Just bought myself a '46 D24 4 door Custom

joey4420

Hi again Joey,

Can I ask you to do a favor for all of us; Please document your car as much as possible by taking detail photos (for your own archieve).

Looking at the first photos of your car, there are plenty of small details as they were original by the factory.

In most of our cars the details have been modified due to "restoration", repair or "customizing" over the years.

Every now and then some of us is asking what was the original detail here or there...

Cheers,

Uncle-Pekka

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

I did find a small peice of trim in the trunk in a can of parts that will fit where the cowl mirror is. I also have the four pieces of fender trim to be remounted. But sadly not the trim under the doors.

I did find a small peice of trim in the trunk in a can of parts that will fit where the cowl mirror is. I also have the four pieces of fender trim to be remounted. But sadly not the trim under the doors.

It would probably be possible to locate the rocker trim, but you would need to reach way, way, way down into your pocket. The yard I used to pick had at least one side, but my car was a coupe, and I did not snag the trim.

If you want to search the www for some, the left is # 1151834, right 1151833  1946-48 Dodge

Some can work magic on the used stainless. Removing scratches, dents, and scuffs.

I belive it should be quite easy to find those 4D sedan rocker mouldings in the USA, but they are in poor condition. Most available have dents and scratches due to being driven over rocks and curbs. Nice or even acceptable condition is hard to find and expensive when found...

However, as Shell pointed out above, the stainless material is possible to be mended by skilled tinsmiths... It's amazing what they can do. Stainless does polish to perfect even after material has been removed by file etc. Just takes skill, experience, time and work, work, work...

• 3 weeks later...

Searching for threads on woodgraining, I came across your Dodge.  What a nice old car!

Searching for threads on woodgraining, I came across your Dodge. What a nice old car!

Thanks. Waiting for it to get a wee bit warmer here in Ohio so I can do some cleaning and minor tune up stuff.

Sweet ride Joey. 60mph on the highway! The ole six must have been churning.

At 60 it was running very smooth. I did get up to 65-70 to pass one car that passed me and slowed down to 56-58 in front of me. The way it ran I am sure it would have gone much faster. I just didn't want to push it as I didn't know much of the cars history.

Without an overdrive you're on the verge of blowing up your motor at those rpms at 70 mph.

That would depend on what gear ratio the differential has. With 4.10 gears that may be pushing the envelope, but with 3.90 or 3.73 gears that's well within the engine's capability.

• Like 1