P15 Column shift spring

plywoody47

Ok gents, finally getting back to the Woodie, after a 10 yr hiatus. (Twins are off to school)

Among many things, I need the spring at the lower (engine side ) of the column shifter. Among the 3 "spare" columns that I've collected over the years, all springs broken in 2.

Part no. 112-652

I don't see this part listed among Bernbaum, Mitchell, VPW catalogs that I have on hand. But I'll start making calls tomorrow.

Any leads?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I can't offer you a supply source but I may be able to provide you with some information.

The parts manual calls them 'remote control gearshift rod return spring'. There appears to be a difference in the two diagrams (P12-D25) and (D24, S11, C38, C39) in the manual which I viewed, but I am not sure which part number is for which vehicle - part number's listed for L.H.D vehicles are 1121651 and 1121652.

I had some of those springs made up a while back for my truck/s and found that they were different to the car gear shift springs. I did (at the same time) have a couple of those springs made up for my mate's 48 Desoto sedan (R.H.D) though and he tells me that the one which he installed is working well.

I suspect that it may well be the case that you might need to find a Spring Maker as those are a particular design spring, and if you do... perhaps consider having the spring made from stainless steel as the main cause of breakage which I have witnessed is rust.