Home Built Carb Heat Shield

Hi yesterday someone on the HAMB, with a 216 chebby wanted to see a carb heat shield.

So I went out to the garage and made 1 in about 20 minutes.

Have a look, not sure it will be enough, as the rear of the carb does not have protection, but the bowl and filter do.

post-107-0-40012400-1429632539_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-25107300-1429632554_thumb.jpg

Okay so decided to see how well this heat shield works.

Drove to filling station down the highway against a 35-40 mph cold wind. The outside temp is only 45f, so way too cold for this test, but did discover something.

After fueling the truck, and maybe 5 minutes later, started truck, it starts but you gotta hold down gas pedal like shes flooded a little, then runs a bit rough for  a few seconds then good to go.

This symptom seems like a float set too high, doesn't it?

I drove home with the wind, 65 mph , carb bowl was quite cool to the touch, so it is not heated up, way too cold to see if this will help in very warm weather driving.

Fred,You did a nice job on the fabrication. One thing I might change is the flare on the shield - I would extend it a bit in length and direct it up maybe 30 degrees and out aimed towards the fender. Do you have an insulating block as well between the carburetor and manifold?

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
  • Like 1

Fred,You did a nice job on the fabrication. One thing I might change is the flare on the shield - I would extend it a bit in length and direct it up maybe 30 degrees and out aimed towards the fender. Do you have an insulating block as well between the carburetor and manifold?

Hi Ralph, good idea on the bend. No I do not have a carb spacer, but plan on making one, if I keep this engine, or if I install the 318 I have...

Fred ,I don't pretend to be an expert on heat shields, but I have seen a few that were stock. At one time I owned a 54 Lincoln Capri,("Road Race Lincoln"), it came stock with an insulating block between the carburetor and manifold. Hudsons in the early 50's came with heat deflectors fitted between the carburetor and the manifold. Also I have an early 50's Studebaker that has  air from the grille directed towards the fuel pump...

Found this photo of Hudson carburetor heat shields. The bend is directed up and over the manifold toward the head...

post-296-0-88077400-1429667366_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is another idea shielding idea someone set up....

Insulator spacer is a good idea. Used on the later 50's flathead cars.

post-302-0-51164400-1429670699_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Which, the carb or the line, need the heat protection? Is the shield needed if an electric pump is used?

carb, fuel lines, keep em as cool as possible in summer heat won't hurt. Your electric fuel pump, should be a big help with hot carb and hot fuel starts.....