What's your Favorite Motor Oil for your P15 and D24???

LFT_QBA_1980

Ok, at the risk of incurring the wrath of the "do a search" crowd - what's the deal with specifically needing zinc in motor oil?  Our D24 has over 200K miles on it, I've only ever used Valvoline SAE 30 (no particular reason, mainly habit), I have no clue how much zinc it has, I've never had any problems with the lubricating system, and would think all motor oil has that particular mineral in it?  It is not touted in any motor oil commercials. 

Now we can go fishing :D  cuz this is a can of worms :P

Extracted from "allpar" article.

"Is the lack of zinc and phosphorus as big a problem as it appears to be? No! Emphatically, no! So many of the on-line chat rooms are talking about the new oils being harmful or even dangerous to our older engines. Look at the source. Everyone "knows someone, who knows someone” whose engine was supposedly destroyed by modem oils. I question that. If all of these new urban legends were true, there would, be a mountain of destroyed engines to rival Mount Everest. It only takes one person to yell “fire!” with conviction and the entire theater empties out. Well, someone yelled "fire" about engine oils and started a stampede for the exit.

The new oils have been tested, and passed more stringent testing than our engines are going to receive. Granted, after the fact, ZDDP, zinc and phosphorus have been touted as the only things between our engines and total disaster. Zinc and phosphorus were excellent anti­wear additives, and they are still available in diesel oils. But they have been replaced by other additives in SM oils. They have been tested in independent laboratories and the results analyzed. The new additives provide adequate anti-wear protection. " .......................

It appears, then, that although there may be some potential for additives to supplement the anti-wear properties of SM oil, until they are thoroughly tested and approved we can only speculate as to whether they are doing the job in helping to decrease wear within the engine.

If you still have reservations about using SM oils in older engines, there is a pretty safe alternative for you: diesel oil. At the present time, diesel oils do not have the same restrictions on zinc or phosphorus as gasoline engine oils. Take a careful look at diesel oils at your local auto parts or chain store. The API donut will specify the type of service that the diesel oil is designed to handle. Many diesel oils are "cross-over" oils - they carry a dual designation on the donut (for example, "API Service CI-4/SL). The "C 1-4" is the diesel rating, but the "SL" is the gasoline-engine rating. They have incorporated all of the additives to make their oils compliant with gasoline engines without sacrificing proper lubrication in a diesel engine.

If there is one drawback in using a cross-over diesel oil in a gasoline engine, it is that the ash content will possibly be higher than a gasoline-engine only oil. In a well-maintained, tight gasoline engine it shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Straight diesel oil (not a cross-over formula) could be used in a pinch, but crossover oil is so easy to find that there shouldn’t be a problem on that account. And although for gasoline engines, only oil grades SJ, SL and SM are current, for diesel cross-over oils, SH grade oil is still permitted.

To summarize, there are methods of solving the boundary-lubrication problems in our older cars. But as you see, a bottle of modern engine oil is a complicated blend consisting of nature's own oil, miracle chemicals, high-technology, serious laboratory and engine testing and, I suspect, just a pinch of a witch's brew thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1

And to think - 30 years ago I was heading down the road to a degree in petroleum engineering.  I had already checked off "geology" when the late '70s oil boom in the Permian Basin tanked, so off to the Army I went.  I coulda answered my own question...... B)

• Like 2

Amsoil makes a specific oil for older cars.  In addition to the zinc issue it has extra anti-corrosion additives particularly useful for vehicles driven infrequently.  IT is 

Z-ROD 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Modern Technology For Classic Cars

AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. A high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage.

A detailed description and all the marketing bumf can be seen at   http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ZRTQT-EA

Amsoil makes a specific oil for older cars.  In addition to the zinc issue it has extra anti-corrosion additives particularly useful for vehicles driven infrequently.  IT is 

AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. A high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage.

A detailed description and all the marketing bumf can be seen at   http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ZRTQT-EA

It is my opinion that "Specially Engineered" indicates the prices is jacked up for those who believe the advertising hype. But it is your money. If it makes you feel good buy it.

• Like 1

The feel good syndrome...it's all in marketing....that's how they sell to you. Dollar store oil, modern technology for classic cars..lol.

Another beat the "oil' to death and the ZDDP must have thread, this is entertaining.....

Not really entertaining.  I find it repetitive and a waste of cyber space.

• Like 1