52 goes into gear but grinds when you let off clutch

InksterBernal

hey anyone have a piece of advice as to where to start? Ive got a 52 cranbrook 3 speed column shift... I can start in neutral or in any gear with clutch down, shift through gears fine but as soon as I let off clutch it makes a grinding clanking sound... not the same sound as if I was grinding gears, I can feel it and it feels like its right at center underfront seat...Ive never really dealt with tranny issues so im not sure if theres anywhere i should start... the linkage all looks ok and the car was fine until this happened other day... was driven three or four days a week ... any help would be appreciated

Does the noise continue as you drive or just a short time?  A clunk might be a U-joint.  And see if as the car is rolling if the noise goes away if you push the clutch back. Also see if the noise gets louder if you go faster or seems to speed up.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Yeah everything was tight under there.. I haven't driven it since, when you try to let off clutch is when it just does the sound... And you can feel it, so I push the clutch back in and it stops

So the car won't go forward or backwards ?

If so might be a front U-joint issue if noise is right under the seat. A broken trunnion pin ect. Rear end broken gear issue possible too.  Rear axle shaft nut and key damage.......Odd it just happened.

Didn't pop the clutch did you?

These answers assuming the trans does shift fully into each gear.

Thanks guys, I was kind of feeling like it could be front u joint from the feel and sound... Just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. I'll get under it again on my next day off and let you know.....

Don no it's not rubbing and no sound when car is off...

Definitely didn't pop clutch... I'll update after I can get back under it and find out what's going on

You could jack the rear end up. Support it properly, and look under there to see what you can see.

Engine off. In gear. Clutch depressed. I believe that if at that time you rotate the rear wheels you should be able to see the drive line moving including the transmission.

Jacked, properly supporter, and front wheels blocked you can run the engine to attempt to duplicate the problem.

A suggestion for properly supporting for a running vehicle would be the bamsfordsgarage style jack stands.

post-80-0-84456300-1423608707_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-62667400-1423608752_thumb.jpg

Update... Got it in the air today, definitely front u joint I'm hearing... It's toast and the rear looks like it's about there too... Thanks for your help guys, looks like time to call bernbaums

Did one a few months back and it was close to $400.00.... Expensive Seattle.

• 2 months later...

i just went ahead and had one made, Santa Rosa Driveline here in Santa Rosa made us a really nice one with modern style u-joints for just under 300 out the door. We put it in, shes been going strong for a little over a month now with no issues. thanks guys

Edited by InksterBernal
  • Like 1