Something Fun: "Things that I like about my Truck"

HanksB3B

I like the fact that although slamming my truck door can wake up the whole neighborhood, the door can also be closed more "silently" that a modern truck, if the handle is kept in the open position and then released when the door is in the fully closed position.

I also like that the runningboard is a great place to get organized with keys and whatever else you are carrying.

There's lots more but what are some of your favorite things.

Hank :)

Sitting on the running board of a 1946 Fargo and having a drink. I'm sitting next to the door. Not my truck but wish it was. Tried for years to buy it and the owner, now dead, would not sell. Now it is going to be a part of an estate sale. My guess is it will go for crazy money and end up being hotrodded which is the last thing the owner wanted. If I still manage to get it, I will do the patina thing with it. Have it run well but use it as a parade vehicle looking as it does in the picture. Big difference is I would keep it indoors.

PerfectFargo_zps946ab0af.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

It is unique...and at times, too damn unique.  It seems the shop manual and parts manual kind f forgot about the '53 models, which makes working on it a learning adventure.  Oh, and finding parts has sent me to some interesting places where I got to meet some interesting folks.

Space!!!

There is enough space to just get under it without jacking it up, space in the engine bay to work (no aircons, turbos,  hearters hoses,etc), space under the dash to see what is there (not much actually).

The roof of the van is high enough and wide enough to easily house the doors, bonnets, seats and everything else i have removed.....not taking up room in the workshop.

• Like 1

i like that the engine in mine still ran even when 5 of 6 pistons were cracked (and one of those was in two pieces) and every ring was broken (some of the rings were in 10 to 15 pieces).

i like that it is an uncommon style (pilothouse).

i like that i can work it with some heavy (4 ton +) loads.

I like the idea that someday this MONSTER project will be done and out of my shop :) I'm getting close to being sick of looking at it, but it has lived in the shop since May of last year, only ever rolling 20' back and forth, and as of about December it has been worked on at least 4 days out of every week..,some 6.

I do like that I can go to 75% of the car shows around my area and never see another Dodge, and after this restore...one like it!

Sitting on the running board of a 1946 Fargo and having a drink. I'm sitting next to the door. Not my truck but wish it was. Tried for years to buy it and the owner, now dead, would not sell. Now it is going to be a part of an estate sale. My guess is it will go for crazy money and end up being hotrodded which is the last thing the owner wanted. If I still manage to get it, I will do the patina thing with it. Have it run well but use it as a parade vehicle looking as it does in the picture. Big difference is I would keep it indoors.

PerfectFargo_zps946ab0af.jpg

Good luck I hope you get it too

I like the built in tool and parts troughs, one where the fender and inner fender meet and the other the drip rail under the hoods. :^)

• Like 2

Me too. There are quite a lot of little convenience things like this that you get "used" to having. I really like the area under the seat for spares storage. It is amazing what all you can fit there. I also like the location of the battery.......and the fuel tank. So much nicer than some of the alternatives built at that the time.

I am curious how and why this thread was moved? Seems to me it belongs in the truck forum.

Jeff

It's a "Dodge"!

It was moved due to a few requests that is an OT topic.  It might get moved back.

EDIT:  yah I'm moving it back it does fit the description of being truck related as the sub forums are listed.

Thank you Mark. It is all too easy these days to get persuaded by the negatives. It seems to me that this thread is here to highlight the positives..

We have left out an important one so far......the smile factor. I can't speak for the rest of you....but mine never fails to put a smile on my face.Even when it was just a pile of parts.  And I'd be willing to go out on a limb here and say that there are several others who feel the same way about their trucks.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thank you Mark. It is all too easy these days to get persuaded by the negatives. It seems to me that this thread is here to highlight the positives..

We have left out an important one so far......the smile factor. I can't speak for the rest of you....but mine never fails to put a smile on my face.Even when it was just a pile of parts.  And I'd be willing to go out on a limb here and say that there are several others who feel the same way about their trucks.

Jeff

yah, after re-reading the following it seems appropriate to leave it here.

"All topics discussing mopar trucks from the late 30's to mid 50's including "W", "B" and "C" series. Job Rated, Pilothouse or Forward Look and bone stock or modified this is your forum!"

I like that the truck was designed to be maintained - grease fitting on the clutch pedal; grease fitting for the rear wheel bearings (just a little please).  The P/U box is long and low to the ground so it's much easier to load then my new '14 Ram.  I also like the little 259 V-8 that sounds neat and has really good power.  And I also like the color green.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

You need tires, LOL

• Haha 1

I like that I have a 9 foot bed, 

and one day it will run, 

and needs tires!!

12 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I like the work height on my flatbed 

05C3AAA6-C0E8-4B29-AC2A-42DC9CA484D3.jpeg.b466c4fd70dc29bf36cd16b2107fc2f2.jpeg

I often use it as my mobile work bench ?

Flat beds make great work benches!  I have a small Cushman Truckster with a 6' bed that I use for a mobile work bench.  Sadly there are times my shop is so full of junk the Cushman is the only available work space :)

20200202_112319x.jpg.780374bfd23566ad7c9096e61a4a894e.jpg

20200202_110352x.jpg.ba478bcfb7e4c1e35111404aa0e55b3d.jpg

• Like 2

the 108" wheelbase + steering design makes for a tight turning circle.  I won a bet with a passenger who did not think I could make a U-turn on a side street without wiping out the garbage cans on the curbs...not only did I win the bet, but she was amazed at how the steering wheel snapped back to center after I made the turn, let go of the wheel and hit the gas :cool:  She also commented that the 126"w.b. 1-ton rode way smoother and was a LOT quieter on the highway (even though both had practically the same engine + exhaust) :D 

• Thanks 1

I like the tailgate.can drop it right down out of the way. Or, horizontal its a perfect height to sit on. The whole truck is so enjoyable everybody loves it. Easy to drive, but a challenge in the snow. Discovered that when we were out spreading joy on christmas eve with a lit tree in the box. 

478CB592-55B1-43D9-B405-10E06DBC1D4D.jpeg

• Like 1