1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

Thanks. They are actually 17x7 and with the different backspacing, they really fill out the  wheel wells. I believe they are 225/60/17. Up front the 17x7 works the best because of the steering linkages. If you were so inclined, you could run 17x8 or even wider in the back with the right offset. There is plenty of room back there.

As for the Hemi, that is supposed to be a stock 315 for a truck and is marked 56 or 57 on the block. I did find a picture of other 315's with the same double belt and pulley and generator setup.

IMG_1069.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Working on some of the details before sending parts off to powder coat. I cant stand how sloppy some of the castings are. Working on getting them cleaned up and more presentable since its out in plain sight.

Intake Casting.JPG

Intake Casting 2.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

On the way home, I was tired of crusing at 60 and getting blown off the road by trucks. I decided to pick up the pace a little bit and see what she would do. I was able to hold 70 mph all the way home with no issues. After figuring it out on the calculator, that was around 3180 RPM's for about 3 hours. Temps and all seemed good and she sounded pretty happy. Was nice to keep up with traffic!

IMG_1246.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

RPM,s are still below the maximum for your engine. The cheapest way to reduce engine RPM's is to use larger diameter tires on the rear end.

That's a great point. However, in my case I probably would lose enough power with the taller tires to not maintain speed on all the grades. 

As a note... this was probably the last big trip on this engine before the Hemi swap.

Edited by 59bisquik

More progress today. Unloaded the 315 and stripped and cleaned. Made a pile of stuff that will not be going back on and worked on painting. I didnt do the oil pan. Pretty sure I will need the front sump pan from the 270.

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

• Like 3

Pulled the pan today to swap over to the front sump pan. Also pulled a cap to look at the main bearings and remove the check valve in there. I did notive somebody has been in this engine recently. It has a double roller timing set and adjustable push rods  which are definitely not stock and its pretty clean unlike my 270 that was full of sludge.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Thanks for the compliments! If you were at Viva, you shoulda stopped by and chatted! I was hanging around from Thursday till Saturday night.

As for the bags, back in the day it was common for old cars to overheat when traveling in hot temps. Along side the road or at gas stations, you could fill these bags with water and just hang them on the car until needed later in the day. I believe the I-10 headed out to Needles still has the cement wells on the sides of the highway. Now they are just littered with old plastic bottles as people use them.

• Like 1

two comments....

•With a modern spin-on filter the replacement anti-drainback valve is not needed IF you are using a filter designed for horizontal installation.

•When used, the replacement valve should have a 'window' facing the side of the block, 90ø from your position.

• Like 1

Headed down the Riverside Nationals this weekend to support Rubidoux high school and remember the famous pinstriper Wild Bill who just recently passed away. He striped my truck last year at this show.

IMG_1411.JPG

So the frustration level is about to reach its limit here shortly. It seems that nothing is going right with trying to get a period correct V8 in my truck. Yesterday I went to install new head gaskets before installing the engine. Then I find this cylinder issue. Deep pitting and the piston is loose in the bore up at the top of its stroke. Its already .060 over as I just discovered also.

IMG_1436.JPG

Pulled the piston to check for stuck rings or any other reason the piston could be loose besides a worn bore and found the crank has a bur on it also.

IMG_1437.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik