Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, austinsailor said:

Damn, don't let that get around - someone will think I built it!

I am no expert on late 60's GM cars,or much of anything else,but that sure looks like the front end of a front wheel drive Olds Toronado to me.

Not so sure FWD is an option you would want with that much weight to the rear.

My neighbor has a motorhome that is FWD with a 454 GM motor in it. Of course it's more purpose built not 1/2 a car combined with a trailer. 

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I am no expert on late 60's GM cars,or much of anything else,but that sure looks like the front end of a front wheel drive Olds Toronado to me.

Not so sure FWD is an option you would want with that much weight to the rear.

Yes, that is a Toronado.   And the FWD setup precludes the driveshaft and differential which would make it difficult to use in an Airstream. Those things are not very heavy anyway.   It's fugly but I think it would work.

Current electric Fed Ex vans while quieter than the diesels are still somewhat noisy/whiny!

Wonder if these will be very quiet?  Doors not slamming shut?

Remote controls for door closing/locks?

Interesting look though!

DJ

2 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Current electric Fed Ex vans while quieter than the diesels are still somewhat noisy/whiny!

Wonder if these will be very quiet?  Doors not slamming shut?

Remote controls for door closing/locks?

Interesting look though!

DJ

Since about 2012 Prius cars have had a whiny noise maker installed behind the grill that makes speed dependent noise up to about 20 MPH. It is to warn pedestrians of your approach.

I've read that the Feds will be requiring something like that on all electric vehicles starting sometime in the near future.

3 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Yes, that is a Toronado.   And the FWD setup precludes the driveshaft and differential which would make it difficult to use in an Airstream. Those things are not very heavy anyway.   It's fugly but I think it would work.

Obviously it did work on at least some level or the photo of it parked on a street wouldn't have been taken.

Just seems "wrong" to me.

44 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

Since about 2012 Prius cars have had a whiny noise maker installed behind the grill that makes speed dependent noise up to about 20 MPH. It is to warn pedestrians of your approach.

I've read that the Feds will be requiring something like that on all electric vehicles starting sometime in the near future.

Now that you mention it,I remember reading that electric cars in 1912 (the one example I remember clearly) in one city were required to have someone walk in front of it and ring a bell to warn people it was coming.

In fact,IIRC,some people speculated back then that the fact they were so quiet is the prime reason why they weren't successful.

Remember,prior to 1920 almost nobody took long trips in cars,and since rural areas didn't even have electricity,they were only sold to people living in cities.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, lonejacklarry said:

Here is a photo of the 70's GMC motorhome with a Olds Toronado Drive train.  Vintage but still popular.

gmc.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis_MN said:

Here is a photo of the 70's GMC motorhome with a Olds Toronado Drive train.  Vintage but still popular.

gmc.jpeg

Thanks,I had no idea GM ever made them. Pretty nice-looking rig,too, Of course,being a GM within 50k miles the doors will be dropping 3 inches when you open them,the windows won't work,etc,etc,etc.

27 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

How to move your toolbox.

toolbox.png

YIKES! It looks like those itty-bitty bearings in the box wheels are getting a little hot.

I'm guessing that trip didn't end well,AND it cost him a WHOLE lot more than it would have cost to have rented a truck for the day.

21 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I read this crime scene as the impetuous mechanic who either got PO'ed and quit and left on the spot or got fired and had to leave on the spot...no one who loves tools would do that with any forethought

I am half-way thinking the guy spotted the box unattended somewhere,and stole it. Yeah,people do dumb stuff everyday,but it's hard to picture someone who knows what that box and those tools in it cost trying to do something THAT stoopid.