Trying to remove the master cylinder is making me crazy

Tatback

Please help me Obi Wan you're my only hope!

I tried today to replace my brake lines and rebuild my master cylinder. All was good until I got under the car to remove it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to disconnect the clutch pedal and brake pedal from the master.

There is a thick metal rod that I can't slide out enough to remove either.

Any help at all will be very very appreciated

As I recall, I had to remove pedals and all as one piece since the metal rod you speak of is made into the master. Just unbolt the foot pads from the pedal arms and then munipulate them out through the floor pan attached to the master. you can then remove the pedal arms if needed. I just left them attached. you will want to bench test the master before reinstalling. I did this by capping the lines, filling with fluid and while in the vice putting pressure on the brake pedal to check for any leaks. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure about the Windsor, but in Dodges and Plymouths the master cylinder comes out from the top. There is a removable panel that extends from the drivers floor across to the passenger side. After you remove the panel you will be able to remove the master cylinder and the pedals as a unit. ...from the inside of the car.

Well... Thank you both. I'm thinking I should of asked much earlier today instead of slowly putting myself in a straight jacket.

I will hopefully have time Thursday to try both methods and see what happens.

I did look first in the manual BUT it conveniently skips over how to remove it. Only says how to service it once it's out.

The pivot pin that goes thru the pedals and master cylinder will slide out if you remove the C clips on each end and push the pin out. A hammer and drift punch will help it move. Once it's out you can remove the MC and leave the pedaling the floor.

Hey Tat,

Remove the floorboard and the remove the MC and pedals as a unit. Once out, remove the clips and slid the pedals off the post. Much easier to work and you don't have to crawl on the ground.

Joe

Exactly as he said. Once out remove C clips as mentioned and slide pedals off. There is absolutely no need to remove the large shaft the pedals are attached to that runs throught the MC. I sent my master cylinder out to White Post Restorations to be resleeved with that shaft in place and it came back no problem. Totally unecessary to remove it. 

You can remove the M/cyl with out messing with the mat or carpet to remove the floor pan.

I knock the two C-clips off the pivot shaft, pull the clevis pins that connect the rods/linkages to the pedals, then remove the brake line or lines at the rear of the cylinder.

Next remove the three mounting bolts.

Then twist, turn, manipulate the M/cylinder to be able to slide each pedal off the shaft.

I have done it on all 1942-54 MoPar cars.

I hate having to pull the floor panel because of corroded bolts ect. A time waster.

• Like 2

My floor was out for other work. removed all as an assembly.

Clip removed.

Brass(?) bushing(bearing) with holes in pedal arm. Don't damage it.

The pivot shaft.

The master cylinder piston.

post-80-0-13145100-1434475358_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-82081600-1434475376_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-01900500-1434475422_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-04537000-1434475529_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-89455900-1434475593_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

During reassembly do not over tighten the nut/bolt that the red arrow is pointing at.

The clip with the hole in it where the spring attaches  should be free to move.

Over tightening can cause the pedal arm to bind.

post-80-0-68222100-1434477099_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

I had to remove mine as an assembly. I undid the pedal pads, undid the springs and clutch linkage, and removed the pedals and master cylinder through the floor of the car. I then removed the c-clips, took off the pedal linkage, and pressed out the pin.

I'm not sure that it's the only way, but it was the easiest way for me.

• Like 2

I removed the pedal pads from my '52 and wiggled the entire master cylinder assembly with pedals out from under the car.  Getting the floor panel out was too involved because most of the screws were rusted tight.  The car was on jack stands and I dd this lying on my back on the floor.

It's out and rebuilt!!!

Thank you everyone for all your help. I ended up just taking the floor out. When I pulled the carpet everything looked clean and un-rusted and the bolts came out without a hitch.

Now I'm just learning the struggles with the "sword in the stone" .......water distribution tube

• 1 year later...

New on this site.  Have come across this thread in several searches. First post. On 53 New Yorker, got MC out with pedals from top.  Had a little trouble with pedal C clips but they came off, can these be reused?  Clutch pedal had damaged rubber bearing seal, thoughts on replacement?  The pedal shaft not coming out, thoughts?  I lightly tapped with large flat punch and hammer but no movement. Have to send MC off for rebuild along with brake power booster.  Good referrals needed.  

Thank you for any feedback, new to all this.