1937 Dodge, Ol Bessy Is Coming Home!

Sharps40

It not an original car, but it is our car.  Its ours, that's what's important, not whether it meets any particular criteria in the car community.  Has not been an original car since 1957 when Dad bought it and started doing the changes he wanted to make it his.  The car does not have a flathead.....it currently has a Ford 200/C4 combination.  Dad an I left the flathead (60 over, 90 off head, Dual Carter BB, Split Manifold dual exhaust, etc.) out on the lawn many years back.

Don't take the post wrong, we'll investigate all options, but Nah.  The shop I'm dealing with kept Dads secret for 20 years.  To suggest they are money mongering is to make a spurious statement from a lack of knowledge of the personalities involved, their relationships, the current personal situation(s), etc.  Which, all in all, is to be expected and forgivable since none here have been in on the many conversations.  Have faith.  Ol Bessie will be treated well.  Every project needs a plan and an alternate to prevent it becoming a Craigslist ad for a box of parts!  (Dayum, that coulda happened here to Ol Bessie!) 

We're discussing what's best for the way we want to use the vehicle.  And given some recent family health concerns, I have decided that Dad and I laying under the car farting around with our share of the restoration work like brakes, suspension, wiring harness, tuning, etc....are steps that (with a suitable budget) go away in favor of a set up that gets the car on the road sooner and with no questions as to reliability.  Whats best may well be original suspension and the Ford drive line, or it may be a change out to something less than 78 years old.

I should have held the car and fixed it years ago.  As it is, Dad held the car for me because that's what Dads do and now I am driven to have this ready for both of us to drive while we still can and for as long as we still can.

I was not suggesting the shop was trying to take advantage or that it needs to be stock. Just more along the lines of it the budget is tight that suspension is good and will allow money to other areas.

Understood. Budget is 10 to 16k and given initial look may be more than needed for getting to driver status using an old power pack and suspension. Will know more once we dig in and can make better than quick visual evals. If budget allows we may take advantage of late model capabilities under the hood and frame

• 1 month later...

Its decision time.

Mr. Walker just called. 

Been waitin on this call for 2 months and 23 years!

Emptying the junk out of Ol Bessie today.

Tomorrow or Thursday its being pulled to the shop floor and the resurection commences.

We agreed to start on the underside and work up and out.

So, on deck is:

1.  Total modern suspension and rear axle + Power brakes and the possibility of rack and pinion (and depending on the power pack, possibly power rack and pinion)

2.  All accident damage repaired and then primer and possibly paint.

3.  Engine/trans choices are limitless and include the current 200 L6 with C4, GM 350 or Vortec with 4L60E and depending on budget, one of the millions of 5.7L Mopar Hemi engines with automatic overdrive trans!

Meso excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks we need to try to make this a V8.  Dad called, he's on his way to the shop now.  Told me a story.

Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY.  Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown. 

Seems, he always wanted it to be an 8.

9 July 2015 Email to Dad and Mr. Walker....

Mr. Walker,

I've made some decisions, one's I hope will help the process.

BUDGET:  Its growing somewhat.  Sold a Safari Rifle.  Working on a craigslist ad for the Wife, grandkids and four dogs that should net some additional funds if I can get them ALL to bathe before taking photos.  Kick the budget to an estimated $18000 to $19000 with, I believe, up to $13000 available this month.

POWER PACK: Looks we need to try to make this a V8. Dad recently told me a story.  Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY. Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown.

-  Pull the Ford 200/C4 and plan for a V8/Auto Overdrive. 

-  Used low mileage 5.7L hemi's with trans and ECU/Harness unknown appear to be in the $4000 range.  ECU, Harness, tins and peripherals can drive up to another couple thousand if not included.

-  Setting Hemi Fever aside, make the decision points time and budget.  At the time your Craftsmen are prepared to "Set" the power pack if our joint efforts have not procured a Hemi with Auto OD, move forward with a GM Small Block and Auto OD.  There is significant nostalgic precedent for GM driveline and I'm very pleased to have either between the rails.

