1937 Dodge, Ol Bessy Is Coming Home!

Sharps40

Dad,
Temp solution to flooding cold starts.  Add another filter so Ol Bessy can breath.   She fired right up.  Will run her a few days and if this is the answer then we need to stack both or find a less restrictive air cleaner  that looks as good.   
I guess Ol Bessy dont like wearing a mask either.

FB_IMG_1596392738881.jpg

I know it has been a bit since you were discussing insurance, but thought I would throw this out there. 

I went with Haggerty on my 37 Plymouth coupe. Cost is $438.00 per year with $30K agreed value. Includes 8,000 miles per year (no restrictions on when or where), road side assistance and 60 miles one way of flatbed towing. Also get a nifty magazine every other month. Have had the car just over two years and used the flatbed towing twice already. Once in the first week I owned it when the electric fuel pump shot craps and the second time when I had been tidying up the wiring and missed getting one back in the loom. It got caught by the u-joint on the steering shaft causing a direct short which set the underhood wiring ablaze. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher. 

In both instances I called for roadside assistance and they sent the roll back out to get me and hauled me home. Even called a few hours later to check and make sure I and the car were OK and that the driver had taken care of the car with loading/unloading and got me where I wanted to be. 

Video Still.png

Edited by hkestes41

I went with Collector's Cars insurance.  They are affiliated with USAA.  $200 a year, I stated the value for insurance and I get to drive it anywhere up to 2500 miles a year.  Don't know how they would know if I went over since they never asked for the odometer reading.  Being in Alaska and living on a gravel road I only get to drive it from about May to early October on dry days so I'll never hit 2500 miles.

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

I went with Collector's Cars insurance.  They are affiliated with USAA.  $200 a year, I stated the value for insurance and I get to drive it anywhere up to 2500 miles a year.  Don't know how they would know if I went over since they never asked for the odometer reading.  Being in Alaska and living on a gravel road I only get to drive it from about May to early October on dry days so I'll never hit 2500 miles.

I did American Collectors insurance through usaa on my 66 mustang. Only $150 a year. I've been pretty happy with them so far. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dad.  Ranging farther afield.   Over an hour today about 115 miles added to the odometer.   Just under 600 now so about time to change the oil and filter for the 1500 mile cycle.   Once that's done I'll change engine oil/filter and trans oil/filter and consider the power pack broken in.   No serious issues today.   A slight fan belt squeak to check on and the idle is a touch low but otherwise all is well.   It was nice to tool around the big loop on the country roads at 50 mph and listen to Post Punk Radio.   Doing well enough its likely time to take Ruger on a ride in his car.   Every chance he gets, up and in on the front seat waiting to get moving.

FB_IMG_1598380102970.jpg

Dad,

Hundred mile ride confirmed an issue for me today.   Jump on it and she accelerates, but slowly.   So, been two days futzing the accelerator pedal for a comfortable position and still not hit the floor before wide open throttle.   I checked......back to Linkage Set Up 101 classes.

I was only getting about 50% open on the primary carburetor and nothing on the secondary.   So....ripped out the cable, removed all the failure prone plastic parts and replaced them with steel, took out the S turn in the cable and routed a straight shot on the cable from the top of the pedal arm to the throttle.   I had to drill and move the throttle link upward at the carb to get the straightest shot on the cable.  

Before today's effort, the last 1/8 turn of the carburetor throttle arm to wide open position was actually a downward pull......cables don't pull down well.   But now I have her pulling up and then straight back.   I think we are about 90% here in the video.   Primary carb (the back one) is probably opening 80% and the secondary carb (the forward one) about half way.   So, as it sits now, the pedal still hits the floor before both are open full but we should have some real power now.

A side effect of all this was no kick down for passing gear when I goosed Ol Bessy.   She just powered up slowly staying in third gear.   It was horrible.....drove like a dayum Gyromatic! 

Off to the garage again in the morning and I'll dismount the gas pedal, hopefully for the last time.   I think just a little more bend at the bottom will lift the pedal off the floor at wide open throttle, fully open both carbs, drop her into second, get the tires really spinning cause all 220 horse will come on line ..... and still be in a pretty comfortable foot position for driving.

Harley Davidson Brake and Clutch pedal pads are inbound.  Should free up some space between brake and gas.   Not sure if I'll use the oval pedal up and down or the 2/3 pedal mounted horizontally for the brake.   But, both will free up some space and look lots better than the big round bullseye pedal that's on there now.  

Wish me luck. 

Edited by Sharps40

Dad,

Good test ride.   Had to stop short on the first pull, secondary carb was coming in too soon and she went flat before picking up speed.   Tweaked it and went out for a number of pulls starting variously from 20 mph to 40 mph.  

Officially, the motor came to life!   Lots of power in there and much of the vibration is gone now that the throttles are opening more fully. 

