1937 Dodge, Ol Bessy Is Coming Home!

Sharps40

Two choices.  Chevy Small block v8 or big inline six, perhaps a 292.  Trans will be th350 auto.   

The SBC is narrower than the LS and should clear steering and exhaust and its length will clear the radiator.  

Big six is even better for side clearance but might be too long to keep the radiator in its stock location.  

We will decide next week when Dad arrives. 

Edited by Sharps40

Dad,

I was thinking about running a compact spare to save trunk space. But since they are still pretty big.......and I had a solid 14" rim that fits the axles......

I went with a 225/75R14 full size tire. Its about 1.5" smaller in diameter than the tires on the axles now. So we use it like a compact and even though full size, still saves a bit of space and fits under the shelf, which the full size tires wouldn't do.

So, if we get a flat on the back, we have two choices.....under 50 mph and 50 miles with the compact spare to keep from overheating the rear axle or if its not raining, just mount it on the front and put the front tire on the back then just keep running. Neat.

So, now to find a good scissors jack and tire iron and get the brackets bent up to secure it all to the trunk deck.

74682775_3027427447327726_6314942672175890432_n.jpg

Fuel tank in place. I left dad under to caulk the seam at the new and old floor while I relax....

We formed the Tanks Inc straps in place and made them a touch long.   I'll make up sleeves for the t-bolt later as I'll pull the tank for final cleaning and such.  The straps were 3/16 wider than original, but easy enough to thin the loop where the rear of the strap slips into the cross buck and is pinned in place. 

Pleased with the results.   Off with Dad to acquire the engine today and the transmission later this week.

20191027_125752.jpg

Got some photos today working with Dad. We took a day off from hunting Deer to hunt up a new heart for Ol Bessy. Gen 1 350 Small Block.

Bringing her heart home, Dad Working out,.....and, Pending proper lubrication, we are prepared to commence Ol Bessy's heart transplant.

73513649_3055138721223265_6772949021024583680_n.jpg

72944834_3055316887872115_7599185288644001792_n.jpg

73524695_3055320834538387_8013489387478188032_n.jpg

• Like 1

Before the evening hunt, we decided to clean up the garage by installing some of the many parts that keep arriving daily.

For this mornings work we pressed on a Professional Product harmonic balancer and retention bolt. Just gotta get a three pulley set before we start setting the motor.

Dad also installed the mechanical fuel pump. From there he took the centerline measurements of the engine and frame openings....seems we'll have plenty of width for the fuel pump and likely the power steering pump too.

Its looking like classic Rams Horn iron exhaust may fit between the frame rails and....hopefully, leave room for steering connections. But, initially it seems we can set the motor on the center line and still have up to a couple inches to the Passenger side if we need to offset the motor.

Heading out hunting but, its looking like motor mounts will go on the motor today for some more measuring and we'll be ordering a TCI transmission package next week.

74680672_3064394340297703_2337942675660996608_n.jpg

74591196_3064394623631008_7436672092759654400_n.jpg

Getting close to the first test fit on the small block and trans.   Trans arrives Monday, complete kit less flex plate.   I'll get that local when I'm sure on the TC bolt diameter.   Also coming are Alan Grove pulleys and brackets so I can have the length and side measurements (PS Pump bracket) for the trial fitting.   Picked up the Saganaw PS Pump and a Delco 12si Alternator.....I think the alternator will have to go vertical but we'll see.  Other tidbits include new Delco water pump, thermostat and housing, pump pulleys, etc.   Should be enough once bolted on to really have a good feel for where to set the motor/trans between the rails.

Dad,

Transmission arrived! Its a TCI Street Rodder, TH350 automatic.

Long ago, when i was stronger I put one of these in a 62 Chevy Impala behind a mildly built 327 engine. I remember laying under the car, transmission on my chest, guide studs in the block and lifting the trans straight up and sliding it home over the studs. I was a bit stronger then......

This time I'll use a hoist and slide it home from the top!

