Interesting photos I have run across.

Don Coatney
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:18 PM, knuckleharley said:

I'm shocked a VW bug has enough power to move all that bondo.

I have one of those stencils across the top of the rear window on mine - "40hp - Just Go Around".  Thinking of putting a mirror image on the front so it can be read in a rear-view mirror - "There, Feel Better?"

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I have one of those stencils across the top of the rear window on mine - "40hp - Just Go Around".  Thinking of putting a mirror image on the front so it can be read in a rear-view mirror - "There, Feel Better?"

I had a couple of VW bugs in the early 70's. Don't remember the HP of the newer one only a couple of years old,but the first was a 61 convertible with 36 hp. That was when I found out I was driving uphill to get home. The car would actually run 5 mph faster going away from home than going back home.

The old bugs were truly fun cars for young people to own,though. You could take off and play Boy Racer with them every time you left a parking spot in perfect safety because they wouldn't really go fast enough to hurt you. Yet you still had all the fun of winding it out and speed shifting,just like you were accomplishing something.

I remember getting drunk one day and using a hammer and chisel to cut away most of the fenders,and putting the wheels and tires from a junk Pontiac on it so I could go riding on the sand dunes and the  beach. It didn't last long after that. Weak transaxle.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Just now, linus6948 said:

osha.jpg

I don't know how much they are paying that guy on the top forklift,but it ain't enough.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dennis_MN said:

Attended a car show in Buffalo Minnesota this morning and spotted the best looking Woody

Looks to me to be a 1940.  I'd show the rear view but I reached my limit on Megs somehow.

1941 pretty sure I know the owner...

I am always amazed that any of those things managed to survive. They had a resale value of approximately "I will tow it away for you and not charge you very much" once they were about 10 years old or the wood started coming apart. Weren't even worth much for scrap because there wasn't much steel,and nobody had any interest in fixing one up because it cost so much money.

Yeah,they are worth "stoopid money" now,but they had to survive long  enough to reach "now".

I still remember having a chance to buy a rust-free with original paint 48  Mercury woody that had a 324 Olds V-8 and hydromatic trans in it for 500 bucks when I was living in Denver in the mid-70's. It was a running and driving car with current tags on it,too. If I had a time  machine,you can bet that time and  place would be one of my stops.

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Maybe they loaded his trailer wrong and his first drop was for the front car. He's about to back up and finish the offloading process. :lol:

I'm betting he was more interested in changing his drawers.

On 25.8.2017 at 10:15 PM, BigDaddyO said:

Rare Plymouth Option 3.jpg

Really?

No one liked this?

Anyone have one??

Never seen such set up live.

Would you care to share the story behind this picture? I'd be interested.

The lathe is small, for a particular purpose?

I guess it takes power from the car transmission? Is there a special clutch or do you need to jack up the rear end while turning...?

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

A supercharged straight 8 Packard.

packard.jpg

I guess everybody needs a hobby,but a flathead 8 Packard isn't going to breath any better than any other flathead engine,and I suspect that blower (6-71?) will be underdriven to the point where it doesn't do much.

Pretty cool to look at,though.