Battery cut off switch do you use one?

White Spyder

O/k, well my cars a hotrod, since 1973 and I've had this battery cutout switch since the mid 70's.....the battery is in the trunk, with the positive battery cable running thru the car floor up to one side of this switch mounted inside the Valiant console, the other side of the switch has the cable running down to the starter solenoid..........I never leave the car with the switch key in it, just a habit....it isolates the battery from any chance of a slow leak thru the wiring(done by me .....lol after about 4 goes) and seems to work fine........have attached the only pic I have showing where its mounted on the side of the Dodges console, however have also included a pic of the engine bay of my 1941 Plymouth(now sold) which had the same switch installed by a previous owner and the pic shows the red "key" on the right hand side of the pic.......dunno if these help........Andy Douglas

post-612-0-60749600-1438762046_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71761300-1438762546_thumb.jpg

I use cable clamps that are detachable.   i just unscrew and detach a cable when working on the wiring or don't want the engine to start.  (I have an auxiliary battery, in series, to provide 12 volts for accessories.  That battery has the same style of clamps.  

post-126-0-37249500-1438769110_thumb.jpg

I have used this style of switch........but lately they have become very hard to find.  I had to order this one from someone on

eBay.

DSC01443.jpg

I put it on the firewall because there was already a hole of the right diameter there due to having a driver's

side heater which I did not replace.  A person could drill a hole in any spot they deem handy.  That way, you 

can operate the switch from inside the car instead of having to open the hood each time.  Being under the

dash, it is somewhat hidden from view........might act as a theft deterrent if the thief did not have much time to

look things over on the car.  I had to buy an extra,  short section of battery cable for this installation.

DSC00219.jpg

• Like 1

There are also these style......you have to open the hood, but you just turn the knob and do not have to disconnect

the two parts of the cable as shown above.    (or maybe it does come apart.....I can't recall)

100_2104.jpg

Some of these things can be found at auto supply stores, or on the internet, or on eBay.

I would check them out to see which you like best.

Edited by BobT-47P15

On our old cars with pushbutton starters, the thief would probably break off the key in the ignition switch trying to

turn it so it will start.  Most would not know about the pushbutton or the pedal you step on.

I am not worried about theft (protected by 140gr at 1200ft/sec) but battery drain.  I have not had an issue yet because I disconnect the ground wire from the battery. Due to my work schedule that the car goes a few weeks without getting run and I want to make it easy to disconnect.

Edited by White Spyder

I am not worried about theft (protected by 140gr at 1200ft/sec) but battery drain.  I have not had an issue yet because I disconnect the ground wire from the battery. Due to my work schedule that the car goes a few weeks without getting run and I want to make it easy to disconnect.

My friend uses one like the attached from Summit and loves it.

Other are for your choice if it is easy but maybe a few too many $$ ;)

remote battery disconnect-summit racing.htm

Battery Disconnects.htm

Since my car isn't driven every day, I installed one identical to the one in the photo posted by Bob T47-p15.   You just turn the green knob counter clockwise a few turns to break the connection, but don't actually have to remove it. A few turns back and the connection is made again. It's a simple installation made right at the battery itself, and I haven't had an issue with the battery discharging since.  

I use my knobbie type disconnecting cable clamps to shut off the power when I'm fiddling with the electrical system or getting metal objects near electrically hot things, like the starter solenoid posts. Otherwise, I leave the clamps connected, to keep my clock running.  Oh, did I tell you, I fixed my clock?  That soothing tick, tick, tick, like my dad's cars...

There are also these style......you have to open the hood, but you just turn the knob and do not have to disconnect

the two parts of the cable as shown above.    (or maybe it does come apart.....I can't recall)

100_2104.jpg

Some of these things can be found at auto supply stores, or on the internet, or on eBay.

I would check them out to see which you like best.

I use the style in this photo. For safety I like to disconnect my battery, over the years I have seen cars catch on fire in dealerships do to wiring shorting out on manifolds etc. while left overnight. Easy to use and why not be safe than sorry.

The only negative thing about my battery cutoff switch as pictured........was that at some point in the past three years (while the car was being repaired from

tornado damage and was sitting), the switch went bad somehow.   When I got the car home, it would not start and run.  I finally tried bypassing that switch,

and the car started right up.  So I eventually found a replacement switch of the same style - and all will be good again.     

What Mr Coatney said is true.........if your battery is constantly draining down, then you have some electrical problem.  Which is not too hard to believe given

all the old, brittle and cracked wiring in these cars.  There was no drain when all this stuff was new............

These old cars dont have draws with the switch off. If it does it has issues. I could see using a disconnect do fire safety concerns. Especially if the original wiring and the amp meter are being used. But that would only benefit you while it's parked and the disconnect open.

Earl

I tried one of these and saw so much current drop across the switch the car would barely turn over. Took it off and it started fine. Their a 6 volt version that has more contact area?

I tried one of these and saw so much current drop across the switch the car would barely turn over. Took it off and it started fine. Their a 6 volt version that has more contact area?

I did not search very hard but the only ones I found with amperage ratings seemed to be for 12v systems.

I replaced all the wiring when refurbishing the car and don't worry about having a battery shut off switch. And even if I wanted one I am not sure how to mount it, getting to the battery which is located under the seat is not something I want to do every time I park the car.