Mrs. Chrysler's Chrysler

Tom Skinner

Hard to believe that in 1937 they still would have the chauffeur exposed to the elements. I can understand having a divider but why have the poor chauffeur out in any and all weather?

The article in the Hemmings Classic Car magazine said that there was a removable top that went over the chauffeur. In my opinion the car looks rather silly with the front half exposed like that. It would flow much better with a complete top over it all. I wonder why they didn't build it like that.

-Chris 

It's all about showing off the rich and famous and how they were chauffeured around in the day.

Today it's done in a big black ugly nothing limo car.

I'm working on a 1935 Custom Imperial CW Airflow limousine. A very rare car too.

post-302-0-68099900-1436749673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

Actually, the first limousine bodies likely had open driver compartments because of the activity level of the driver. Cars then (1902 - ) had some external levers, and it was not uncommon for the driver to be a bit more active than the passengers thus requiring easier entrance and exit than that afforded the driven folk.

The lack of a compartment lid also permitted better line of sight for the driver as well.

Technically, the removable cover that this 1937 Imperial had made it a limousine de-ville. Photos in the article showing the car with the roof installed show it to be much more attractive in that form.

IMHO, Imperials represent the finest automobile line of American cars, ever.

Back in the early 70's when I was doing front end alignments for a living I had opportunities to drive all of the Big 3's luxury cars.  My personal opinion ranked them second, Lincoln was first and Caddies, last.

• Like 1