1934 1 1/2 ton dually 65mph?

X53Gunner

I have a 1934 1 1/2 ton dually stake bed. The previous owner completely had engine rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. I'm getting a top speed of 45 if she is lucky, and that seems normal from the info I can find. Am I chasing my tail trying to keep the 218 and the dually rear end and try to get 65 out of her? Would just love to keep her original and still take her on a trip or two. Anybody can drop a v8 in them. Thanks so much for your time!

Scott

post-5264-0-05711700-1440470022_thumb.jpg

With the original dually rear diff and stock trans, I don't think over 45 is possible, or likely safe with its current braking. I would imagine it's 4:10 or so gearing, and at 45 you must already be revving around 3000+? There is the big debate on the flathead engine, but your most limiting factor is likely your rear diff, which could be swapped out for a different one, but I'm not sure how hard it is to find one of that width and something that you can make your drive shaft work with

If you have decent sized tires and 4.1 your should be able to get to 60 at about 3200 - 3400 rpm. I would not be surprised though as a 1-1/2 ton it is actually lower than 4.1 or a 2 speed rear end.  Brakes are always a concern especially it they are not properly maintained or adjusted.  Todd F. (one of the mods) has a calculator on his '33 Ply site for road speed based on tire size and gear ratio: http://www.ply33.com/Misc/speed

I have no problem replacing transmission. Would regear the rear-end if that's possible on these earlier rear ends also. I understand the brakes issue and at this point unless I can run faster not concerned with them at this time. I would just like to keep the farm truck dually look with stock motor. By the time I implant a larger motor and new trans. I would rather spend it in edgy parts and a overdrive or new trans and keep my flat head. Just wondering if anyone may have the magical combination or idea of on.

By the way I would like to say thanks ahead of time for all your help.. Without forums like this and people like you guys sharing your knowledge, it would be awfully hard learning what works and what doesn't without spending a lot of money in trial and error. So a big thanks goes out to everyone.

my '51 has the low geared rear diff and honestly as much of a PITA as it is driving under 50 mph, I feel safer with his weight and brake set up as it is.  The NEXT truck is to go fast!  ;)

you also have to take aero dynamics into mind.  You are basically pushing a barn door down the road, plus the rolling resistance of 6 tires.  compared to a 201 in a car, there is a lot of work being done before you even talk about sustained cruising speed, let alone add a ton and a half of goods.  You need to ascertain the ratio of the differential than start from there.  Remember what the roads were like in 31.  back then you would have been hard pressed to get to 45 or 50 on anything but the Lincoln highway.  The truck was designed for a different world, and most of that was related to working not cruising to the Ice cream stand.  Also take a look and see if you have a dual speed rear end there should be tags on the dash explaining it use of so equipt.  

The truck doesn't have anything on the dash referring to a 2 speed rear end. Truck was restored 15 years ago so could have been removed. Could you explain what I should look for to see if I by chance do have one. Also how to engage it if I do. I'm a fabricator of motorcycles and own a couple classic cars, so I'm very mechanical just new to this old of a truck. Alway wanted one and love the smile it puts on my face!

Wow x53gunner what a bute! :)  

don't know how to direct a reply to a previous thread but, in my thread of "2 ton of fun" response 27 and 28 show the two speed set up on a couple later trucks.

hope that helps some?

I have a 1934 1 1/2 ton dually stake bed. The previous owner completely had engine rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. I'm getting a top speed of 45 if she is lucky, and that seems normal from the info I can find. Am I chasing my tail trying to keep the 218 and the dually rear end and try to get 65 out of her? Would just love to keep her original and still take her on a trip or two. Anybody can drop a v8 in them. Thanks so much for your time!

Scott

Very nice, looks like you did it right. I dont think you will ever make a cruiser out of it . I have a 49 1 1/2 ton B1F 128 with a 230 engine that has head cut .080 it will run 55 MPH but doesnt like it, still fun though!!!!!  

Thanks guys! I'm one of those people that think there is always a way. I'm leaning towards a transmission adapter to put a 5 speed in her. Do you guys no if I can buy gears to swap into the rear? Maybe another dually rear you guys have found that works? Or what I would need to look for in junk yards? She would then still be running the flat head have a standard in it with dually. Would look the part but maybe be able to cruise a bit faster. Thanks again for all your thoughts! I absolutely love this thing!

You may be able to do the T5 swap, but they're not exactly the beefiest 5 speed out there when they come out of the S trucks, but as just a cruiser, I'm sure it would be fine. Do some drum to drum measurements, and you should find something that will fit with some modifications....may just have to cut and weld on new spring perches.

