1955 C1B Build Thread

59bisquik

Took it to a show down in Riverside over the weekend. Had some great striping put on the truck. Also won a 2nd place trophy for "lifted truck". What the heck?! She sits pretty low compared to stock with her old sagging springs. I guess I can put new springs on and go higher or start pulling leaves and put her in the dirt. Gotta do something!

Wild Bill Pinstripe.jpg

Wild Bill Pinstripe 2.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got to work today on lowering her altitude... ended up pulling 2 leaves out of the rear pack for a 1 1/2" drop. The new wheels and tires that will get mounted next month will give me another inch and I am debating swapping out the stock shackles for Jeep shackles for even a little more. Next is to rip apart the front axle, replace the springs and send the axle out for new king pins and some altitude adjustments also... stay tuned.

Rear Lower First Attempt.jpg

Rear Lower First Attempt 1.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 5

That would be cool! Last year I was the only 48-56 Dodge truck there with 800+ cars. If you are one of the first 500, it's free entry. It will be mid April 2017. Go to www.vivalasvegas.net to register!

Today I pulled the front axle out. There was alot of play in all of the different joints! Now to find a box big enough to ship this axle in! The new springs should be here next week and the brakes should be here any day. I will have a whole new front suspension shortly.

Front Suspension.jpg

Front Axle.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

So it looks like dodge went to traditional steering on the '55 model which is different than the cross steering on the '53. The axle seems similar but your drag link attaches to the drivers side while on cross steering it attaches to the passenger side. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Just to keep you guys updated... this thread might slow down for a bit. Just talked with Nostalgia Sid and found out there is about an 8 week turn around for a dropped axle service right now. He comes highly recommended and I want it done right, so we shall wait! I have plenty of other things to do in the mean time. I will post up as I get other things done!

Pulled the front springs today to finish stripping the front end. Those shackles are a real PITA to remove. The passenger side was frozen and needed to be cut off. That could explain some rough ride! Hopefully I can get some new front shackles soon and get my new front springs back under her. Still have a lot of work to do before my axle comes home!

• 4 weeks later...

Got rid of the 4 leaf pack due to sagging issues and 60 year old springs... Picked up a new set of rear springs and a set of Willy's shackles. Did the shackle flip and she sits just as low as the 4 leaf pack but with a full 7 leaf pack.

Rear Lower 1.jpeg

Rear Lower 2.jpeg

Rear Lower 3.jpeg

Rear Lower 4.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik

Hand cranks were available with these engines. Why not tune the engine accordingly and then not need such expensive batteries.  Would be fun to walk up to my truck, take out a crank, give it a pull, and drive off!. I do like what you have done with your springs. Nice!. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my axle back from Nostalgia Sid! He added a 3" drop and installed new king pins and bushings. I cant wait to get her installed and the brakes on. Updates coming soon!!!

Axle Before and After.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

Ok guys.... This is the first time out of the garage in a few months. Still a lot to finish up, but sitting on her own suspension again. I love the new stance and look!

First Time Lowered Out.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 5

I got both sets from www.mcveighstruckspring.com. They were a good price and great customer service. They also had good prices on u-bolts which are hard to find in 1 3/4".

Thanks for the compliment!

Started cleaning up the steering arms and mocking up the new brakes. According to my calculations, it should stop 10 million times better. I could be wrong about the factor, I wasnt sure if I was supposed to divide or multiply by 1.21 jigawatts.

Scarebird Discs.jpg

Steering.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

I luv those calipers. Whose kit did you use. Will likely order a kit next week from Old Daddy for my suburban. Then pick up a 98 jeep rear axle with disc brakes on which I have a down payment to put discs front and back.

I like your truck, good work.

It is a Scarebird kit that uses Ranger rotors and GM metric calipers. I went with that over the other kit because it was bolt on instead of having to drill and tap the spindles. Having them freshly installed with the new axle, I really didn't want to pull the spindles back off.

As for the rear, I am tossing around the idea of using explorer rear discs in the factory rear end. I already had to drill out the threads and press in studs for the aluminum wheels. Dropping a disc over that hub and fabbing up a caliper bracket would probably be fairly easy.

Studs Installed.JPG

50's to 60's.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

• 4 weeks later...

Can you tell me which Jeep shackles you used?   Did you use these in front too with the drop axle?  I wasn't sure if you did the fronts as well. 

It looks like they mount into the original mounts?  Trucks looking great!  How's it steer with the new axle?  Any bump steer issues?  

Edited by 4msfamly
Clarifying question

They were from a 53 Willy's. About $10 a piece at Rockauto.com and are a direct bolt up, just shorter. There is a thread asking about them with the actual link and part number. They won't work in the front as they would interfere with the tranny x-member. I just dropped the axle and removed one leaf.

As for the steering, I hope to have it drivable this weekend. I have to bend the steering arm on the driver side down 3" so there will be no bump steer. Even though I haven't driven mine yet, I got the tips from Kevin Stubbs who has one with the same drop and kit. He has no issues. But I will report out when I get her on the road.