New digs

ggdad1951

Well, after a few months of anguish and stress it should finally be happening.  I've sold my house in suburbia and am moving to the "country"!  The g/f and I looked online for a while and found a place that was only up for a few days, went and looked at it and immediately it would be home if we could get it.  I've avoided saying much about it, but yesterday the last pieces fell into place and not much can kill the deal now.  That being said some details, 9.96 acres of land, 4 acres heavily wooded, 3 acres of pasture and 3 acres of yard/buildings and grove.  I close on this August 17th.

House is nice and has a awesome great room and the g/f is happy as all get out about the house....but....I was a little excited about this:

outside_zpslk2dnmj8.jpg

inside_zpssb8zo4nj.jpg

• Like 11

10 acres, well there goes all your spare time.... :)

do i see an additional place for midwest BBQ in 2017?

heated floors! those are going to be some spoiled chickens :lol:

Congrats!

• Like 1

You can also have your own Pilot House wrecking yard!

And... more space more projects. That will keep you busy!

10 acres, well there goes all your spare time.... :)

do i see an additional place for midwest BBQ in 2017?

heated floors! those are going to be some spoiled chickens :lol:

Congrats!

I can see a Midwest BBQ happening in the future...

BTW, there is also a nice house (below) and a tree house (no pic)! 

great_zps17wj35co.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations to you and g/f Mark. What a great house, and even better shed!

Is the 40 x 60 workshop going to be big enough for all of your project/s? :P  The only way to improve on that workshop is to fill it with old MOPAR's !!

10 acres is a big responsibility. But I understand the necessity to move too. We are at the edge of the 'Burbs now, and flew from the heart of them when the neighborhood went sour.

I have trouble keeping up with our place and it's only a fraction of your's GG. It's 1/30th to be exact or 1/3 acre. And I have a hired gardener to mow and trim.

I used to take care of my parent's acreage, but I was 20 years younger. It disabused me of the notion of "country life" unless you can afford to hire out labor regularly.

10 acres is a big responsibility. But I understand the necessity to move too. We are at the edge of the 'Burbs now, and flew from the heart of them when the neighborhood went sour.

I have trouble keeping up with our place and it's only a fraction of your's GG. It's 1/30th to be exact or 1/3 acre. And I have a hired gardener to mow and trim.

I used to take care of my parent's acreage, but I was 20 years younger. It disabused me of the notion of "country life" unless you can afford to hire out labor regularly.

yah, it's gonna cut into my free time for sure.  The nice thing is that 4 acres are solid woods which should be pretty low maintenance.  The 3 acres pasture is a big question mark.. The yard is about 3 as well and about half of that wooded as well.  I plan on buying a small tractor with a nice large mower deck to keep things easy.

It WILL b interesting going from being able to mow and trim in 20 minutes to this!

Yup, nice house.

Cows, sheep and goats will keep 3A under control. There might even be someone close by that would rent

the pasture land...payment in chops, ribs, steak...yum!   If that doesn't work then plant more trees and let it

go back to a natural setting.

It seems that one mistake some folks make is to clear the land and make it 'pretty' like they were still in the 'burbs and

need to keep the neighbors happy.  Most often mother nature has been doing a pretty good job all by herself

and really doesn't need the 'help'.

shop is 40X60 has a 1/2 bath and HEATED FLOORS!

Some advice on an already awesome space.......install a shower so that you don't bring your shop grime into HER BATHROOM.......keep a couple of sets of clothes in there and then you'll never get hollered at when you enter HER house, your name may be on the title but...........lol.

no shower in the shop (yet) it has crossed my mind, but with the floor lines in already I can't just cut willy nilly into the concrete.  

as for hay burners, no large animals...spendy and time consuming.  We like to leave for a few days at a time so large animals are tough.  There is a neighbor "next door" that has a horse and I will consider bouncing off them if they want to pasture anything on my place...just raises potential insurance/liability stuff.  We plan a small orchard for pears, apples and cherries, plant some more trees and let it go back to nature and have 4 wheeler trails.  If nothing else hire a local farmer with a sickle to come in and knock it down every so often.