Transmission kicks down properly for passing gear and later firmly shifts back to hi range.

Video below is the first pull from 20 mph.  No where near as hard as the pulls that followed but you get the idea.

I made several other pulls, final one ended at 90 mph.   She was still pulling hard at that speed and we were below 4000 rpm but I was running out of straight road!  

Smile dad, Ol Bessy is now in the daily driving rotation.   That Chevy Motor you always wanted for her is a great choice.   It'll run rings around the flathead we had in her. 

Edited by Sharps40

• 2 weeks later...

Dad,

Good vibrations, or lack of.   Looks like all the drive shaft vibration is gone.   Pinion is now 1 degree nose down with the new shims.  Run her up past 60 mph/3000 rpm and smooth as silk.  

Now to aim headlights and do a final drop of the fuel tank to calibrate the sender.

FB_IMG_1599164334548.jpg

First bath since 1991.  Lots of grit in the paint from all the work that had to be done post paint, and should have been accomplished while in primer.   But, she's clean, has a quick coat of spit shine and a good winters project will be a complete polish by hand followed by a sealant.   Gave her the gentle bath using the best home car wash concentrate I've always used.   (1/3 to 1/2 cup baby shampoo, 2 heaping tablespoons of borax and a gallon of water.   Mix the concentrate 1 to 2 cups per bucket of water for a gentle and thorough clean.)

FB_IMG_1599502845865.jpg

FB_IMG_1599502856024.jpg

FB_IMG_1599502873858.jpg

FB_IMG_1599502865771.jpg

A clay bar used with a cleaner spray cleans up great all those small things in the paint.

Mothers brand sells a kit with both. Kind of expensive to me but I hear good things from friends that have used it.

What is expensive to me?  Most things these days.  ?

Your interior looks better with those beautiful dogs!  ?

DJ

• Like 1

On 5/8/2015 at 10:43 PM, Sharps40 said:

Dad is here.  A visit.  News.  The Dodge is mine again.  It was never not mine, since I was 16.  I drove it daily till I was 30 when it was wrecked.  I spent all my money on a lawyer chasing a drunk with nothing and nothing was left to fix it.  I sold it.  23 years ago. 

The day I sold it.  23 years ago.  Dad bought it back.  He and Jim kept it a secret.  Working on it occasionally as time and manning and money permitted.  Stored away in the hot rod shop.  Waiting for 23 years.  Till I wanted it back. 

I almost bought one in Chicago last month.  It was sold the day I arrived to look at it. 

The title, in my name, never transferred has sat in secret in Dads lock box waiting. 

For 35 years it has been my car. 

Before that, since 1957, Dad was the second owner of the Ol Dodge. 

Its coming home.

Make sure you hug your father when you  see him.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2015 at 10:20 PM, bobostski said:

Please put a Mopar engine back in it .How about one of  those Hell Cat Hemi's?. 

Or even a slant 6?

On 7/7/2015 at 11:34 AM, Sharps40 said:

1.  Total modern suspension and rear axle + Power brakes and the possibility of rack and pinion (and depending on the power pack, possibly power rack and pinion)

2.  All accident damage repaired and then primer and possibly paint.

3.  Engine/trans choices are limitless and include the current 200 L6 with C4, GM 350 or Vortec with 4L60E and depending on budget, one of the millions of 5.7L Mopar Hemi engines with automatic overdrive trans!

Meso excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not going to race it,so why not consider a basically stock 318? They aren't expensive,make acceptable power even stock,and last forever while getting good gas mileage and keeping your Mopar,Mopar? Probably save a ton of money by doing that,too.

On 10/19/2015 at 12:24 PM, deathbound said:

I have a friend so paranoid he would put his helmet over his plate when we parked them. All somebody had to do was lift it up for a second or watch him pull away to get a look at it. But I digress, carry on with the build.

Well,back when I was still able to ride,sometimes this odd thing called a "warrants check",whatever that is,that needed to be considered. They couldn't tell who you were by just looking at you while doing a "drive by",but your tag would give you up.

Not that that sort of thing ever concerned ME,you understand.

Fuel tank is in for the last time.   Got the fuel sender clocked so float is centered in the tank left to right for least disturbance of the fuel gauge while driving.   Also measured and set the proper depth and float arm length to get the gauge spot on.   Here with power on the tank shows E when dry and 1/4 when 4 of the 16 gallon capacity is put in the tank.   Success.....time to go get cigars!

FB_IMG_1599573200292.jpg

FB_IMG_1599573188807.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished about an hour and a half ride with GoodWife.   Ol Bessy seems to be happy with the new larger brake master cylinder and brake adjustments.    Starts easy and runs pretty smooth.   I'll check plugs again later, think she's still a bit rich but that can be solved later.   Tuning seems pretty good and the pinion angle is much happier.   Lots of squeaks and stuff so still listening closely to the motor but over all, we are happy.   GoodWife so relaxed on the ride that she took a nap!

