cab swaps 1948 b1c

alright guys you all know i have restored a 1950 dodge pickup its an all original truck with numbers matching everything so i have another truck for parts its a 1948 but its engine and drive train are pretty much gone but i ran into yet another free truck a 1979 dodge power wagon w150 it has a 360 v8 in it that runs a little rough but it sat for 15 years and i got it to fire rite up the truck howerver is in decent shape but the dash and everything is ruined and the floor has decent rust. so what im thinking is i have two options junk the 48 and use that cash to fix the 79 and have just a nice power wagon that i can use to junk around with and play...or i could take the body off the 48 and do a simple and i mean simple cab swap no ac no cruise control or what not just power brakes and power steering etc i think it could be a fairly simple job since the 48 is a flat bed truck so i wont have to worry about the wheel base and track width because the truck has a mild lift to it. what do you guys think of this idea and is there anyone out there whos done a similar project this will  probably be done in my highschool shop id imagine some simple body mounts since theres only 6 bolts that hold the trucks cab and fenders to the frame so i dont imagine it would be to difficult and then ill just wire up my own wiring harness only using the essentials lights brakes fan and on of switch pretty much basic.. the cruise control and stuff would be nice but lets face it i dont need it... im not sure i love the style of the 79 as it is its just kinda a rough body for what it is...just give me your thoughts on what you think i should do thank you!! also im only 17 so tips would be great !!!

Track width is a concern if swapping the cab onto the  later chassis.  You'll have  about half of the tire hanging out of the front fenders.  That said, I suppose some type of fender flare could be fabbed up to  extend over the tire.  Our forum moderator is doing something similar with his TODD project, having acquired some flares from a larger tonnage Pilothouse and he may have also acquired the longer fenders and hood panels since the wheel well openings are larger diameter.

Measure across the front of the tires on both trucks to see how much difference there is.

11141213_577342055739776_272518776511259

i figured since the truck will be lifted and stuff the wider track width would just make it look a bit meaner the powerwagon is a 4x4 thats the point of this swap im wanting to make a towing truck so i can hall the old original around due to the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere and taking it across the interstate to car shows is pretty sketchy so i figured hell i have two more trucks lets make a beast but this pick rite here is my intentions but more of a ratrod than this just kinda a mean old hauler any tips you guys have i mean it seems fairly simple but so does tieng your shoes at 2 years old but its still prettty damn rough! really hope i get to tackle this project ill post pics of the original truck i restored here in a bit but this is my goal but i wanna make it look more factory 

Well anything can be done....but there is no such thing as an easy swap, or just drop on and ... It's going to take major modifications and metal work to make it fit even 1/2 decently on there, including cutting out the 48 firewall in places and floor for the 360/the trans and the diff selector shifter, not to mention trying to fit the original booster and the steering column into place. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, and I myself have a 51 Ford 1 ton sitting here that I'd like to wedge onto a 95 F150 5.8L truck....but looking at all the work involved...it's a couple year project IMO

yeah it probably is but i mean i have a full shop at my disposal i have 5 jobs all of them are in car shops so when i need to fabricate something i have a place when i need engine stff done i have a place i mean it will be dificult but worth it i mean theres not to much to get done to the truck body itself it needed a new floor pan anywats and i think if i take the original cab mounts off the old truck and then bolt them to the fram that may work to idk i have lots of measurments to do 

The frame is also wider so the cab mounts won't simply bolt on.  You'll have to make new ones.   The tape measure is your best friend.  If you end up doing it, post up progress pics as you go.

The frame is also wider so the cab mounts won't simply bolt on.  You'll have to make new ones.   The tape measure is your best friend.  If you end up doing it, post up progress pics as you go.

oh it is wider i figured since the power wagon im using is only a half ton and the truck im cab swapping on it is a 3/4 ton i figured it would be about the same width ill have to look i really wanna do this project but i may just be stuck with two trucks who knows. 

Cabs are identical in size, 1/2 through 1 ton and I think also into the larger tonnage, for the year.  Doghouse and doors from a B1 can be put on a B2-B4 as long as you use the entire doghouse since there are some styling changes.  The frames on a Pilothouse also have a taper to them, beginning at the front rear leaf spring hanger where your later chassis is straight, all the way to the front, if memory serves me on the later chassis and will have a more pronounced kickup  over the rear axle.  Project is certainly doable but it's going to take some serious planning on your part.