Door Seal Adhesive

I am about to install the door seals from Roberts (one seal on the door and one on the cab). I also bought the adhesive Roberts sells, but since it appears to be so difficult and messy to use, I am looking for an alternative adhesive. What have some of you folks used and has it held up? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Barry

3m black.  It also comes in the yellow which may be stronger but the black doesn't show as much if you happen to get some where it's not supposed to be.

I haven't installed mine yet, maybe Friday if possible, but I thought the Roberts stuff was Permatex? I always tape everything for a few days and let it all set up. I know the yellow adhesive works very well, used it many times before.

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful - particularly tips to work with shorter sections of the rubber and the use of tape on either side of the rubber.

The adhesive from Roberts is Permatex. It may be that the tube I got is bad. It doesn't flow and is difficult to get out of the tube and it mostly comes out in globs. I think I will go with 3M super weather strip adhesive as mentioned by several of you.

The video from Mark (ggdad1951) is both very helpful and somewhat confusing (at least to me). I understand that the cab rubber runs from near the bottom of the door opening and ends just beyond the seam at the A-pillar. No problem. The confusing part deals with the door rubber. It runs from just behind the division bar down the rear of the door and is supposed to end near a "bump" in the door. I can't find the "bump". Further, I don't see how the rubber is supposed to get by the door check and door hinge. Obviously I am missing something in my understanding.

If the door rubber was to run from just behind the division bar down the rear of the door, there is a "bump" about opposite to the horizontal seal on the cab. That would mean that both the door and cab seals would be in contact with each other when the door is closed. I assume that is not correct. Hopefully someone can straighten me out on my understanding of all this.

I should note in closing that my truck is a '51 B3C. Thanks for any further help any of you can provide.

Barry

the bump on the door is on the front of the door right above where the seal on the cab lines up with the flat part on the door.  The door seal is on the front of the door by the hinges (compresses between the door and the A pillar) never transitioning to the inside face of the door.  Does that help?  If not I can snap a better picture.

the bump on the door is on the front of the door right above where the seal on the cab lines up with the flat part on the door.  The door seal is on the front of the door by the hinges (compresses between the door and the A pillar) never transitioning to the inside face of the door.  Does that help?  If not I can snap a better picture.

Mark:

Yes, it helps. I found the bump and it matches the bump on the rear of the door, just above the horizontal seal on the cab. Now my fuzzy head is beginning to clear up somewhat. Wonders never cease!

If you can get a photo which shows the path of the seal as it goes down to the bump, it would be appreciated. Since I have a medical issue that will be dealt with on Fri., there is no rush. I don't expect that I will be back in the shop until the weekend (hopefully). Thanks for walking me through this.

Barry

Mark:

Perfect. Just what I needed.

On a related topic, a Forum member emailed me asking which side or sides of the cab rubber are cemented to the door. I responded that I "think" that the two sides that are at right angles to each other are the ones that attach to the door, and the thin angular flange goes out as indicated in the video. Correct, or is it only necessary to cement the side that is against the cab?

Sorry to be such a pain.

Barry

Well I managed to get my doors all done tonight, however I see now I didnt get sent enough of that "lollipop" gasket to do the rear of the fenders like the video, and almost questioning if I have enough of that top fender seal to do the outside to under hood portion.

On a related topic, Roberts also sent me these little gaskets in my picture, anyone have any clue what their for?

post-3231-0-93295200-1431142031_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-54779800-1431142059_thumb.jpg

Where would they mount for the windows? Their like an "A" shape, so can't think where they would fit the window at all? As for the others, their way too big for the handles I thought....I was thinking wiper transmissions, but their the wrong shape and too big again for that.