Anybody tried flipping the spindles for a drop spindle effect

Todd

I suppose someone somewhere has tried this but I seriously doubt whether the car went very far and/or in a straight line after doing so as the front end alignment would be completely shot, also the upper/lower outer pins/bushes are a different arrangement so correct camber would be impossible me thinks..lol .......also I have seen pics of a lowering job that was done by removing the lower A arm spring pocket/mount and repostioning it on the lower edge of the lower A arm this would lower the front end maybe 2", again you would have to ensure the reattachment was done via hi tensile bolts etc, but could be an option.........the cheapest way to lower a 39-56 Mopar is to cut one coil outa the front end, it will generally drop the car 2", however the exact amount really depends on the condition of your cars coil springs, the best way is to take your coils to a spring shop and get new ones made the desired amount lower, generally I'd go no more than 2" but that's just me.........the pic of my 41 Plymouth coupe shows it with 1 coil cut and 2" blocks, it rode a bit harshly in the front end but was sold b4 the new coils were made.........the 40 Dodge I have has a 318 Poly to assist in the lowering, also 1 coil cut from mid 50's Ford front springs........the rear end is an Oz Ford rear with the stock Ford spring bases on the Ford Axle, its about 1" lower the stock Dodge, the inner body clearance won't allow any further lowering with that diff and the 10" wide rear wheels don't help either, the Dodge has the thicker Ford front springs plus a 1" thick front swap bar so it rides fairly stiff in the front...........lol.......dunno if all this helps........regards from Oz........andyd 

post-612-0-16393900-1430019125_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-03975300-1430019143_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-47040800-1430019181_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-18229400-1430019223_thumb.jpg

fatman does not offer you to use the factory brakes. Is there anything thing else out there. If I take and put the coil spring base under the lower "A" arm that will give me an inch. Could the spring base be spaced another inch lower then the A arm giving two inches approximately. And the cut the coil for a total of three. Just brain storming. Not sur if there would be enough lower A are travel for all that. Might just have to pay the money for a Fatman...

fatman does not offer you to use the factory brakes. Is there anything thing else out there. If I take and put the coil spring base under the lower "A" arm that will give me an inch. Could the spring base be spaced another inch lower then the A arm giving two inches approximately. And the cut the coil for a total of three. Just brain storming. Not sur if there would be enough lower A are travel for all that. Might just have to pay the money for a Fatman...

Did you not read post 2 ???......3 inch drop simply by moving your coil pockets from the top to the bottom of the the lower control arm.....cheap and easy.

Todd........cheapest would still be cutting one coil, also it won't screw up the front end alignment as far as I know, at least it didn't on my coupe.......it was gunna get new springs eventually but ended up selling it before this was done......I would do the springs before I did anything else and see how you like that........andyd

Make sure you post pics....maybe before & after. I like 'em low, most (notice I didn't say all) on here don't. Watch your scrub line in the rear. Posies sells 3" lowered rear springs, though not cheap. They lower the rear 3" from stock height, but not low enough for me. I installed the Posies springs, removed 2 leafs & added 1" blocks with no scrub line issues.....still a "decent" ride too.

Link to Posies:http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/Go to page 44.

Nice car. Like others have already said there's other methods of lowering that have been done for years. Try one or a combo of them and see what you like. They are far more feasible and safer than flipping the spindles. I'm not even sure flipping the spindles would work. Seems like it would throw the front end off real bad. Good luck.

-Chris

The spindle was just a question. It won't work from what I have heard. Thanks for the response

No harm in asking.  I wondered the same thing back when I first got my 49 P15 parrts car, because someone had cut off the front spindles (for a trailer, I suppose).  I got the parts from a 53 my brother scrapped, and so I had it apart anyway.  But with the parts in your hands you can quickly tell that it wouldn't work.  Not just the alignment issues already mentioned, but it would lower it too much.  (I don't like them low anymore myself - that was when everyone was jacking up the rear end on their cars, and as my sister tells me, I guess I "just always have to be different".)