Couple of Items...

Hi guys,

A couple items I could use an assist with.  

1.  The size of the emergency brake capture bolt on the left side of the transmission (see photo).  I can't get anything started, maybe it needs to be tapped out.  

2.  Taking a look at other trucks, I appear to be missing a second steering column bracket that secures the top half of the column under the dash (see photo).  Any assistance securing one would be gratefully appreciated.

With thanks,

Ralph

post-6296-0-40015000-1429037805_thumb.jpg

post-6296-0-99873800-1429037820_thumb.jpg

Can you thread a bolt into the hole without the brake band in place? That would be my first try, just to be sure the threads in the arm are good. It should be a fine thread but I don't remember what size. 1/2" maybe?

And yes, you are missing the top part of the bracket. It should look like this.

post-31-0-79340000-1429047007_thumb.jpg

Merle

• Like 1

That's the part Merle, thanks for the pic.  Anyone know where I might locate one (set if nec.)?

In terms of the brake band, I agree that it seems to be about 1/2" fine thread.  I can't currently get to the threads in the mount, because the band won't slide far enough out of the way (would need to disassemble).  Maybe gently tapping those outer threads, inner threads the most important... 

Without the second bracket, the column gets pulled right up to the dash, which doesn't seem correct.  Also, it put the column at a slightly different angle, which appears to be okay, but again not correct.  Seems like I saw at least one other truck at the bbq that was missing this bracket.  Ralph

Funny...don't think mine had that either...the U piece is laying on the bench from when I swapped columns. Could that have been for column shift only, for the extra stress?

No my 39-47 trucks use 2 pieces too

I'm not sure on the truck 3 speeds but the adjusting screw  on all the passenger car e-brakes it's a 5/16" X 18 TPI (course) and has to be the correct length...about 1".

• Like 1

For that column top bracket make sure you get the correct one for the year of your truck.  The 48-50's are different to the ones used on the 51-53's.  It has to do with the angle of the steering column.  What year is your truck?

• Like 1

once you have figured out which bracket to secure, make sure to post that under the "classified/wanted" section and not in this discussion forum.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Be careful to mate the band and that anchor bolt you are looking for to the transmission. I had three of those bands but only one actually fit.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the advice and reminders.  

Tim is sending the bracket set, and I'll continue to carefully explore the e-brake anchor bolt situation.

Ralph 

So the steering column bracket Tim sent fits perfectly (Thanks Tim!), and I'm still figuring out the hand brake.

The anchor bolt on the driver's side appears to have a spring (I believe it acts like a lock washer to hold the adjustment in place) which I've ordered from VPW ('appears' to be same bolts and springs for all models) along with an adjusting bolt spring (passenger side) that I'm missing.

Once I get all of the parts in place, I'll have a go at adjusting the contraption.

• Like 3

Glad its working out.

Any full pictures of your truck?

Don't think I've seen.

Tim aka 48Dodger

Edited by 48dodger

The truck is pretty much as it appears in my profile photo (larger version in gallery). Since taking the photo I have:

-finished the bed

-reinstalled gas tank

-replaced driver's door glass

-reinstalled instruments

-reinstalled carburetor

-reinstalled hood

I'm currently:

-finishing hand brake assembly/adjustment

-finishing choke assembly/adjustment

-finishing 12 volt conversion (installing reducers for wiper, heater, sending unit)

A few other odds and ends like replacing a leaky wheel cylinder, but getting very close. I can't tell you how much this forum has been a part of this restoration, from parts to how-to to encouragement.

Thanks guys!

• Like 2