Water Distribution Tube

Working on my 218, noticed that there is no water distribution tube in the block. It is a .060" over motor so it has been molested.

Other than the obvious (the name) does anyone know the specific reason for the water distribution tube?

Seems like if the radiator (hence the engine) was kept totally full with no air you wouldn't need the tube???

Sorry for the newbie (probably stupid) questions...

It keeps the valves and valve seat temps down to help the valves from burning and seats from burning and or cracking.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Just what Dodgeb4ya said above .... for some specifics .....

Go to the tech tips link below here on the forum.   This is just the extract of the first paragraph ...

..... "The water distribution tube provides a vital function in cooling your engine. It directs cooling water directly form the water pump to the upper block and valve area. Generally it is removed for inspection when an engine is overhauled, and replaced as required. However, in my experience, many production rebuilders do not perform this repair because the tube is rusted in place and difficult to remove. Failure to replace a rusted out water distribution tube will certainly lead to hot spots in the block and future problems...."

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/tech_tips.html

The cutouts in the top of the WDT .... from my understanding .. directs / channels water to the exhaust value area of the block/head to reduce excessive wear due to the heat in that area.

post-7088-0-21216900-1433004493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 2

Working on my 218, noticed that there is no water distribution tube in the block. It is a .060" over motor so it has been molested.

Other than the obvious (the name) does anyone know the specific reason for the water distribution tube?

Seems like if the radiator (hence the engine) was kept totally full with no air you wouldn't need the tube???

Sorry for the newbie (probably stupid) questions...

Check closely as the last rebuilder may have left a rusted hunk of the tube inside the block. If you plan on driving any further than the end of your driveway I do suggest that you install a new tube.

• Like 2