Lower Control Arm Installation

Conn47D24

These " wedges " were under the bolts on the LCA pivot bar.  I thought I took more photos during disassembaly but this one is the best view.

WHERE DO THEY GO ? ( oh and what are they for ? )

None of my parts , or shop books show or mention them.

I believe they were on the driver side, rear set of bolts, but cannot recall.

I was too concerned that day about the coil springs killing me. :-)

Thanks !

Clay

post-5542-0-05238400-1436113113_thumb.jpg

post-5542-0-45496600-1436113147_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen them on some cars.

They (shims) are used to keep the upper and lower control arm outer pivot pins parallel by shimming the lower control pivot bar at one end or the other as required.

The area where the lower pivot bar mounts to the under side of the frame evidently needed a frame to lower control bar shim for correct A-arm geometry from the factory on some cars.

You should have made note of where they were positioned. You will have to figure it out.

I think a lot or restored cars never get them put back in.

• Like 1

I'd put them where you think they were and make a point of mentioning this to whoever you get to do the front end/wheel alignment.......they should be able to tell from the specs whether you have them in correctly.......andyd

• Like 1

A foot long proper sized pin or rod, wood dowel ect through the threaded pin hole in the outer upper and lower arms.

Compare both rods to see that they are parallel.

Insert shim where required under lower control arm pivot bar.

All of this is necessary so as to prevent binding and premature threaded pin wear because of misalignment of the threaded A-arm pivot pins and shafts.

• Like 3

Zen,  just to go over this. 

I should install the upper CA, and the lower CA alone.  Then insert the dowels so they are horizontal and parallel to each other.

raise the lower and compare the two?  Measuring each end's distance from the other above/below  ?

They should be equal distance or out by the thickness of these shims?

I'll report back.

Thanks  All !

Clay

Yep^^^^^

You also might see a slight impression on the underside of the frame where the shim or shims were installed.

OK, upper and lower in , and leveled off.  Of course I didn't use both shims , only one. I will be saving it for a real alignment some day.

On to the knuckle PIN bushings !  I'll be back .....

Clay

• 3 weeks later...

Driver side suspension is done.

Had to " modify " the coil spring tool.

Please tell me what the coil spring " spacer " is for , and why only on the driver's side ?

It was a balancing act to get it in there.  I know I was just luck it settled into place.

Thanks!

Clay

post-5542-0-99635500-1437742700_thumb.jpg

post-5542-0-29811500-1437742719_thumb.jpg

post-5542-0-41597900-1437742731_thumb.jpg