Need some advice, opinions, etc....

thrashingcows

Need to talk this out....I could ramble a bit....

Been thinking a lot lately of selling my 48 Desoto 2dr Sedan. I feel I have too much on my plate with House, family, wagon, and my DD cummins crewcab. The 68 T/C wagon pretty much gets neglected, and only the bare minimum in repairs and upgrades to keep it on the road. Most of my spare time I do have gets split between the desoto, and into the general maintenance, and upgrades of the crewcab....which I love more then any of my vehicles, past or present.

I only have a single car garage, and enough room for one additional car on the driveway. Currently the truck is parked on the road. I had been keeping one of the cars in storage that I rented from a local fellow. But he finally had to ask me to leave, it was not unexpected. So now the wagon gets parked in the driveway, and the desoto is in the garage.

I have discussed, and got the OK from the wife, to buy an Enclosed car trailer to store one of the vehicles in. But I don't know if I want to commit to that expense or not. Also I really don't know if my heart is in the Desoto or not. I like the car, but I don't know if I can see myself keeping it long term. I was passionate about it when I got it, but the long term time frame on getting this car back from the dead I think is wearing on me.

It's not like I need the money from the sale of the Desoto....but it sure could come in handy with building a fresh 440 for the wagon, and a few other things. Or I could buy the car trailer, load up the desoot and all related parts and lock the doors and forget about it for a few years....concentrating on the wagon and other more pressing responsibilities. I just don't know if I will fall back in love with the car after that time or not?

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, points of view, or similar decisions you've made.

Thanks for listening.

I believe if your heart is not in the car, you really should consider selling it to someone who wants it and will devote the time to make it a good driver or show car or?.  I sometimes feel that way about my 52, I often only put about 500 miles on it in a year. But for me it is still a car I like and want to keep. So far anyway.  I often spend more time driving my 80 Volare. It needs little maintenance other than a once a year oil change or some other small bit of work. The 52 still after 12 years still need some extensive work to make it really a nice driver .

Speaking personally, if I don't love it I sell it to someone who will. Sounds like you have a nice collection as it is. Keep what your heart is in.

Was discussing things with the wife this evening and maybe it's due to the fact that over the years I've brought a half dozen cars back from the dead, and I just don't want to do it again. Been there, done that, and would prefer to have a car I could get in, drive and enjoy. Maybe this also comes along with age too...in my 40's now. wink.png

I think I'm leaning more towards selling, and if in a few years I want another vehicle, then I can pick one up that is road worthy, and mostly complete. Then I can enjoy it, while making it my own.

Thank you for the advice so far....

I struggle with this myself. I drive my 41 a lot more than my 69. I have a two car garage and my daily drivers sit in the driveway. I used to store the old cars offsite thru the winter but I lost that storage. Every winter I say I should sell the 69 but I know if I do I will never get another one and I really like the 69 Dart body style. On the one hand,  if I had only one old car I could put my efforts into making it really nice. On the other hand I have the luxury of having one out of service for major repair / modification, and still have an old car to drive. I have two daily driver vehicles and a motorcycle also. For me it always seems to come down to the fact that they don't eat much, insurance for them is reasonable and it isn't that I have too many toys, it is just that I need a bigger toy box. In the end there is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you.

• Like 1

I struggle with this myself. I drive my 41 a lot more than my 69. I have a two car garage and my daily drivers sit in the driveway. I used to store the old cars offsite thru the winter but I lost that storage. Every winter I say I should sell the 69 but I know if I do I will never get another one and I really like the 69 Dart body style. On the one hand,  if I had only one old car I could put my efforts into making it really nice. On the other hand I have the luxury of having one out of service for major repair / modification, and still have an old car to drive. I have two daily driver vehicles and a motorcycle also. For me it always seems to come down to the fact that they don't eat much, insurance for them is reasonable and it isn't that I have too many toys, it is just that I need a bigger toy box. In the end there is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you.

Love that line.....:D

But thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Ok, you don't 'need' the money, however much it might be. But like most of us a little extra cash is never a bad thing and you have places that it might be of benefit.

Enclosed trailer...not inexpensive for a decent one. Are you thinking that you may need to change locations and thus make it easier to move the DeSoto? Or would it just be for storage? 

If long term storage is considered (park it and forget it for awhile), then you might look into a shipping container. Air and water tight units are relatively cheap but the tare wt for a high-cube 40' unit is close to 10K so it is not something that you can shuffle around the yard. I haven't measured my '47 but I think it would slide into a container. The biggest factor is whether or not you plan to remain in your current location and the potential cost to move the 'box'.

