Transmission Interchange Question

Hi Folks,

As I stated in my introduction, I’m in the planning stages of a ‘40s-style hop up based on a Dodge Brothers roadster and using 90%+ period MoPar content.  After missing out on a complete engine / trans setup from a ‘38 Dodge passenger car, I’ve started thinking about other sources for a floor-shift 3-speed for this project.

1938%20Dodge%20engine%20and%20transmissi

1938 Dodge engine and trans

I was already planning to use the steering box, column, and wheel from a Job Rated truck, and it occurred to me that these vehicles used floor-shift boxes as well.  

1942%20Dodge%20Floor%20Shift_zpshmwzzqqj

1942 Dodge truck floor shifter

Were the ‘39-‘47 truck three-speeds related to the ‘37-‘38 passenger-car boxes?  How do the ratios compare?  Can you swap parts around?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Dave

If the top shift is important then why not go one step further and use a 4/5 speed OD? There are plenty late model units

that should be good candidates and then you have a few more options for rear gear....besides, who will see it?

These are the ratios I have for 41 truck 3spd. 1st – 3.3 to 1;   2nd – 1.78 to 1;   3rd – 1.00 to 1.    Rev. – 4.3 to 1.

• Like 1

If the top shift is important then why not go one step further and use a 4/5 speed OD? There are plenty late model units

that should be good candidates and then you have a few more options for rear gear....besides, who will see it?

It's not entirely off the table, but my ideal is to do a 100% period-correct build using no parts newer than 1948.  Think of it as a restoration of a car that never existed, but could have.

These are the ratios I have for 41 truck 3spd. 1st – 3.3 to 1;   2nd – 1.78 to 1;   3rd – 1.00 to 1.    Rev. – 4.3 to 1.

I found a helpful old Plymouth shop manual, circa 1942 that covers cars back to 1936 and here’s what it had to say:

1936-40: 1st - 2.57 to 1; 2nd - 1.55 to 1; 3rd - 1.00 to 1.  Rev. - 3.48 to 1.
1941-42: 1st - 2.57 to 1; 2nd - 1.83 to 1; 3rd - 1.00 to 1.  Rev. - 3.48 to 1.

The transmissions seem to be nearly identical in most other respects with the following exceptions - 1936 used a bronze bushing on the idler shaft, and 1937-42 used a roller bearing; 1936-39 had no bearing or bushing on the transmission extension, whereas the ‘40-‘42 boxes had ball bearings; lubricant capacity increased by ½ pint after 1939 to 2-3/4 pints; and the obvious change from floor-shift in 1938 to column shift in 1940 (1939 was the first year for column-shift, but only on P-8 models; P-7 retained floor shift).  Additionally, by some accounts the synchros on the 1939 P-7 box are superior to the slower-shifting ‘36-‘38 transmissions, so this would seem to be the ideal box.

Unless, that is, you can put 1940 passenger-car gears into a 1941-47 pickup case.  Still not clear on whether that can be done.
Edited by David Conwill