My vapor lock story

Vapor lock or not, here is my story.

Yesterday here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan it was 33 degrees Celsius (about 92 F).

I was driving to a car rally at the local Hot Rod club about 5 pm.

My 1950 Special Deluxe has an added electric pump inline with the rebuilt mechanical pump.

I have a heat shield installed.

The electric pump is wired to a push button, I normally only use it to prime the engine after it has been sitting for a while.

I drove about 15 minutes on the freeway and then turned off the freeway into the Industrial area where they are located. After about 5 minutes of reduced speed the car started to sputter and then die like it ran out of gas. I was pretty sure I was not out of gas but added 1 gallon from the jerry can I carry.

It would start and then sputter and die, the heat gauge was normal as were all the other gauges before it died.

I tried to start it with the electric pump energized and it would run longer and then quit.

I took a gallon jug of water that I also carry and dumped it on the carb as I have seen discussed on here.

Tried to start it with only the mechanical pump and it fired right up and I continued on the the rally.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I tried to include as much information as I could.

My truck will also do that in high ambient temps. And I also have an inline electric like you describe. However, mine is on a toggle switch. When this happens I switch the pump on and the engine will smooth out and run fine. After a while I can switch it back off and all is good again.

Merle

I would check the fuel line from the tank to the pump and see if there is anywhere your lines could be sucking air, as mechanical pumps don't like to move air.  Also check the condition of   line between the cross member and the pump.  If these get weak they will look fine on the outside but pull closed under high vacuum from the mechanical pump.  I would also check my needle and seat/float assembly to make sure it is in proper working condition.

Question, couldn't you run the electric pump all the time to prevent it from happening?

Earl

The problem with this is that unless you add an oil pressure switch or something similar,

In the event of the car stalling or worse yet being in an accident the fuel pump will pump gas until the switch is turned off.

The problem with this is that unless you add an oil pressure switch or something similar,

In the event of the car stalling or worse yet being in an accident the fuel pump will pump gas until the switch is turned off.

Yes a oil pressure switch or an inertia switch could easily be added if concerned. As far as the car stalling, there is no issue there. Not sure why you'd be concern with the car stalling with a electric fuel pump.

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a oil pressure switch or an inertia switch could easily be added if concerned. As far as the car stalling, there is no issue there. Not sure why you'd be concern with the car stalling with a electric fuel pump.

Earl

Id be more concerned with it feeding a fire in an accident. When i was younger a 67 GTO burned to the ground when the fuel pump fed a fire.

Id be more concerned with it feeding a fire in an accident. When i was younger a 67 GTO burned to the ground when the fuel pump fed a fire.

I agree and there are measures to take to prevent it. As I mention above if the person is concerned.

Earl

• 3 weeks later...

My 50 Meadowbrook has stalled like that before, but I believe it is not vapor lock but fuel boiling in the carb and flooding the engine.

Has not happened this year but if it ever does, I will remove the air cleaner and give the carb a pump, if fuel squirts, then I'll know it is not vapor lock.

• Like 1

My 50 Meadowbrook has stalled like that before, but I believe it is not vapor lock but fuel boiling in the carb and flooding the engine.

Has not happened this year but if it ever does, I will remove the air cleaner and give the carb a pump, if fuel squirts, then I'll know it is not vapor lock.

Is your heat riser working correctly? If not that can throw all kinds of heat to the intake/carb.

Earl

Have you tried puting on an adjustable gas pressure regulator ?

• 2 years later...
On 7/4/2015 at 9:08 PM, Redneck Coronet said:

Its a bummer you cant get a Klemm vapor lock eliminator any more.

I bought and installed one based on this thread. So far, no vapor lock issues... Thanks! 

20151206_125243.jpg

You may need a fuel pressure regulator Before the mechanical pump in this system?

A thought.

DJ