1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

19 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

Its a day and night difference. It went from old farm truck to hot rod pretty quick. Its been alot of work to build and troubleshoot issues, but definitely worth it. 

Even a hopped 265 will be nothing like the 315, no replacement for displacements and breathing

7 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Even a hopped 265 will be nothing like the 315, no replacement for displacements and breathing

My old 230 was awesome- so reliable, simple, and transported me back in time to 1954 every time I stepped on the starter. It was a riding mower engine compared to a healthy mopar v8 though. If I ever found a clean truck with a flatty I wouldn’t hesitate to leave it in there. 

That first gen hemi is the holy grail of oldschool hotrodding though and how cool that it isn’t in a chopped ford! 

Still waiting for video Bisquik! Can you get somebody with a steady hand and a smartphone to make a nice startup and drive clip?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

My old 230 was awesome- so reliable, simple, and transported me back in time to 1954 every time I stepped on the starter. It was a riding mower engine compared to a healthy mopar v8 though. If I ever found a clean truck with a flatty I wouldn’t hesitate to leave it in there. 

That first gen hemi is the holy grail of oldschool hotrodding though and how cool that it isn’t in a chopped ford! 

Still waiting for video Bisquik! Can you get somebody with a steady hand and a smartphone to make a nice startup and drive clip?

No I agree against a healthy V8 apples to oranges.

And yes these engines in pure stock form are like big lawn mower engines.

But, a hopped up 230 or 265 shpuld be night and day.

To qualify my statement, I dont mean just buying dual carbs and exhaust 

im talking built engine, custom pistons, much hotter cam profiles, High Comp Head etc.

The difference between a built flattie abd a basic stocker should be huge. But they aint a built Hemi or even a hopped up LA 318..

• Like 1

I will have to get my lifter noise fixed and then I will shoot a good video!

I would agree about the flathead... It was very reliable and a solid motor. They made a great work horse and were fairly easy to get parts for. However, to make the performance I was looking for, it would of been a pretty radical flathead. This seemed like the best way to go and not to mention the retro cool factor!

• Like 2

Hotrod magazine posted up a video and the 55 is about 1:25 in. There are a ton of cool cars in there, even the Christine car!

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/250-photos-viva-las-vegas-2019-rockabilly-weekend/?fbclid=IwAR3dZgsD0yrjw71fXFb3yz2XTiC_h26JoJPJJhZxYg1P_cuVdrYalneRCrc

I never thought about comparing the flathead six to a "lawn mower engine". I can't think of one thing they would have in common other than gasoline and four strokes.

Regardless, the old hemi in this C-series is totally cool.

A Briggs & Stratton V-twin in a Pilot House pedal truck would be the cat's a**!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

I never thought about comparing the flathead six to a "lawn mower engine". I

The original briggs and srtatton engine is a flathead ... we used it for decades.

My current lawnmower is a over head valve engine, I have little faith in it, as it smokes on startup since new

• Haha 1

I remember....it was 2006.....I was at a historical drag strip, Kingdon Drags, running in the nostalgic weekend event. 

I was lined up against a 1940's coupe..stock rims and tires or sorts...looked real vintage...a rat rod of sorts.

I was in my 1972 Charger Stock car which has an aggressive look and feel...500hp 408 stroker with medium open headers. Sounded mean.

His flat six was chirping away, sweating bullets and shaking like a fearful contender.

Secretly I liked his ride and hoped he'd put up a decent fight.

Then I noticed my timing....it was jumping. It turned out later that my distributor shaft was bent.

As we pulled off the line, the light brilliantly green, the engine began to sigh, and go flat, running, but lacking in effort.

It was as if his L6 had made a deal with my V8....."let me win this straight line, and I'll tow your stuff to the oval track for a week"

He won, and I was concerned about my engine. Later a friend of mine said that the crowd went nuts "The old car is gonna WIN!!!!!!

My friend knew something was a foul, but it was too much fun cheering for the old iron....he had cheered against me. lol

I told him "I didn't let him win...he showed up and raced...he deserved the win"

I never told anyone of circumstance that my engine had failed.....it wasn't the flat 6's fault my engine was toast....he showed up to race.

And I bet you to this day, he still talks about beating a 500hp 408 stroker in a raced prepped 72 Charger with his very special L6 Flattie.

Cheers brother. 

48D   

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great story Tim! You know the thing is he beat you far and square.

He probably just psyched you and your engine out. That happens some times when you least expect it. Makes things interesting for those of us that are big John Henry fans. You know what the best part is? That old flat 6 is probably still runnin

Jeff

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes enjoyed 48dodgers story too.

Even a seriously hopped up 265 is gonna fall short against a hopped up Hemi or as mentioned a hopped up LA 318.

Much easier to conjure up 300 hp with an LA 318 than squeezin out 200 hp with a flattie.

Much the same with the Ford Flathead V8 engine. Big big bucks to create 300 hp, simple and cheap with a 5 litre or a 351.

All engines are sophisticated air pumps. 

Breath in deep, breath out with ease.

Our beloved flatties are a bit asthmatic but have well balanced long stroke systems to make good torque. 

These flatties with turbo or blowers would really wake them up.

Look at a stock slant 6, great engine rugged bottom end bearings, forged cranks and rods well balanced.

An overhead valve design with better potential for natural aspiration than a flattie. But still in stock form they are asthmatic. But add a 2 bbl, headers and cam and just with that they come alive. 

Some of my friends think a hopped 265 might be better than a mildly warmed up 225 for a truck like mine. Im not so sure on that...lol

• 1 month later...

Just out tinkering today. Removed the body plugs and installed the trim pieces below the headlights. I really like the look. I need to pull them back off and have them chromed now so they match everything else.

20190721_193515 (1).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got my overflow installed today. I loved the old Coke bottle, but I needed a more functional catch can.

Still need to tighten all the push rods another half a turn or so to cut down on the noisy valve train, but she sure is fun to drive.

20190804_170248.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fell in love with the speedo bezel that came on the 58. One of the folks posted one on here recently. Actually, I really like the whole 58 cluster too.  The speedo should be he shortly and I can paint or chrome the bezel and put it on my best speedo.

s-l400.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

• 1 month later...

So today I got a wild hair and decided to try something different since I was at a show last weekend and I spotted about 8 cars with the same wheels.

I thought i would try some old school Mooneyes Racing spinners to give it a different look. I am on the fence about the look. The center bullet is a bit much and maybe the American Racing ones with a flat center would of been a better choice. What do you guys think?

Resized_20191010_172417.jpeg

Resized_20191010_172442.jpeg