Transmission, 1947 Dodge WITH fluid drive.

Conn47D24

Just had the 3 speed trans opened up at my transmission shop. Among other things they found the reverse idler gear had several broken teeth. So I looked up this part in my parts book and it is described as having 15 teeth. The broken one in mine has 16 teeth!

So do I have a Dodge Transmission?

Did these 3 speeds differ from D,S,C,P ?

I'll need to know in so I can search for the correct parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks In Advance

Clay

post-5542-0-96541600-1426941960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Conn47D24

• 2 weeks later...

If theres a coupler there than its fluid drive. If not it's a base 3 speed column shift.

If your not sure what its supposed to look like pull back your passanger side carpet or rubber and see if theres a trap door set up near the tranny hump.

If so thats a door to refill the coupler. I don't know what the correct stock set up would be but you can google 1947 Dodge "specs" and you'll have a read out sheet with basic info. I know in 1949 the Fluid Drive was the only option for Dodge buyers.

You may not have a stock set up in the car also.

Doc

MoPar #1142113 is the 16 tooth reverse gear and fits all 1946-53 M-5 and M-6 semi automatic transmissions... not the standard 3 speeds which do use a 15 tooth reverse gear par t#952244.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo,  I ended up using a rebuilt I found on Ebay and my shop swapped the longer front shaft ( for FD ) from my old trans. 

My confusion came from my Dodge parts book that list the reverse idler gear as the 15 tooth, 95224.  Just assumed my trans was wrong for my FD.  All is right now in mudville ( for now ).

On to the frontend.

Thanks all !

Clay