-  Gearing in the differential as suited to an Auto OD trans.  We'll not be drag racing.  Old men driving around town looking for cokes and hotdogs and occasionally on the highways to get to a deer stand.

STEERING:  No brainer, with a hot rod engine go's power rack and pinion.  When you get to the steering column, wondering if it'll be possible to fit the original Dodge steering wheel to the new shaft? 

WIPERS:  Electric to replace the original vacuum.

UPHOLSTERY: Continue to leave it off the table/out of the budget for the time being.

And because the kid in me can't resist asking.......

-  "Dad, Mr. Walker, it's been two days.  Is the car done yet?"

Edited by Sharps40

• 2 weeks later...

Email of 22 July 2015

"Pops,

Your and Mr. Walkers 23 year old joke is wearing on me.

I am daily balancing my new found exuberance for Ol Bessy against the knowledge that I can't be nagging Mr. Walker twice each day for a status update!

I also realize that you are fully engaged each day making sure my Mother is and remains anywhere from mildly irritated to crazy angry with your behavior.

But.....

If I don't soon get a photo of the car out of the corner and on the floor my head will explode."

• Like 1

Started in ernest last Monday.  After inventorying all the spare panels from the doner car, pricing out all the bits to stage the budget of body, paint, suspension, power, etc.

Full time worker on the project and here we are, ready for the first infusion of cash into this long awaited project......

Near fully stripped, commencing completion of the accident damage, in primer soon.  From there we hit the suspension.  After that, discussion of remaining budget and the potential for V8 Power......last is paint and upholstery.......as the budget holds out!

Here is Ol Bessy as a bare naked lady....

AaFPySn.png

Just got an updated set of photos from Dad. Seems the trunk floor still needs work, probably have to make it from scratch. Still repairing some rot at the lower cowls but doors hung and the final bits of accident damage along the door posts are corrected. Trying to get the photos moved from the phone to the computer, stand by.

These photos represent the end of Week 2 (10 Business days of work) since pulling it from the corner and inventorying the mess!

It was a fight....the photos are coming in as part of the html document in the email instead of attached jpg......I gotta show Dad how!

Anyway, recovered some of the photos and will get the rest off the big computer later.

Front floor pan and firewall pretty much done, the old dash (25 years ago I redid all the woodgrain!) still looks fair.

5WbiMHZ.png

Lokar shifter on the TCI Streetfighter C4 that's been tentatively installed for 23 years is sticking up through the floor pan.

uUxFMKE.png

Up in the engine bay, the brand new moderate performance build Ford 200 L6 that we put in so many years back....it has about 30 mins or less run time on it.  Might be replaced with a V8.

9aN43kG.png

LF fender from the doner car bought and cut up for panels back when the wreck happened.

bUMAIOu.png

Rear floor plan areas nearly done, just some corner work to do in the cowl section and at the rear doors.

2AGwT1X.png

iW7PfJ3.png

A bit of rot to work out at the rear of the trunk pan and the apron under it.

2bYH2FT.png

Drivers side rear door post and fenderwell accident damage repaired and the door being rehung.

3W7QtDU.png

• 2 weeks later...

Less than a week to go, and I should get to see and touch Ol Bessy for the first time in a long time.

Email to Dad this morning:

Dad,

Interesting bits about the old Dodge

Original Base Price:  $830

Number of 1937 4 Door Touring Sedans Produced:  185483

Weight:  2912 lbs.

Length:  196.125"  or 16 ft. 4 1/8 in.
Horsepower:  87

Total Serial Number Range for all 1937 Dodge models 4530451 to 4789907

Vin Location:  Right front door hinge pillar post.  Additional Serial Numbers include 9118501 to 9149360 and 9409056 to 9413740

Factory Colors may have included:  Golden Beige, Mercury Metallic, Stratosphere Blue, Dodge Blue, Regal Maroon, Dodge GunMetal, Chillon Green, Echelon Green and Gyro Blue

Dads response:

Rich,

All great pieces of data.  And I bought it in 1958 for $50.  Do you realize---we have owned it for 57 years!!  That's as long as my marriage---what great choices I made, and now are yours to make. 

