Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

how close have you been to either model?   

IMG_2043.JPG

I heard they were going to introduce a 4 door. They were going to call it a "we go". Then I heard they were going to build a motorcycle and call it a "I go"

Ok, I'll go back to my corner! 

A friend/coworker of mine drove a Yugo in the late '80's that just wouldn't die.  He couldn't make right-hand turns without first having a plan to hold the driver's door closed, windows only worked intermittently (not a good thing with no AC and being in south Texas) and he had to check the rearview mirror for parts every time he hit railroad tracks over 20 mph, but it just kept on running.  He isn't a "car guy" by any stretch of the imagination, all that mattered to him was that it started and ran "OK", so he swore by it regardless of the ribbing he got from us.  Only got rid of it because he got married, had a kid, and had to take his loved ones' well-being into consideration. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

plenty of cheap cars out there,  some cost more money than other and yet does  not move them up in quality.....I ask you what I did because so many folks have and or make opinions without ever having seen the item(s) in question.....The 2CV is very rugged thought it is low cost and spartan beyond spartan in dress....they accelerate to top speed within the same week they started....they have quite following, probably one of the most produced model car in history....many are retrofitted today with later Citroen engines from other models....they are in my opinion a toy as is the Isetta an other bubble gum cars...I tooled around one summer in an Isetta.

and from what an owner told me once an active black market that fudges the year of manufacture to get them into the US. She said her car was really about 10 years newer than the title said

• Like 1

Mmm, Breyer's ice cream...and looks like an AP (Associated Press) recreation of some newsworthy event, old-timey cop and forthright citizen (with what looks like at least a 10 gauge blunderbuss) fending off some evil-doer(s).  

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 5:28 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

looks like a Browning.....

Yep, at least a Browning patent.  Remington and Savage both made near identical versions.  Don't think they ever made anything over 12ga, and 32 in barrel.  I shot thousands of rounds through my grandad's 12 Savage version back in the 50's/early 60's. He let me start using it when I was 13.  Hunted every weekend on his farm for years.  He wouldn't allow the action to be readjusted for lower power loads either.  I had to use the max velocity loads available at the time 2 3/4", 3 3/4Dr Eq powder charge, 1 1/4 oz shot if my memory is any good.  Peters was the preferred brand.  Those where great guns, but the recoiling barrel action sure kick a 100 lb kid!

the Remington Model 12 was built on the A5 also....have put many loads though an A5 and a model 12....the model 12 came into the family used, needed some light work....I went through that gun shortly after getting it.....never failed to eject after....still like the A5 best however....similar can be said of it as the Dodge Caravan, the first is still the first...just got a Remington 870, while not an 500A...still shoot well, the release could be better positioned....

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the Remington Model 12 was built on the A5 also....have put many loads though an A5 and a model 12....the model 12 came into the family used, needed some light work....I went through that gun shortly after getting it.....never failed to eject after....still like the A5 best however....similar can be said of it as the Dodge Caravan, the first is still the first...just got a Remington 870, while not an 500A...still shoot well, the release could be better positioned....

The only issue we ever encountered with the Savage version was an occasional multi discharge.  Let me tell you, when you weigh 100-110 lbs and that thing empties all three rounds when the trigger was pulled,  it hurts.  Gunsmith fixed that for us.

I think your Remington may have been an 11, as I recall the 12 being a great pump action.  The 11 was replaced by the 11/48.  Nearly the same action, cheapened with stampings and the receiver rounded off, no classic square shape.

Edited by kencombs

you probably right about it being an 11 as it has been many years since I have seen the gun, I kept if for my brother for a good number of years till he got a place he could call his own and protect and keep it secure.  The square back was a distinct feature....I just always liked that look....

One day I am going to take a few of my guns out and shoot a few rounds.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

if it is  indeed a 10 guage synonymous with goose hunting, odd are the recoil is going to complete his squat action....been a long time since I shot a full metal cartridge 10 gauge...in a 32 inch barrel

We had in our family my great grand father's over under 10 gauge goose gun.  Don't recall the manufacturer but it had a very long barrel and weighed about 12 pounds.  My cousins had the grand idea of going goose hunting around thanksgiving time.  So we broke out a couple 12 gauges and the 10 gauge which I ended up with.  With no shot gun experience we went afield to a neighboring  farm, yes we got permission and the farmer even asked to see our hunting licenses.  We went out of one of his recent harvested corn field , which had a light covering of snow atop The hard frozen ground.  We put down a canvass ground cloths and then pulled old sheets over us to blend in with the snow.  We awaited the flock to arrive, pulled up on them and fired.  I forgot my shoulder was in contact with the frozen ground  when the 10 gauge fired it had no place to go.  I had a big purple bruise for about 3 weeks, and also learned to eat, and write left handed.. Never fired that thing again!

Not quite this but it felt that way...

punt_gun_color-1280x720.jpg

• Like 1

I believe that be much larger than 10 gauge.  It's a "punt gun" that is mounted on a "punt boat".  The boats were very shallow to the water and the hunter would drift as close as possible to a flock/flight of "sitting ducks" or geese.   When the birds jumped off the water, the hunter fired killing a good number.  My Grandfather was a punter and hunting guide in the flats where the Detroit River empties into Lake Erie circa 1910 or so.

Edited by mrwrstory
added text
  • Like 1