Oil leak

Go to solution Solved by chasm46,

PLEASE HELP. 

I took my 1951 B2D D126 to my mechanic today for a PA state inspection (Still use the truck as a truck so I don't go the Antique route). I had the water pump replaced and tried to fix a minor oil leak.

I now have a major oil leak. Couldn't find a suitable gasket to replace the old one. No oil filter on truck but the leak was in the gasket where the oil filter would be attached.  Any possible part number, part source or any other info would be greatly appreciated. I am not a motor head. I wish I were.

Thanks in advance.

Chasm46. 

You have a 25" engine?

It's a 1950 Dodge truck 230 engine...23" engine.

I believe the oil filters were a bypass filter connected on linespost-140-0-25721800-1432271348_thumb.jpgpost-140-0-05260200-1432271357_thumb.jpg.

If no oil filter there should be a plug that caps off the threaded line in the block.

Just use teflon tape on the plug.

I know you say "where the oil filter attaches" but do you mean the passenger side of the block? in the photo the lowest part in the picture is kinda of octagonal.

there should be a copper crush washer on the cap to make a seal with the thumb "screw".  Everything else should be compression fittings threaded into the block with Teflon tape.

• Solution

Thanks to everyone. I was wrong about the oil filter. The leak was on the passenger side where bach4660 suggested.

Resolved for now. Still have a small leak on the push rod covers. 

The block did measure 23 inches.

Do any of you guys run without an oil filter? Truck didn't have one when I bought it. Don't put a ton of miles on the truck but I think it would be worth the effort to find and install one.  

Really appreciate all the help and knowledge I have found on this site. Chasm46.

• 5 years later...

My 45 Dodge WC has an original filter,  but when I replaced the filter sock I created a large leak. The top gasket will not seal along the cap. So I removed the entire assembly until further notice.  I too, won't ever put too many annual miles. But I do hope to sometime figure out the gasket seal and re mount it.  Meanwhile I have lots more challenges before it becomes reliable. 

1 hour ago, KurtisL said:

My 45 Dodge WC has an original filter,  but when I replaced the filter sock I created a large leak. The top gasket will not seal along the cap. So I removed the entire assembly until further notice.  I too, won't ever put too many annual miles. But I do hope to sometime figure out the gasket seal and re mount it.  Meanwhile I have lots more challenges before it becomes reliable. 

Post a picture of the canister. Did the filter come with a seal for the lid?

• 5 months later...

I rebuilt my motor also and now the motor leaks oil out of the lid of the filter housing.  It doesn’t come out the bolt it comes out the edge of the lid.  The filter came with a new gasket.  I have tried everything and every time I start the motor it just spews out the edges of the lid.  I even made my own gasket and it still leaks.  All my lines are brand new and motor is new.  The oil leak is really frustrating because it’s leaking oil all over everything I have sandblasted and painted.  Need ideas 

On 12/18/2020 at 5:58 PM, 1952dodgeb3 said:

I rebuilt my motor also and now the motor leaks oil out of the lid of the filter housing.  It doesn’t come out the bolt it comes out the edge of the lid.  The filter came with a new gasket.  I have tried everything and every time I start the motor it just spews out the edges of the lid.  I even made my own gasket and it still leaks.  All my lines are brand new and motor is new.  The oil leak is really frustrating because it’s leaking oil all over everything I have sandblasted and painted.  Need ideas 

One thing to look at if the lid gasket is not sealing is if the filter is too proud and not allowing the lid to contact the housing...there are several types of filters that fit several types of housings for the flatheads, so filter selection is dependent on the housing dimensions, not the year and model of the truck...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:54 PM, Tooljunkie said:

I did away with it, bought a spin on adapter and end of problem. Bypass filters dont filter 100% of oil that flows, and the everyday spin on oil filter will likely trap just as much as the original. 

I would like to see what spin on adapter you use. I’m going to change mine and I’m looking for what works and looks good. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Nellie50 said:

I would like to see what spin on adapter you use. I’m going to change mine and I’m looking for what works and looks good. Thanks. 

Takes wix 51515,51516,51085,51348

C9070F89-BF2E-41FF-BA5D-55228BAAE59F.jpeg

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1