Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

• 2 weeks later...

My mom tells a similar story about her Dad's '38 Buick.  This was in the early '50s, so the car wasn't a spring chicken.  She was hanging partially out the front passenger window when he made a turn and the door she was playing on opened.  She said she knew better because that door would occasionally open when they hit a good bump while turning, and her Dad was scolding her.  So the door was open, and she was hanging in the window.  Of course, the inertia of stopping the car held the door open until the car stopped.  She thought it was loads of fun, her Dad wasn't pleased.  My Mom is the youngest of 7 siblings, and was apparently the hellion of the family...not by her account...but by my grandma's.

• Like 1

Nay, a Jeep with what appears to be a GMC.

Good thing he made it off the freeway where he was doing 70 mph!  ?

DJ

I watched some yo-yos trying to tow a Skiploader on a tandem trailer behind a Jeep CJ five. They had a little too much tongue weight so they move the loader back on the trailer until the balance was better.

As they pulled out of the lot they went over a small speed bump very slowly. I watched as the rear wheels of the jeep came right off the ground, spun in the air for a second, and then burn rubber as they hit the tarmac.

That caused the jeep to lurch forward which caused the second wheel of the tandem trailer to hit the speedbump.

This time it bottomed out the rear suspension of the jeep scraping a big gash in the pavement with the hitch ball bolt.

That actually loosened the trailer hitch and as they proceeded I could see them wobble into the distance.

They probably wound up in the bottom of a canal somewhere.

Edited by Ulu

Only in ? would anyone want to be seen driving this . 

Must be in Afghanistan. Otherwise I would not even guess!

Improvised bomb?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

I have no words to describe my feelings ... any have a few words?

image.png.b6e26296410040c27f1b56a5754be4a1.png

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

I have no words to describe my feelings ... any have a few words?

image.png.b6e26296410040c27f1b56a5754be4a1.png

yeah...ashes to ashes...dust to dust...sinfully ugly and full of rust...crushing this thing falls under MAKE AMERICA BEAUTIFUL  

Reminds me of a story... 

Several years ago I was riding my Gold Wing down in Tennessee, coming up US441 into Gatlinburg. We were slowly catching a group of Harley riders and I soon realized that we would catch up to them right at the entrance to a tunnel. You can probably guess what they started doing. Well... I happened to have a set of air horns on my Wing, so I thumbed the horn button and held it until I came out the other end of the tunnel. When I exited the tunnel I let off the horns and keyed up the CB mic to say, to my riding buddy behind me, “I can make noise too.” He was laughing so hard he could hardly talk, but he managed to let me know those Harley guys got off the throttles and were looking around trying to figure out where the truck was. He had the same thought as we approached the other riders, and the tunnel, and he knew what I was going to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, linus6948 said:

Willets Point Queens Junkyard Row circa 1963, some nice cars were always piled up there during my boyhood.

image.png.1710618f66772c0c0ed87a74c407131e.png

That is a really interesting picture. Thanks for posting. What we now consider antiques were once just old cars ready for the wrecker.

• Like 1

Alas, what gets me is that in that pile of cars, there are many that are in much better condition than a lot of what's currently out there for us to choose from...

• Like 2

I have been to many junkyards in my day and I even worked in one for a brief time,

But I have never seen anything like that up close! 

I can show you one similar right now, cars are stacked in a helter skelter fashion as shown.......they do this till the crusher shows up on site....crusher here is a roving contractor thing.  They set the crane in one place...the crusher nearby and they can clean out the pile with fewer crane movements.  Macon may have one on permanent setup but that is a bit far to go to drop off a carcass...so I cannot say what they may have.