If its a 2 speed rear, you should have an arm coming out the front top of the differential connected to either a rod that goes to a lever in the cab to shift it between high and low, or a vacuum can with plumbing to handle the shifting chores via a button/cable on the shift lever.   I had a 39 that had a cast lever with a cast knob bolted to the transmission cover that controlled the shifting of the rear.  My 49 has a vacuum shift setup to handle those tasks.  I would suspect that even with an original 2 speed, that the low side ration is 8.XX to 1, and the high side near 6.XX to 1.  So even with a 2 speed she wasn't a speed demon.  Like someone said with that original 201 in there, you'll be asking a lot of it to maintain a higher cruise speed especially with any type of load on even the slightest incline.

I don't think you need to go 65 mph to enjoy it.....my opinion of course.

Seems that going that fast will only break things that don't need breaking.

The only 1 1/2 ton I've seen capable of doing 65 (meaning I didn't see it do it) was George's 38.

He put a 4BT in it and I believe he modified the frame and brakes to accommodate the added power.

I don't remember what tranny he had.

Otherwise, it is a beautiful truck. ^_^

48D

That's a really nice truck and bike! Just think if you're top speed is only 45 mph that means more people will be able to see your awesome truck cruise by. :D :D

-Chris

lets see....you doing 45, they doing 75...they see the rear bumper close as they are nose dive breaking for your slow butt on the freeway....and as they go by...are they looking at the car/truck or to see just who is this guy behind the wheel who happens to be hindering traffic...yeah yeah I know it says 45 is minimum...but think of the poor slob behind you with a trailer...and cannot switch lanes to traffic fighting to slow without fishtailing....now you will fit in nice and get lots of looks only in parking lot rush hour traffic..

Still not as obnoxious as the RV crowd...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks for the kind comments and brainstorming. 48Dodger I was actually looking at the 4bt and even 6bt. I love fabricating, (actually bent the entire frame on the bike, started with just straight tubing) was thinking I could box the frame and a few other things. You wouldn't be able to point me in a post were he has info on doing the swap would you? I understand all sides on the disc brake no disk brake, 45 is fast enough these trucks weren't designed for faster speeds ect. However I believe that it would be way cool to use it instead of having it hide in a garage somewhere. For instance would love to tow my boat to go fishing, take my kayaks bike and camper camping. Go on a small trip with it. So I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have really been leaning towards the Cummins deisel 4bt or 6bt with a different trans and newer dually rear end. She would at least be all dodge have power for days, and cruise at a safe speed down the highway. Lots of work, but I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Edited by X53Gunner

I hope you find a solution that works out for you. You should be able to use this truck as you wish. It is a beauty.

I doubt very much that the small flathead is going to make the cut. And I am not a fan of the racket diesels make. I know this suggestion might not be real popular but I think I would look at finding a late model dually chassis with gasoline power and modify it to work. Might not cost an arm and a leg if you are able to find something that is close to the correct size.

Jeff

PS love the bike. I have a couple old AJS M/C's

I have never been a proponent of chassis migration when the original chassis is not damage or rusted away.  Many modern components are easily transferred from a donor to retro in just a matter of hours..and the transformation is just the best of combined worlds...in all honesty to think that you can work these time machine to that of modern standards with just a couple bolt on parts here and there is a fools paradise.  Your stock engine and gearing of the era was well suited for the speed limit of the time, unimproved roads and less crowded highways.  To enjoy as such today one would best be out on the highways between the hours of 1 and 5 AM

Majority of the people drawn to this hobby is out of a love for the era in respect to the design not so much the function..hence the need to get more speed and better handling braking etc...one can build his engine to the 9's but if his gearing is left stock..it is a fruitless effort..his zero to 45 time may be better..but you still at 45...and even with that same thinking on the flathead many here will not propel it down the road at the busy 3600 rpm for which it is designed to work and think that anything over 2600 is at hand grenade threshold..

Considering the entire built is what is needed...most all here that have built their engines has found that the gearing now sucks the big one..maintaining stock assemblies while looking for better ratio components is a waste of time as few are available and much much father in between.  If this were not true then the flathead would still be alive today..the national speed limit would be 50.   Even the small lawn mower engines has spanned to include OHV's and many other modern improvements.  Technology advances for a reason...and granted a few examples should remain of our past..but I feel these should be limited to the museums and the AACA folks who love to pull a trailer on the highways..sit around with go to hell hats and baggy checkered pants. discussing last nights meal of mush and pabulum.