Pete's and others over heating issues...

James_Douglas

My radiator has the overflow tube in the cap neck, which I believe works with the pressure caps. My car is a late production '50, with the narrow fan belt. I'm not sure when they started using pressure caps, but maybe I already have the radiator for the pressure cap...

Pete

underhood.jpg

My '48 New Yorker has the overflow tube piped to the filler neck, and the cap appears to be a pressure cap of some sort (factory equipment), but the filler is taller than on my '50 Chrysler ( and most later vehicles ). I wanted to replace the 50 year-old radiator cap with a modern Stant unit, but the sealing disc was about a 1/2 inch shy of the bottom of the filler neck, where these things normally seal.

The OEM cap has a 1" diameter tube affixed to its underside, and at the bottom end of that is a cone-shaped orifice with a spring-loaded ball behind it. I believe the bottom end of the tube seats against the bottom of the filler neck, and when coolant pressure is sufficient, it forces past that spring-loaded ball, and on through a hold in the side of the tube, up near the cap.

All that said, the radiator in the '46-'48 Chrysler eight is HUGE: 26 qt cooling system capacity ( 4-1/2 gallons!). Also, it is a fin & tube core, not the cell-type used with the sixes.

Since the front clips on the Chrysler six & eight are very similar, the eight cylinder radiator is the same height & thickness as the six cylinder version, but it is wider, kind of looking like it has "love handles".

I ran the '48 on four-hour trips up & down I-81, in the summer, and also sit in hot August PennDOT back-ups, and the water temp never went above 160 F.

I think the answer may be found in a radiator with larger capacity.

Jon Robinson, one of the gurus on the De Sotoland website, has noted increases in avergage operating temperature with each rebuild/re-bore of the 251 Chrysler six that's in his '50 De Soto... I believe he's on his 3rd re-build.

I think his present "normal" is about 180 - 190 F.

My '41 S-8 has run on the hot side (180- 185 F) as long as I've had it, and in warm weather, the faster I drive it, the hotter it gets (190 F+) I'm sure the water jackets are full of crud. I 've done the t-stat thing and had the cellular radiator boiled and pronounced "clean"...

Might be worthwhile to try the old "burlap-bag soaked in water in front of the radiator trick", and see if that makes it run cooler for a bit, if so, that would suggest that the stock radiator just may be maxxed-out.

Guest jjmorrse

If Johnny Cash was able to tour the country in one of these, it should be designed to run pretty cool :)

I have run approx. 300 miles 100+ weather and did not overheat. The only time I get close is when I am stuck idling in the drive thru for a long time. I have not added more induction or compression/ single1bbl. carb. Additionally I have a split exhaust to get the hot out fast.