Drivers side, where all the accident damage was, very nearly dead straight and prepping the final panels in the cowl.  Firewall/cowl, front door, rear door, center door post and rear quarter all pulled out and reshaped.  Some welding to do and some hinge repairs but this side will be pretty close to bondo free when competed.

REyF62F.jpg

Up front the nose is off and the firewall is perfectly wrinkle free.

ZfgdDqQ.jpg

Significant repairs to the front floor and restoration of the toe board for the hand brake.

9gw61M3.jpg

Passenger side, some rot repairs to do on the lower cowl and the panels are already made up.  Doors are hung and rough aligned....all door rust repaired.  A bit of work to do in the lower rear door post.  But at least this side did not need a cut out and replacement from the parts car of the center door post.

6dO4jKu.jpg

Out back, a total removal of the rotted trunk and hand crafting of a new deck and roll pan under the trunk lid.

t0kgHbm.jpg

The new pan tacked in and as you see, bead rolled for strength and good looks.

WemLnPy.jpg

Running boards, at least this one, appear to be in miraculous condition.  We'll have to check the other but it looks like these will get light repairs and reinstalled.

o6HaHE8.jpg

Out front the nose and fenders being worked.  The fenders will need final shaping to blend out accident damage where it mates to the grill shell and then dipped or blasted to get them ready for paint.

hmfbbkJ.jpg

Replacement drivers fender is mated/matched.  Original Passenger fender is nearly completed.

RoxlxDq.jpg

3iUhgJI.jpg

CvR852D.jpg

This is the underside of the gull wing/alligator nosed hood.

Fortunately, all straight and I have a complete spare for this one too if ever needed, including all the trim and the elusive RAM hood ornament!

kYxJJbA.jpg

g5oR48J.jpg

The "Bits and Bites" all stowed here for sorting and repair and reinstallation later....

vcQuCDQ.jpg

And here in the corner of the shop, (looking at it from the inside view) an entire spare cowl and firewall with lower windshield posts.  Most important here is that we kept this whole with the front body mounts and door pillars/hinge points intact if we ever need it....

QFvp7Ok.jpg

Dad, with Ol Bessy.  Smiling and telling me about how Mom got her drivers test and license when she was 16 years old in this car!  Pillows under her bottom and back and a wood block on each of the gas, clutch and brake pedals!

as5KWw8.jpg

And me, thinkin hard and kickin myself for ever letting this one go.  Thank Heaven for Dad's!

5ba8B8m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little induction art. 

I just need to choose air cleaners to finish it.

Needed some aluminum welding and cast iron brazing to put them back into service shape.  Not undoable but gave it a lot of thought.  It was Dads first hot rod induction.  The old 217.8" Flat 6 D5 engine, .030 over, .060 off the head, Dual Carbs, Edmonds Intake and Split Manifold Dual Exhaust and a skilled up hill driver. 

First car he regularly broke 100 MPH in.  (First car I broke 100 mph in too!)  Doesn't sound like much but Dad typically did it up hill and down hill (naturally, easier) on South Mountain Maryland and around Camp Sinoquipe BSA in the same mountains but on the Pennsylvania side of the Mason Dixon Line.  

At the time, Dad worked at Camp Sinoquipe and drove their daily, he new the mountain roads with his eyes closed.  Many is the bet he won driving Ol Bessy against Straight 8 and V8 motors (late 50s and early 60s) on those mountains.  The bet was always first over the top wins.   Ol Bessy, with her Twin Ball and Ball carbs pulled and pulled and pulled in third gear, eventually pulling in front of the 8s on the long steep grade stretches where Dad knew he could pass and stay in front over the top. 

A plaque is on the way.  It will be engraved as follows, with the fourth line being his full name:

100 MPH!  1937 Dodge
Sinoquipe, South Mountain
Together We Ate The 8's!

AUrOuMQ.jpg

93UIRba.jpg

5U5XX8k.jpg

amNsDZq.jpg

Great story..........have you made a decision on what engine is going in the 'ol girl?.......regards, andyd