FREEZE PLUGS

LFT_QBA_1980

Freeze Plugs, 

Need to know about different type of Freeze plugs, I ordered some and they are metal like this pic. Has anyone used these and why are these different from the copper looking once. Also what way do they go in? 

I was told that I can use them because we are now using antifreeze so its OK. What's your expertise on this matter? 

Thanks, 
LFT

post-7038-0-50334800-1424909207_thumb.jpg

post-7038-0-99447100-1424909624_thumb.jpg

post-7038-0-81573200-1424909637_thumb.jpg

these are affectionately called freeze plugs but they are actually core plugs....when casting the sand is removed through these holes and then plugged...You have the correct style for the flathead in the picture..you insert them into a cleaned and dry hole with sealer and most prefer to use Permatex brand and then dimple the center..this will cause the disc to expand 360 around the edge and make a good tight metal to metal seal..usuallyy a ball peen hammer rounded end is used with another hammer striking the back o that one..other folks have other methods...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Thank you Plymouth Adams, 

So let me get this correct the rounded side of the freeze plug goes outwards. So when you hit it with a Ball Peen Hammer it will get even tighter? Also how long do I wait before I drive the car again?

these are affectionately called freeze plugs but they are actually core plugs....when casting the sand is removed through these holes and then plugged...You have the correct style for the flathead in the picture..you insert them into a cleaned and dry hole with sealer and most prefer to use Permatex brand and then dimple the center..this will cause the disc to expand 360 around the edge and make a good tight metal to metal seal..usuallyy a ball peen hammer rounded end is used with another hammer striking the back o that one..other folks have other methods...

Thank you, 

Will look into doing them soon. Will leave info If I do it or someone else does it for me. This will be the first time. I'm a little afraid of messing things up. 

Go for it.  You won't learn how any younger.

Done it. Thank you for your support. Its true "Won't learn how any younger".  After leaving it for almost 24 hours and filling it with antifreeze time to drive it after work tonight. And if all works out fine Tomorrow Fundraiser for the Humane Society of Imperial County, CA. 

Freeze Plugs, 

Need to know about different type of Freeze plugs, I ordered some and they are metal like this pic. Has anyone used these and why are these different from the copper looking once. Also what way do they go in? 

I was told that I can use them because we are now using antifreeze so its OK. What's your expertise on this matter? 

Thanks, 

LFT

They are known by a lot of different names, frost plugs, freeze plugs, expansion plugs and a number of things.. 

The copper looking ones is a coating process or plating process that is put on to the metal and there are a number of different coatings used by different manufacturers.  If you were using only distilled water (and I am not suggesting you do that) then what the expansion plug is made of would be of less importance than when you use antifreeze if you lived where it never freezes.  The reason being is antfreeze is corrosive and a number of types of antifreeze have corroded these plugs in the past.   Now yes, if you live in a climate that freezes and if the temperature does not drop below the point that the antifreeze you are using fails then it will not be freezing that is the issue with these plugs.  And if it does drop below the temperature that your antifreeze can protect, it may push one of these plugs out and avoid damaging your block, but it may also crack the block elsewhere  because there is no guarantee that the freeze up only pushes on these plugs.

Personally I use as good a quality engine coolant as I can find (which yes could start another thread) and as I am sure you can see some of the plugs in your engine block are easy to get at and others are an absolute pain in the backside to get at. So for me, like the coolant I use the best plugs I can buy.  For me those are brass ! 

Your engine uses two different sizes..  3/4" and 1 5/8".

here is what I use:

Pioneer automotive

EP - 3 - B - 10

On the actual brass plug it says p3  3/4"

(they come qty 10 in a box) and

&

EP-14-B - 10   

which are   1 5/8"

there used to be tons of places that sold them in solid brass..  If people have other sources I would love to know as I can only find 1 supplier that still carries them. Lots can special order but only 1 seems to stock them. 

So not to be seen to be violating a policy of pitching product, I wont mention that supplier here. If you want to know drop me a line.

Tim

ps: I attached a picture of them installed in my Engine..

post-5630-0-90786200-1425096144_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a 3/4" core plug fit any Mopar flathead... :confused:

The Dodge and Plymouth use a 1-3/16" core plug up on the head.

The DeSoto and Chrysler use a 1-3/8" core plug on the head

All the others are 1-5/8" as mentioned. Except the rear cam plug OE is brass and measures 1-3/8"

The bell housing rear 1-5/8" core plugs also were brass and doubled up from the factory .

The front of engine hidden 1-5/8" core plug behind the engine mount plate was brass  as original equipment.

Bob

• Like 1

They are known by a lot of different names, frost plugs, freeze plugs, expansion plugs and a number of things.. 

So not to be seen to be violating a policy of pitching product, I wont mention that supplier here. If you want to know drop me a line.

Tim

ps: I attached a picture of them installed in my Engine..

Tim, I don't think there's a problem mentioning a supplier, as long as you're not affiliated with selling said product....otherwise, it would go in the Classified section. At least that's MY interpretation. Engine looks nice, BTW.

• Like 3

When I've had to replace these things, we call them Welch/Welsh plugs here in Oz, freeze?......whats freeze.....I always try to use brass plugs.........I replaced all the block side plugs in the 41 Plymouth with brass plugs, a couple of the steel ones were weeping when I got the car so just replaced the lot with the brass ones, gave the water passages a good poke around with some stiff wire then hosed and hosed the insides.......replaced the plugs, filled the radiator, ran the engine for a while then dropped the lower & upper radiator hose and squirted the garden hose in those holes........seemed to get a bit of crud out...............andyd  

I have never seen a 3/4" core plug fit any Mopar flathead... :confused:

The Dodge and Plymouth use a 1-3/16" core plug up on the head.

The DeSoto and Chrysler use a 1-3/8" core plug on the head

All the others are 1-5/8" as mentioned. Except the rear cam plug OE is brass and measures 1-3/8"

The bell housing rear 1-5/8" core plugs also were brass and doubled up from the factory .

The front of engine hidden 1-5/8" core plug behind the engine mount plate was brass  as original equipment.

Bob

I also have never seen a 3/4" Welch plug anywhere on the car. If I recall the size correctly 1" plugs are used to seal the king pins on a P-15. Some but not all master cylinders also use a 1" plug.

FrontSuspension.jpg

MC1.jpg

I'm really going to be upset if there are two  sizes of cylinder head core plugs for the 218/230 engines!