74890932_3095643930506077_6041697982380769280_o.jpg

Dad,

Starting pump and pulley assembly.  Water neck is good, bolts a bit long for the aluminum manifold, so some tweaking to do.  I scrapped the o-ring and put in a real felpro gasket with the Stant 180 degree thermostat.

Started placing the Alan Grove pulleys and brackets, for now, crank set is assembled and the power steering pump and bracket assembly is roughed in.   Brackets will need paint but it all looks like it'll clear.

Back of block to front of crank pulley is 26.75", add a half inch for clearance at the firewall and the nose of the pulley set will be well back from the radiator.   Power steering pully at mid point of its adjustment is 12" from center of crank to outer edge of power steering pump....as the inner fender wells flare out as they rise, should be plenty of clearance both to the side and between the power steering pump and power steering shafts.....i think!.....we will know soon.   Hope to be setting the package in the frame for first test fit in about a week.

76925182_3099090163494787_1732141605894225920_n.jpg

75388264_3099090116828125_1009034151661142016_n.jpg

Looking good but curious why if you stepped up to the plate and got a pair of Rochesters why not get a third and a triple intake from Edelbrock........lol........a mate here in Oz has a triple set on his 28 Chev Roadster pickup and they look a treat...........tho' if truth be known only the centre one works, the outboard pair fire blanks.............lol................but it looks the part............anyway tho' it looks like you are getting it all together and thats the object of the game..........lol...............andyd

P1010408.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
more info

Dad always ran dual 1 bbl carters on his 218 flathead 6.  He always wanted a chevy v8 and automatic for it but couldn't reach the goal.  I decided the theme for old bessy would be what he could have done back in the 60s.  So .... paint , wheels, v8/auto and two carbs (in this case double 2 bbls) to make it go.   

I struggled on the carb choices.    Very nearly went with dual 45 weber side drafts on an adapter.  Worlds best carbs (webers) but the Rochester's have the right period look for the theme.  

These 2 Rochesters are progressive,  functioning like a single 4 bbl, second carb will tip in about 60% throttle. 

Edited by Sharps40

You know that there are different size Rochesters?, I assume you have a matched pair.........I understand the reason for the twin carbs but the adaptor to fit on the single 4 intake wasn't available in the 60's, tho' the triple one was......lol.......but as mentioned I understand your reasoning.......as for the Webers, the adaptor thats available for them originated here in Oz as far as I know as the early version of the Oz V8 Supercars were limited to only running the same number of carby throats that they did in production form and the weber adaptor allowed the cars to run a pair of 45mm DCOE Webers which were much more tuneable for the race series and those adaptors have been a staple of various hot up ideas since...........anyway the main thing is to build it your way and get it finished..............lol..................andyd  

Dad,

Quick video update.   Trans is together.   Motor and accessories test fitted.   A flexplate and starter/shim kit is on the way.....once thats tweaked, it'll be time to bolt the power pack to the slush box and stick it between the rails.   Looking good.   Alternator to set, pulleys to shim, exhaust and steering yet but almost far enough along to get it off the stand.   Perhaps mid week.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHuy5gPJLA

Dad,

Baring any issues, we set the engine and transmission in the frame Tuesday.   

Starter is in place, a gear drive mini to save room and its clockable to allow for exhaust clearance.  Starter is also rough shimmed for clearances on the gears.  Final shimming after the flex plate is torqued into place.  Flex plate is bolted to the back of the motor, just needs final torque.   

Much learning going on here.   I recall all the flat head motors we assembled over the years with calibrated arm torques, no assembly lube, no pre oiling and not a drop of sealant or lube on fasteners.   Was probably a minor miracle that they all ran so well....or perhaps Dodge Flatheads are so sloppy that any old work is good enough to run them.   I don't know, but I'm following instructions on this one as its the last motor you and I will ever install in Ol Bessy.   I'm sure it'll move her down the road well past her 100th Birthday.  

75627528_3114495608620909_2480892720713826304_o.jpg