Driveshaft pinion yoke

Tom Hartman
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

• Solution

the 66 is a 8 3/4 axle and there are three pinion sizes for that axle for various HP applications  this is the very first I have heard of this interchange...would be great to have a link to your talking paper/article stating this retrofit....do you have a source for this information?  If so you will have to know what axle case they were using as each gear is a different input shaft diameter for the 8 3/4  

• Like 1

Even if the pinion yoke was a direct interchange you couldn't use a modern driveshaft.  Modern transmissions use a slip joint at the back of the transmission to allow for shaft length changes as the suspension moves with a fixed length driveshaft.  Our cars use a fixed location at the transmission, so the adjustable length provisions have to be in the driveshaft itself.

In the 50's Chrysler made a retrofit kit that fit a modern U-joint setup to our cars, and I lucked out and found one.  It uses bolt-on adapters at both the transmission and rearend, modern-style U-joints, and a sliding spline section in the driveshaft.  Other people have said that you can make up new ones for $300-$400; I can't confirm that.

Marty

I replaced the yoke on my '55 C-3-B8 with a brand new one purchased from Fleet Pride in Syracuse, NY. They also built a new drive shaft for less than $400 including new u-joints at both ends. The splines are at the front end of the drive shaft, just like the original. My point, find a shop that specializes in drive shafts and you'll probably be able to get a new yoke.

• Like 1

Not sure what your budget is, but changing rear ends will get you modern brakes, better ratio (possibly), & no more tapered axle to deal with to remove the rear hubs.....all with minor mods.

Plymouthy Adams a fellow in 47plymouth club site has 66 dodge Polaris yoke in his 47 plymouth with a 318 and automatic and. Modern driveshaft ...that's where I heard of it. Thought you folks might have some more info

Plymouthy Adams a fellow in 47plymouth club site has 66 dodge Polaris yoke in his 47 plymouth with a 318 and automatic and. Modern driveshaft ...that's where I heard of it. Thought you folks might have some more info

What does this guy use for an emergency brake?

I suspect he's swapped out the old diff for the entire 8 3/4 giving him modern park brakes in the axle.  He's been known to do things like that. I've heard he even puts the bodies of old cars on newer, modern chassis, incorporating all the comfort and safety items  that were in the donor chassis.

I am Plymouth Adams, I have anumber of ol Mopar cars and so far all of them run either a 8 3/4 or later 8 1/4 Mopar axle and yes ihave big blocks, small block and V6 conversions here with various tranny 727's, A518 and NV3500 to name a couple.   These upgrades were made so to ELIMINATE the taper axle and early non-floating brakes....I hope what you have rad elsewhere may not have confused you..was this a post by myself or a fellow enthusiast referrerencing my upgrades?

Sorry it took a bit to reply here...we lost DSL two days ago and complete phone system yesterday mid-day...service is still out..am at library on base at the minute...replies are at a minimum at the moment...

E-brake is a simple upgrade also...I use a specaial home made braket per side and at the tranny and all with roller bearing captured pulleys...this will allow you to tie into the original brake cable of the older mopar.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

All very interesting would like to hear more as I have no drive line except stock rear end. Might have a hand brake lever in a box don't think I've seen any cables though. Any thoughts about chevy engine and tranny? Or is that a bad idea.how does one identify those rear ends you spoke of? I presume they fit under a p15 ok