tiptoe transmission question

1948cruiser

I have a 1948 dodge coupe with my stock 3 on tree fluiddrive, i found a transmission off 1948 desoto with tiptoe transmission for $200 can this fit my dodge? Would it help at gaining speed at lower RPM? Or should i just avoid it and keep what i got?

Ps i understand the both have fluidrives

Tip-toe is the semi-automatic 4 speed trans. If it were me, keep what you got.

I have a Gyro in my newly obtained 49 Coronet. It's ok but not my first choice.

Jim

Thanks Jim

I ouwould keep my old original one till i find an old desoto OD.

Thanks for the response. Glad i found a forum that has so much information

• Like 1

most transmissions for automotive applications have a one to one top gear unless they are identified as over drive.  So the swap will gain you nothing.  You can save some RPM by fitting taller rear tires, or changing to a lower numeric rear end set up.    other than that 1 to 1 be 1 to 1.

There's a slight advantage with the tip-toe transmission getting off the line, in a lower third gear with an upshift to the 1 to 1 fourth gear, but not worth the trouble with the Dodge engine.  

For my two-ton Suburban, starting in third is good.  For your coupe, start off in your 1 to 1 third gear and let the fluid coupling ease you off the line.  No clunking, no solenoids, no relays.  

My second car was a '50 DeSoto with the tip-toe (klunk-O-matic). The trans had serious gear/bearing issues so I replaced it with a 3 speed from a junk yard. IMO, the car drove a lot better with the 3 speed. Of course, I'm talking about a very tired engine in a car on its last legs. My grandfather and uncle both had '50 DeSotos with with the same trans in much better cars, but they were very sluggish when starting from a stop in 3rd gear.