Found a few P15 items at a swap meet this weekend

BobT-47P15

On Friday (Apr 10) a friend and I and my son in law went to a swap meet sponsored by a Shrine club from Kansas City.   It was held in the small town of Lathrop, MO.....a few miles north of Kansas City.  The meet has moved three or four times in the past few years.....not sure of the reasons.  Of course I was specifically looking for P15 parts.  One vendor, who was off shopping and not minding his store,

had a gas gauge for sale........which I did not buy since the owner was not around on the first or second visit to his space.  

Otherwise, my son in law found one vendor who happened to have some assorted P15 items among his other merchandise.  So I ended up buying all the pieces he had.....for a fairly reasonable price.

Good to have some extras............

What I got..........                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          DSC01786.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't post it as "for sale".........but as what I found at the swap meet to add to my collection.  

Most of those things are useable, but most chrome needs re-plating. 

For example, having some spare bumper guards might be good in event of some sort of accident

which damaged my new old stock ones that are on the car now. 

The 46-48 Plymouth parts are pretty hard to find around here....so I've been stocking up.

A lot of people who have some old Plymouth part do not have an old Mopar car.....and the part doesn't mean

much to them.  But you don't usually get a "like new" quality item.     

Even at the Hershey swap meet, there were only a couple guys who specialized in old Chrysler product goods. 

And I bought stuff from both.

If someone wants to shift this to the regular forum..........feel free to do so. 

Edited by BobT-47P15

nice finds.  Are you driving the car yet?

Hi Greg.........it is drivable, but not getting much use yet.   Actually still trying to get a new top installed.  The first one I bought from E Z On Tops through

a dealer and then an upholstery shop in Kansas City......was a bit skimpy on material and would not fit right.  So I called the maker and they took back 

the old top, made another and sent it.  The seam across the rear where it tacks onto the wooden top bow is in the wrong place on that one.  So, I called

the company again to explain the problem......now they have sent a third top.  My upholstery guy will come by sometime this week to check out the new item.  Hopefully it will be right.  If not, I don't know what to do.   Robin in the UK said he got his new top from Bill Hirsch and it fit perfectly.

The engine is still smoking but runs perfectly well.  I can drive it to local and area events but still need to send it to someone for at least a partial  

re-do. 

I went to the Charlotte Motor Speedway show and flea market this last weekend, and didn't see any Plymouth P15 parts at all, and no cars to speak of.   Closest thing I saw was a '66 model.

Ford and Chevrolet predominately.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, Me and my son are restoring 1948 Plymouth convertible and I was wondering if maybe you help us locate a couple of windshield wiper towers. This a complete body off restortion and these towers are just about all were missing right now. I can see by your add that you have a mighty nice looking convertible and would know exactly what the towers look like. Thanks, Bob Ritter (rritter2@ca.rr.com)

P15 convert wiper tower...........DSC09019.jpg

DSC09003.jpg

100_6424.jpg

Yep..........and they are pretty darn hard to find.  A new one appeared on eBay quite a while back.....sold

for $150.   Corresponded with the seller......who had a second one........which he also sold to the first

buyer.  I said something about both being for the same side........the seller said you can switch them and

make one work for the other side............so if you need both, but can find two for the same side, grab them.

I don't know where to suggest looking except for eBay.  You might go there and set up a notification to

be sent to you if that item appears.  

Why are the convertible wipers different than a regular sedan or coupe? Is the cowl different? I understand that the upper windshield area may be different due to the top header vrs a metal roof, but what is different about the bottom side where the wipers mount? 

Merle

Why are the convertible wipers different than a regular sedan or coupe? Is the cowl different? I understand that the upper windshield area may be different due to the top header vrs a metal roof, but what is different about the bottom side where the wipers mount? 

Merle

You can see the difference in this photo. I believe the vert windshield is shorter and possibly at a different angle.

vwbus.jpg

Yes, I've seen the difference. I'm just wondering why the convertible body needs to have the stand-off type and the others have a normal wiper drive. It seems like the vert assembly is much more complicated and prone to failure with more moving parts.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

The convertible uses a shorter wiper arm and shorter blade than other models......but I don't know why they couldn't

have used the same wiper pivot arrangement as the other cars.   

Convert pivots are fancier looking, of course.    And ,,,,,,the wiper motor on a covertible is actually a bit smaller than a sedan.

Uses a specific and different part number.  

OK, I see now the windshield is shorter on the convertible.

That means the shorter wiper arms would sweep a very small "fan".

But the closer the pivot is to the edge of the glass, the broader a swath it would wipe.

So they cantilevered the pivots up over the edge to get a bigger "wipe"; sorta like this: (No, it's not to scale. Just a schematic diagram.):

post-6765-0-03932000-1430343106_thumb.jpg

(poor resolution of the thumbnail makes it look black, but the green lines show the coupes and sedans, while the red lines show the convertible.)

Edited by Ulu