Chevy engine in a 47 plymouth

Tom Hartman
Go to solution Solved by OldDad67,

I believe it has been done several times by assorted guys out there in hot rod land.    I don't know any of them

personally.   An inquiry on the Jalopy Journal "HAMB" forum might come closer to a reply about that.....as many of

their members favor putting a Chevy V8 in anything and everything.   

Of course, here on this forum, it is usually suggested that a Mopar engine would be a better choice, keeping it

all in the family.  There are some good Chrysler product engines and transmissions around.

I have hauled many Chevy engines and transmissions to the scrap yard in the trunk of a '47 Plymouth and in the back of a '42 and '47 Dodge truck. I used plastic sheeting to protect the bed and trunk compartments from soiling.

• Like 7

^^^^^^^ Now thats what I like to see!!! :D

I think the main reason you see this type install is that many do not have the skills, shop, cutting tools and welding experience to fabricate motor mounts and go with what is normally found on rod sites in a one size fit all department

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Haven't seen any of the above example mentioned above ...just trying to gather information and I'm not a pro fabricated just would like to get this thing on the road

Not a problem, maybe try the search feature to see what threads are listed for a V8 swap.

AS mentioned by Bob T, try the HAMB forum, do a search, message or ask Guys like Hotrodprimer, Pork and Beaner, and a number of others.

SBC, why not, your car, your money, your decision. I would like to see a Ford 300 6 installed in a P 15, but no doubt it is pretty long for a n uncut fit.....good luck

• Solution

Anyone have any knowledge of putting a chevy engine and tranny in a 47plymouth?

Hi Tom not everyone on this site likes Chevy's, as a former Chevy rep I can tell you from experience. I'm putting a 327 Chev in my P-15 with a Muncie 4 speed and a 56 Chevy rear end and a 57 Chev gas tank. I figure it's my car and I'll enjoy it my way. I don't build cars for other people's likes only my own. I'm using an Aluminum radiator with electric fan. Clutch linkage is a challange and an automatic would be an much less work but not as much fun. I have a friend who is putting a 55 Dodge Hemi in his 47 business coupe with a GM 200 r4 tranny behind it with Ford rear axle. I had to cut the rear transmission mount out and fabricate a new cross mount for the tranny. Not a big deal and you will probably have to do this for most V8 swaps. Let me know what information your looking for since I don't know your skill set, but make your car the way you want it. E-mail me anytime with questions, I may not be the smartest guy around but I'll do my best to help you with your project that's what this site is all about.  You can ask me about my 30 Model A with my "Packard" motor too. :D

• Like 1

Thank you old guy 67 I'm old guy myself. Figured the tranny mount had to come out.interesting about your on going swap.skill level? Once built a 36 ford pick up.. chevy engine stock tranny...39 Chevy 4 door 283 power glide

..both daily drivers ....was a lot younger then though...time marches on ...still like the old iron though. Would like to learn more about your cars

Fargo go far...thanks for the link. Many seem to favor flathead 6. Previous owner saw fit to get rid of engine,tranny seat steering column and many other parts ...so looking at all the options to try and save this 47 business coupe

Thank you old guy 67 I'm old guy myself. Figured the tranny mount had to come out.interesting about your on going swap.skill level? Once built a 36 ford pick up.. chevy engine stock tranny...39 Chevy 4 door 283 power glide

..both daily drivers ....was a lot younger then though...time marches on ...still like the old iron though. Would like to learn more about your cars

This is really a good site for information there are a few crusty guy's who like to give a little jab if they don't agree with what your doing but that makes it more fun in my opinion. Here's a pic of my latest project with the "Packard" motor.

411497095.jpg:D

You will have to put in a new trns. crossmember.  I put a chevy 265 into a 47 plymouth once and used a 4 inch channel for this and it went easy.  If you use an automatic trns the plymouth speedometer cable will work also but registers higher than it should.  I used to scare the pants off passengers .. Im putting a chevy 350 with a 350 turbo in a 1946 convert now.  If you do this move the motor 1 1/2 inches toward the passenger side to clear the steering box using factory exhaust manifold. Leave the trns. on center..  Speedway Auto has front motor mount bracket and rubber mounts kit along with everything else like trns. flexible dip stick etc..  Im using a repro aluminum radiator along with electric fan and radiator trns. cooler.  Using a B&M floor shifter that has a cable so it can be placed about anywhere.  With the stock 350-350 Im using the Plymouth rear end but there will not be a parking brake   Replaced the seats with tan leather 48 inch wide ones I got that are like new from mid 1990s Chevy Suburbans.  People never hardly use them and they are mostly like new.  Got them from two different sellers for $30 apice.  Good luck..

Clutch linkage shouldnt be a problem if you add a hydraulic one.  Kits are available an dont cost much.  Only have to push clutch in about an inch.

If you move the engine mounts to the right, the trans mount point also has to go to the right.  The crankshaft and pinion shaft are supposed to run parallel, both vertically and horizontally to keep the U joints  in phase.

• 2 months later...

Dont think the transmission has to run parallel.  I had a 55 Desoto with a hemi and the factory installation had the motor in crooked to center by about two inches.  Universals are made to run crooked.

Dont think the transmission has to run parallel.  I had a 55 Desoto with a hemi and the factory installation had the motor in crooked to center by about two inches.  Universals are made to run crooked.

IT MUST RUN PARALLEL  it is however not critical they be inline...offset up/down, left/right or combination of both is not only good but an important part of the actual install to promote smooth operation of the u-joints..

• Like 1

Yes, they must be as Parallel in both dimensions as you can get them.

If the shafts aren't parallel, your driveline will vibrate, and thump under hard loads. Your u-joints and oil seals will wear out fast too.

I've seen people lose driveshafts on the freeway, and it's pretty dramatic when a u-joint gives out suddenly, so it pays to keep an eye on these.

Edited by Ulu