...but, if you are in a CCR controlled area......

Now, in the long term, you're only 40-something. So what is your plan for the post-65 years?   You have a lot of hours in the car that would be a good re-start point when you open the 'time capsule'. You also have the interim to continue to collect parts that may be needed without any time pressure.

If you keep it and store it then be sure to put a file together detailing all that you have done and where you 'think' you are headed with the car.  Age has a funny way of screwing with formerly intact long-term memory.

• Like 1

I'm 81 years old. Believe me, when you get past 65, you start to think about reliving your youth, and the cars you could of had. Right now, I have a 47 Dodge. I remember when I was 15, walking home from high school, and always passing by this 47 Dodge parked on a street. Always liked that car. And now, I finally got one. So, go with your heart. In twenty years, you might look back on today, and wished you had kept that Desoto. Ed

I've started to have the same dilemma.  A year and a half ago we bought another toy (2001 BMW Z3)-so for the 5 months of winter we have here the old '52 has to go into remote storage.  In summer there is always the debate--Old Car or less Old Covertible--for the ride to get an ice cream cone.  I'm down to about 1500 miles a year and more importantly, making more improvements on "Doris" isn't my top priority.

I like the "if you don't love it--find someone who does" sentiment---I am attached to the old girl but not dedicated to her.  I have to admit that getting under a car at my semi-advanced age (68) is less appealing than it used to be.

Logically I should sell it--but it's a bit like getting rid of a pet.  Not an easy decision, Brian. 

I've started to have the same dilemma.  A year and a half ago we bought another toy (2001 BMW Z3)-so for the 5 months of winter we have here the old '52 has to go into remote storage.  In summer there is always the debate--Old Car or less Old Covertible--for the ride to get an ice cream cone.  I'm down to about 1500 miles a year and more importantly, making more improvements on "Doris" isn't my top priority.

I like the "if you don't love it--find someone who does" sentiment---I am attached to the old girl but not dedicated to her.  I have to admit that getting under a car at my semi-advanced age (68) is less appealing than it used to be.

Logically I should sell it--but it's a bit like getting rid of a pet.  Not an easy decision, Brian. 

Sounds like we are in almost the same situation!  I'm 68, driving my 2002 M Coupe (Z3M) while my 47 is sitting on jackstands waiting for the steering box to come back from being rebuilt!  I've occasionally thought about trying to sell it, but don't think I would find anyone who would appreciate what I have done to it, so I soldier on.

Marty

A tough decision to make,hard to give up a project not completed but if no longer enjoyable it may be time to move on.

It is an expensive hobby and while some may recover a good portion of their investment in time and money when it's time to sell, that has not been my experience.

I've spent a lot on storage over the years and I would only recommend it for short term.

Of the many cars I've owned over the years there is only a few I regret selling and it has nothing to do with their

value in today's market but has more to do with the memories of the enjoyment I had working on them and driving them.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Ralph, I agree that there little correllation between value and enjoyment.  If I still lived in the Pacific NW where I could drive Doris 12months a year, I would keep her; but winter here means I have to either store her mid-Nov to early April or play driveway shuffle all winter.  My wife isn't too happy about keeping her car out in the ice, snow and cold while my toys are safe and warm in the garage.

I've got Doris to the point that she is a safe and fairly reliable driver and a good 10 footer--but there is still a lot that could be done (shock relocation, dual exhaust and an ignition upgrade) that I just can't seem to get motivated to do.  So probably late this summer--after I've driven her to my 50th High School reuinion--I'll see if I can find someone that deserves her

Mike

• Like 1

I've got a truck I've been working on for somewhere around 30 years now.  I've never considered it an investment in money. It's more of an investment in my sanity.  I work on it as time and finances allow and though it's far from finished, today it starts to get some color on the bed.  None of the rest of it is ready for paint, still some fabrication to do on the frame and cab and it's never moved under it's own power since I've owned it.  Never really gave serious thought to selling it.   It doesn't really matter to me if it gets finished or not or when it does if it gets a ding, dent or rock through the radiator or windshield.  It's something for me to do or turn to for relaxation.

I've been paying for storage now for about 8 years.  It's still less expensive than a second garage.  The kids will probably get them when they're finished anyway.  I'm just in it for the build.

• Like 1