What happens if you over-tighten the nut on the bottom of the wing windows?

Bobacuda
Go to solution Solved by Young Ed,

Before someone brings it up, yes I have a shop manual and a parts manual and they are not helpful with my wing window problem.  I have also searched this site and added my frustrations to a link started by Don Babb on this subject.

While going through old posts trying to figure out why my wing window is so out of whack, I came across a post that advised "Do not over-tighten the nut on the bottom."  Problem is, they never said what the consequences of "over-tightening" that nut are (the 1/2' nut that tightens the spring on the very bottom of the vent). 

Could over-tightening be why my wing window is so out of whack?

I'm open to suggestions that don't require voodoo or animal sacrifice at this stage of the rebuild.

Thanks.

one result would be pulling the shaft out of the base of the wing vent itself...second could be twisting the shaft off as I think if memory is correct that they only threaded so far up....if you have the assembly put together right with the plates in the right position..you should be able to tighten the vent to a nice snug but yet smoothly moveable tension ...

PA -

It moves great, but it does not align with its own frame worth a flip.  I have about 1/8 to 1-4 inch gap between the top of the metal around the glass and the top of the vent window gasket & frame.

• Solution

If you over tighten the spring it will be very hard or impossible to open. Could also result in breaking as PA mentioned. That spring provides tension to hold it open when out in the wind but you have to find the right balance.

• Like 1

Hank -

The windows were aligned and worked fine until I took the door apart for painting and to replace all of the window channel, window rubbers and such.  Now, when I say it was all aligned and worked fine, consider that was with all worn out window channels, window rubbers and such :rolleyes:

Ed -

Before I read your response, I took the vent window out and loosened it to the point of flopping back and forth and tightened it several times all the way to the point it barely moved.  None of that affected my problem so I have confirmed what you said, that nut only sets the tension to hold the vent open.

Finally, I have tried every adjustment and I have reached the conclusion that I am going to put the other door together and see if I have the same problem.  Basically, if the glass in the vent was about 1/8" taller toward the siding window side, that would take care of the vent frame not making proper contact with the top of the vent window rubber.  Next, looking at some old photos of my truck, I am beginning to believe that the vent windows edge towards the sliding glass was originally cut at a slight angle, which would eliminate the problem of not being able to adjust the window to compensate for the sliding window having a larger gap to the bottom of the vent than at the top.

the spring tension is for the glass pivot resistance..the unit sit into a opening and has no contact with the door metal..at least all mine fits in said manner...

the glass must fit the metal frame properly and be seated using glass setting tape..to use an adhesive will not account for proper depth position glass to frame..ideally the glass will have the same exposed lip from the metal ends to meet with the sealing riser onf the glass or permanent divider depending on door structure..the frame of the door should hold the vent seal..question is, is the seal of the right physical size to contact the door and overlap the vent asembly all around and still cover on each leading edge inside and out of the vent glass and as the glass pivots and conforms to make the seal.  Your door glass also should be set to tape in the riser,,the leading metal part of the glass if equipped and moveable with the riser is also critical in its position...if the door post vent frame is rigid..then you are now back to the very vent seal itself...many remakers of these seals are often out a bit on their dimension...many are quite small as they used a pattern of considerable age and did not make proper allowances for the shrinkage..this is especially true of the contours of the seal as it touches the door frame and of the overlaying rubber that is the seal to the glass as it opens and closes..

do you have a close up picture of what you are dealing with...post one of the original position and that of your added hole position..

New glass cut and installed in the metal frames by a local company that is one of the few left willing to work on old vehicles.  Most of my photos are not that clear, but I'll make several attempts.  Look at the edge of the vent wing glass to the fuzzy on the sliding window.  Gap at the bottom, damn near overlapped at the top.

post-2050-0-16068600-1441130629_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-81032000-1441131041_thumb.jpg

The heavy frame that the vent rubber attaches to is not the problem.  However, the vent window frame that holds the glass barely closes at the top with the rubber.  I was thinking if the glass were a little "taller." that would make the frame (which bends easily) make more contact with the rubber.  At the time the glass guy is doing that, I was  thinking about having some "custom glass cutting to match up with the sliding window.  Hope to spend a few more hours of quality time with the windows tomorrow after work before pursuing this.

Anyhow, any ideas or thoughts readily accepted - "is anybody going to San Antone?" ( ;) or should I say, anyone that knows how to properly align the windows near San Antonio, TX?)

Looking on the bright side, this problem has allowed me to work on anger management, emotional control, and dealing with frustration...

post-2050-0-84957000-1441131468_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-01924900-1441131625_thumb.jpg

After looking at the pictures I'd say the following are your potentials:

1. wrong glass size/shape
  2. right glass set wrong
  3. when you set the top of the wing it isn't in the right place (new rubber on FEF took a bit of push to get it where it needed to be)
  4. the adjustment of the roll up might be off
  5. combo of all of the above