What's your Favorite Motor Oil for your P15 and D24???

LFT_QBA_1980

I am interested to find out what motor oil you guys are putting in your Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Flathead P15-D24 engine and why. 

What's your favorite Brand of motor oil for your old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Flathead 6 motor and why? 

Brand:

SAE: 

Why: 

Thanks,

LFT

That's a question that gets asked frequently and after much discussion, no firm and concrete conclusions can be drawn.  Some time using the search function will bring  up any number of them in this forum as well as most other automotive forums.

Years ago... around 1980 my brother and me were at the Duvall Tavern having a few brewski's. Maybe a lot-cannot remember.

He drove his 1953 1 ton and I had my 1953 plymouth Savoy wagon. We finished up drinking .

Went outside the tavern and were gettin ready to leave.  He was checking his oil in his truck ... as it was a nice long drive home for him. and he knew to check it.

I said I had some oil.

Yea I sure did.... I had some banana oil :D .

I jambed a banana down his fill pipe with a short wooden stick and added a 1/2 quart of some kinda oil.

He did some cussin at me and drove home.

That engine to this day still runs the same and still uses oil too.

Amazing the abuse some of these old engines can take!

I take good care of all my cars and trucks. I change the oil every 3000 miles and always use the same brand of oils every time. never have had a failure in any of them. 

I mainly use castrol GTX.

• Like 3

Reason I was asking was to make sure that I am putting the correct oil on my car and to find out if anyone had a bad oil that they did not like or they had good experience with some type of oil. But I guess i will keep using Castrol HD SAE 30. 

LFT

Good morning guys, 

Doing some research as I wanted to find out info on oils. I wanted to make sure I was using the correct oil in my car. Found this website. OLD but talks enough about the oils SAE, 10W etc... Gave me a good idea on what to do with my car. On another note. Back in the days they would give us so much information that we got to know a lot. Now days kids don't want to know if they are not interested in the subject or not on the web.  

Read this, Interesting. 

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/029/cover.htm

Enjoy

LFT

There is no correct oil for this car.......those engineers are all dead and know nothing of modern oils. The cheapest dollar store oil is far exceeds the quality the oils available in the 30s up to the 70's......this horse is so dead it's just a greasy smear on the highway. Put whatever oil makes you feel good in the car, it's your [dog collar] money.

Edited by Frank Elder

You ask for it Frank :o

When these vehicles were new in the 40's the quality of oil was not what it is today. Break in oil may have been a requirement then. With the much improved engine oils available today I dont believe the use of any special break in oil is required. If you buy a new vehicle today is there a break in oil recommended?

And also along these lines it is my opinion that the oil change intervials that the oil change houses recommend are way too soon. Most recommend every 3000 miles or every 3 months. They do this in hopes that you will return and spend more money before you really have to. I personally run my vehicles (my P-15 included) 6-7 thousand miles before I change the oil.

And I have said this several times. You can buy your dog a diamond studded collar and the dog dont care. The diamond studded collar will not perform any better than a hunk of hemp rope but if it makes you feel better buy it. In my opinion the same is true for oil additives. The additives will not make the oil perform any better but if it makes you feel better buy it.

One can go to Pets-Are-Us and buy a diamond studded collar for there favorite dog. The dog could care less as the collar is not required and does nothing. But by using this collar the dogs owners boost there personal comfort level and it makes them feel good.

One can go to Pep Boys and buy lead additive or most any other liquid additive for there favorite car engine. The car engine could care less as the additive is not required and does nothing. But by using these additives the car owners boost there personal comfort level and it makes them feel good.

I hate to sound like a broken record but one can go to Pets-Are-Us and buy a diamond studded collar for there favorite dog. The dog could care less as the collar is not required and does nothing. But by using this collar the dogs owners boost there personal comfort level and it makes them feel good.

The same is true with zinc oil additives and all oil additives in general. If it makes you feel good then by all means spend your money. The manufactures of these additives will all tell you that they will make your engine run better and longer. The prime reason they tell you this is so you will buy there stuff.

So once again if it makes you feel good then spend away but none of this stuff is required.

If you do a forum search on oil and oil additives you will find that this subject has been cussed and discussed many times. I have read all of this information and my take is that modern oils available today exceed the requirements of mopar flathead engines. I use the least expensive multiviscosity oil I can find. I dont spend any money on additives as in my opinion they do nothing except add to the coffers of the manufactures and they are not required.

I hate to sound like a broken record but I have said this many times. You can go to Pets-Are-Us and buy a diamond studded collar for your favorite dog. The dog could care less as the collar is not required and does nothing. But by using this collar the dogs owners boost there personal comfort level and it makes them feel good.

The same is true with oil additives and all additives in general. If it makes you feel good then by all means spend your money. The manufactures of these additives will all tell you that they will make your engine run better and last longer. The prime reason they tell you this is so you will buy there snake oil. Where is the dicumented proof?

• Like 1

I have had pretty  good luck over the years with Valvoline 10W-40 in my P15.  

Seems like it stays with the engine longer than some other brands.

Just my two cents worth.  

I used to occasionally add a bottle of "Instead O Lead" additive to my oil........but then

I found out the valve seats came hardened from the factory on our ole flathead engines.

So I stopped using it.  Once in a while I add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank

and/or the engine oil.  

So..... perhaps an occasional additive of some sort would be OK.

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

Brand? - I don't have brand loyalty.In the past few years I've been buying Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 for my old Dodge..Why? - While not the least expensive engine oil,I have been buying it at Wal Mart for $11-$12 for a US Gallon (3.78 litres).My old Dodge is in a heated garage,I don't use the car often during the winter months,(Alberta,Canada), if that was a requirement I would change to a lighter muti-grade engine oil.I do have a block heater and a removable oil pan heater as well as a winter front and the old Dodge is not totally idle for the winter.  

As to the Why? I should have added that one of the reasons I'm using Mobil Delvac 1300 in my old Dodge is that I owned a diesel truck a few years back. I do my own oil changes and that was the product I was using in the diesel.I tend to stock up on oil when it goes on sale.I no longer have the diesel truck - However , I had a surplus of this oil on hand and an oil change was due for my old Dodge,I used the Mobil Delvac 1300 I had on hand at the time and I have continued to do so.I'm not endorsing this product...I have a stock of other engine oils that I use as well on other vehicles. Generally,as a rule I don't like to mix other brands,weights,etc. in an engine between oil changes if topping up is required.I don't have a brand loyalty and I believe as others have said that most engine oils out of the container today are far superior to those in the past when our vehicles were new and no additives are required.

NAPA Non-Detergent Straight 30 Weight

Zinc? Chelated 15 Milliigrams one a day for me for good prostrate health LOL

..Lived on the left coast when I was  younger,I enjoyed the the oysters while strolling the beaches... :)