• 5 weeks later...

Dad,

First highway run today.   Made the run to Rockingham for gasoline, (this tank 11.23 mpg mostly on short hop drives).  She ran 60 mph on the trip down, pretty smooth.   65 mph on the way back, slightly less smooth.

Notes for adjustments over the next few weeks:

1.  Dual deuces are harder to keep in adjustment than a single 4 barrel carb.   Especially the idle speed.   Mostly it seems about getting and keeping both butterflies closed at idle the same way each time.   Usually a goose will clear it up but I think we need to fix that issue and move on to jetting.   

2.   Let her sit more than five days and the modern half gas/half additives all evaporates out of the bowls and she is much harder to start.

3.  I will need to raise the front end about 1 inch to be comfortable with tire to fender clearance.   Springs have taken all their set now and we could use a small bit of extra clearance for these rough country roads and for when we have passengers aboard.  A .5" isolator on top of the springs should give up to 1" of rise over all.

4.  Rear pinion angle wants a bit more preload.   I think i'll nose down about 1 degree more and see where that puts us.   Based on the last test, Ol Bessy dosn't want any nose up at all on te pinion.

5.  Those 1.75" wide NOS rear springs are soft, bumps the bump stops but not the floor now.   Made for 87 horses.   220 horses likely twist them up a good bit.   Still up in the air but might try some over leaf helpers in front of the rear axle to hold the pinion angle and firm up the ride a bit better.

6.   She's fun to drive!

• 3 weeks later...

Dad, Big step forward. First high speed highway run for Ol Bessy in about 25+ years. A photo out over the hood headed south on I74.....and a short video of the speedometer and serene music, as we steadily roll South bound at 70 mph. (She's loud and thirsty at that speed but pushed her past 75 mph for a stretch and we know she can do it relatively smoothly. But, with no upholstery at least she's no louder than she was running a tractor motor all those years.) I think we finally have the right operating angles for the drive shaft. Bessy no longer shakes her self apart on hard acceleration and running the highway at 2800 to 3100 rpm didn't elicit any untoward vibration from the drive line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVn0NAylh8

Highway.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dad,
Last year i went with the Ford style swan neck mirrors that bolt on. The clip on style for the old dodges always vibrated and fell off.
Problem was the curvature of the door shell didn't allow the ford mirrors to swing in enough to be usable without really contorting your neck.
So, I cut a 3 degree shim for the drivers side and a 7.5 degree shim for the passenger side and now, I can see out the back on both sides without breaking my neck.

7.5degree.jpg

3degree.jpg

passenger.jpg

driver.jpg

• Like 1

Dad,
First endurance run today.   232 miles.   Left this morning at 0945 and arrived home at 1600.   Just over a full tank of gas and we netted a strong 12.25 mpg with some stops and averaging cruise speeds of 55 mph.

From Pekin, NC we went north through Troy, NC to the Pisgah Covered Bridge.   Stopped for photos.   Then North/around and through the Uhwarrie National Forest to the west side and South to the town of Uhwarrie.   From there to Troy, NC again for lunch at Better Burger.   Down State 109 to Wadesborough, NC and further South and East to Bennettsville, SC by way of Cheraw, SC.   From there back up State 15/501 to Aberdeen, NC., North and West through Seven Lakes and Candor, NC on 211 and finally, out State 731 at the South end of the Uwharrie National Forest to home here in Pekin.

She ran great.   Tune seems fine and the carbs are working fine.   Next endurance outing will be up the interstate from Pekin, NC to Fancy Gap, VA and back holding highway speeds.

Todays trip confirms about all we need to do now mechanically is raise the front end on new springs, get the rear springs under control and probably rebuild the rear differential.    Then, it'll be upholstery time.

dodge3.jpg

Dodge2.jpg

dodge1.jpg

Dodge7.jpg

Dodge8.jpg

Dodge6.jpg

Dodge5.jpg

Dodge4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Got Ol Bessy up to VA.   First Dad has seen her together and first drive in nearly 40 years.   After watching, you'll understand why we went with a 1st Gen Chevy V8.  Dad will be 82 soon.   And She is now the way he always wanted her........sometimes it takes a life time to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfrYDCttGW8&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnIt0hSwvU&t=11s

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sharps40 said:

Got Ol Bessy up to VA.   First Dad has seen her together and first drive in nearly 40 years.   After watching, you'll understand why we went with a 1st Gen Chevy V8.  Dad will be 82 soon.   And She is now the way he always wanted her........sometimes it takes a life time to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfrYDCttGW8&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnIt0hSwvU&t=11s

That's awesome bud!

• Like 1