6 volt tachometer 6 cylinder cars

bluefoxamazone

This is a 12 volt tach. I picked up 4 at a swap meet for $5 total. This one works, I just divide the number by 2.  I like the look and the price and I had some $$ left over from the one I sold a few years back. LOL 

909E578B-7707-48DE-99E7-F3469E2F7533.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bluefoxamazone said:

see attachment plse.

greetings from Belgium

15-11-2019 14-27-01.jpg

Ok......but I would not hesitate to use the TinyTach on a positive-ground car and would expect it to work the same way it does on a negative-ground vehicle or one with no electrical system. The factory reply is dubious because the tach has no connection to the vehicle's electrical system. Have to wonder if their reply is due to having never tried the tach on a positive ground vehicle and not wanting to make an official endorsement.....but there is bound to be some old positive-ground tractors out there using this tach as an hourmeter.....

Whatever........  ?

Update: I called Tech Support at TinyTach to get a definitive answer about this device on a positive-ground vehicle. The tech person is on a hunting trip and will call me later. I asked the person I was talking to (Connie?) if the polarity of the vehicle made any difference...she asked what kind of vehicle. I told her Plymouth with positive ground electrical system. She said no, the tach won't work on any car. What?? (see linked instructions)

She then acknowledged she didn't know the answer and I would need to talk to the tech engineer. I'll report back when I get an answer so we can put this to bed.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I went to the Westach site and found a couple of possible part numbers, but I'm not sure what the difference is between a couple of them.  Also not sure if I should be looking at a 3500RPM tach or a 5000RPM tach.

The first one is easy:

2CT33-6V is a 2-inch single tach, 3500RPM, pos or neg 6V.  There is a photo so it's easy to see what it is.

The next two part numbers are not quite a clear, as there are no photos of either one:

3CT-53-6V is a 3-inch tach, 5000RPM, pos or neg 6V.  No photo.

3CT-53-2-6V is also a 3-inch tach, 5000RPM, pos or neg 6V.  No photo either.  Is this a dual version of the 3CT-53-6V, or is it just programmable for 3cyl and 6cyl engines?

Any guidance would be appreciated. ☺️

Edited by hi_volt

I talked with Pete. When I sent him this picture, I said that I should have used 3500rpm. He said to send it back and he'd change it. I did. He changed it to a 2CT33-6v. I also bought a 2C4-3 vacuum gauge and two 186-6v light kit's for the gauges. I used 3/8" head, flange bolts on the reinstall with chrome caps. 

tach, vacuum.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Update: I called Tech Support at TinyTach to get a definitive answer about this device on a positive-ground vehicle. The tech person is on a hunting trip and will call me later. I asked the person I was talking to (Connie?) if the polarity of the vehicle made any difference...she asked what kind of vehicle. I told her Plymouth with positive ground electrical system. She said no, the tach won't work on any car. What?? (see linked instructions)

She then acknowledged she didn't know the answer and I would need to talk to the tech engineer. I'll report back when I get an answer so we can put this to bed.

Got the call back today from the engineer at TinyTach who filled me in on details concerning using their device on our cars. As I've stated before the polarity of the electrical system is no factor. However, the new info I received is about issues with using the device on engines with points and coil. The tach is more reliable with engines with electronic ignitions because the mechanical points, especially if not in prime condition, create a 'dirty' impulse as they open and close and the tach has more problems decoding the signal than if it was generated with a hard-edged, discrete electronic pulse.

In years past TinyTach has delivered their older model for use with points/coil to the early Ford and tractor community with four-cylinder engines but that device can't be programmed for six-cylinder engines with three firing impulses per revolution. This is a problem because the tach works best on the coil wire when it is used with a points system.

Bottom line-------if someone wants to pursue this tach with one of our cars TinyTach is willing to work with the customer to fine-tune a tach and their current tach may work fine if the ignition system is in excellent condition. But the polarity of the electrical system has no impact since the only connection to the car is via the sensing wire wrapped around an ignition lead.

Now......we know more about TinyTach than anyone wanted to know.   :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used a mooneyes 12 volt Tach that they made a few years back that was small and  period correct looking and got a converter from a fellow on this site that allowed me to use my 6 volt positive ground system. Works great. Auto meter makes the Tach for mooneyes

FCF8CCE3-6519-4600-9909-F9AEC8356A97.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I went looking for a tach for my B2B mostly high RPM versions is what I found. I finally got this vintage Sun (with appropriate RPM range) and had Williamson Instruments modify it to work without the original transmitter. I’ll mount it on the dash...

98596E85-9490-433B-A9A5-79068A44E878.jpeg

• Like 1