Blue motor oil???

54Illinois

I scored some Valvoline VR1 racing oil from AutoZone when it was $1.00 a quart.  10w-30 was the viscosity. 

I added one quart to an oil change to increase the zinc for the 230. 

The other oil was SAE 30 PennZoil which was also a $1.00 a quart.

Why was the Valvoline blue???

I am not sure but you somewhat answered a mystery of mine. I drained this out of a flathead I bought used and was wondering also how the oil got blue. Mine was only 1/2 blue so did they just top it up with that valvoline?

Edit: the non blue oil could just be leftovers in my drain pan.

IMAG0282.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

I went onthe valvoline web page and yes they state that their  VR1 racing oil has a blue color.  They did not state why but i guess this might be used identify that you are usint their specific brand and their racing oil. 

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

i run  val  VR1  in my  40,,,ran  it in my  barracuda for years,,,flat tappet cam,,,ive never seen  blue,,, ill be doing an  oil  change soon ,,,ill pour  some  out of the  fresh and  check it,,, make sure you DO NOT have  VR1  for  off road,,,,that is  only  formulated for  500  miles,,mixing  more then  one  brand  at the  same  time  is  not  a  good thing to do,,,all engine  oils are the same  EXCEPT  for the  additive  package,,,once  my  VR1  is  gone ill be  switching  over to joe  gibbs  driven  classic  car  or  lucas classic car oil,,,VR1  at  auto  zone fora  buck ??  you  got a DEAL,,  

When I was a kid, they sold purple gas for farm use.

It was sold to farmers at a discount.

It was a die that the gas companies put in to identify that it was for farm use only.

It was illegal to use it in cars or any truck without a Farm (F) plate.

The farm truck could only be used for farm purposes.

I still remember the police randomly coming into town with a siphon pump and checking all vehicles to see if they were running purple.

The big picture here is , how much do we know about Zinc. The oil today has reduced Zinc. It is necessary for solid lifter camshafts. It can be put in as an additive. I was told this during my current rebuild. Thank you Monte Hammett. (not a forum member) 

JD  

The big picture here is , how much do we know about Zinc. The oil today has reduced Zinc. It is necessary for solid lifter camshafts. It can be put in as an additive. I was told this during my current rebuild. Thank you Monte Hammett. (not a forum member) 

JD  

Yes, zinc has been reduced to about the level it was raised to in the 1950s to deal with issues in the then new V8 engine designs. That is far higher than the zinc content that was in the oil when the L-6 engine was designed.

yes the  zinc  can  be added,,,but  some  oil companies  claim  additives  dont always mix  properly  with  every  brand  of oil,,,all motor oils are based the same,,,but each  company  uses a differnt  additive package,,,  learned  this at a oil  seminar  at carlisle,there are a few companies that make  classic car specific  oils,,,  bradd penn,,,valveoline VR1 ,joe gibbs driven  oils, lucas,,,these oils  are not  cheap,,,if your  local  auto  store doesnt  carry  it  in the  viscosity  you need,,, most  mail oder  places,,,summit,,jegs  carry them,,,and  most times the  shipping  is free,,,remember  these oils are not  cheap,,,but im  guessing  most of  us  only change the oil in our  classic cars once a season ?

When I was in high school I worked at an oil mixing plant. I used to mix motor oils in batches of several hundred gallons to maybe a thousand. I clearly remember that Pennsylvania grade oil was green in color and that Mideast oil was blue in color. That tells me that the oil in question is probably from the Mideast.