Directional Indicator Light on a 1948 Chrysler Royal

Tom Skinner
Go to solution Solved by Tom Skinner,

Gents,

I have a question which may or may not sound intelligent to be asking. I have had a couple of 1948 Chrysler Royal Sedans that have only one (right Side top of dash) light (directional indicator light). When the Left  Directional (Blinker) is on the one Light will blink, however, when I have the Right Blinker on it does not blink (at the Dash) but does at front and rear directional lights. When the right blinker is on the directional lights at the front and rear of the car blink properly but it does not blink at the dash indicator light. This is how it has been for 42 years with 2 1948 Chrysler Royal Sedans. Now for my question (I have changed out my Directional Switch with no change) is there a fuse in the line burnt or is this just another Chrysler thing that has always been, and shall always be?

I have the wiring diagrahm and as I have said everything is wired up right and everything is blinking correctly outside the car, but no indicator on the dash turning right.

I will look for a fuse or bad ground but this may be a standard Glitch of Chrysler years gone by. What is the general opinion on this out here in the forum?

Thanks for any input.

Tom Skinner

Huntersville, North Carolina

No idea about Chryslers but Dads early 50s plymouths only had 1 indicator. It blinked green for either side. On his the other side was red and was the high beam light.

single lamp for left and right are usually fed off the third post of the flasher itself..when making contact the outside lamps are on and heat the  bi-metal till it springs away.. contact is now connected to that third post and lights the interior lamp..when cooled, the cycle repeats itself..by using this method, only one interior lamp is needed to indicate the turn signal circuit is energized..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• Solution

Great News!

I went to the front directional light (disconnected it) Bulb looked good. I changed the Bulb anyhow 1158, but then I fidgeted with the socket.

I bent the spring was all the way in and no tension so I pulled it apart some to create some spring tension in the socket, and cleaned the connection ends with a brass brush.

re-assembled it and now everything works as it should inside and out. It must have been a crushed spring or dirty connection in the front right directional socket.

I have found with these 6 Volt systems these Cars can be very finicky if they are not grounded just right at the body or sockets aren't positioned just right etc.

So if anyone else has this problem out there, this is a possible cure. Hell after all these years of driving this way I won't know how to act with all my lights working LOL.

I think you might need to find a directional signal switch that is not made in China.  I replaced mine with a HO Tridon ($45 Cdn).

So my light now flashes on the inside.  No sound though but far better than nothing. :)

I understand that some of the flashers for older 6 volt VWs work well.

Edited by Old School

This is a turn signal indicator/ high beam indicator light unit from a Chrysler or Desoto, or whoever used that item.

An arrow indicating direction of turns.  3 bulbs behind the dash to illuminate things.  Just posting as background info.

turn-lights.jpg

I am currently using a vintage 50s style aftermarket turn signal unit with a rubber cancel wheel that rubs against the back side of the

steering wheel center.  It resembles this one, but is in better condition.  It has a pilot light like this one to let you know it's working;

For a while I used one of those cheap flashers that sells for about $20.......but the works on the inside finally bent because they were made so

light weight.........(in China of course). 

$_57.JPG

Dealer option flasher from a junk yard, for my 47 DeSoto:  (I added the non-standard hazard flasher switch; I may remove it someday) 

post-126-0-15602100-1423140507_thumb.jpgpost-126-0-95815000-1423140531_thumb.jpg

The steering wheel has two lugs on the back, to cancel the turns:

post-126-0-50376600-1423140589_thumb.jpg

The speedometer dial cluster has left and right turn indicators:  (There is a single high beam indicator on the top of the dashboard) 

post-126-0-42907900-1423140698_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonaldSmith

I'm using a flasher from a Trabant that works great except I can't hear it. So I picked up this little mini-buzzer at a closing Radio Shack for a couple bucks. It works on 4 to 8 volts, Measures about 1"x3/4"x1/2" and is wired into the pilot light because the light is directly behind a steering wheel spoke where I can't see it.  Radio shack catalog number 273-0793.