Starter issue

Darbone85737

Car is a 1949 P18. I just had the engine rebuilt and it's back in the car.  I installed the starter motor and when I put power to it the motor spins but the gear did not engage the flywheel.  Took it to a local rebuilder ( 2 times) and it came back with the same issue.

Starter gear will not engage the flywheel.

Took it to another rebuilder and  this time the bendix drive and gear seem to extend into the housing so far that the gear engages the flywheel when the motor is bolted up. It seems to jam against the flywheel and will not turn when power is applied. The shop that rebuilt it tells me the gear is supposed to be engaged with the flywheel when the engine is not running and when the starter is powered the bendix will withdraw the gear when the engine starts and the RPM rise. This doesn't make any sense to me and I'm thinking they may have used the wrong Bendix assembly.

Can someone explain to me how the starter motor is sipposed to work in this car? 

Thanks again for all the assistance.

What casper50 shared is what I've learned, too.

There's a thread titled "How Do I KNow if I Fried My Starter"  which was helpful to me with some starter related questions as well as some other things to look at which might be helpful to you.

Great that you have a rebuilt engine in your '49 and hope you get it all sorted so that you're on the road soon. Let us know how it goes.

Tony

do a search here or online, this has been discussed here before...ALLPAR site has a reference also so you may look there..here is just one thread ..there are others...I did not write any of this stuff down...so cannot answer without me doing research for you...

http://p15-d24.com/topic/25355-help-230-turns-by-hand-but-not-with-starter/?hl=%2Bflywheel+%2Btooth+%2Bcount#entry250826

http://p15-d24.com/topic/20236-will-a-modern-starter-fit-my-230/?hl=%2Bstarter+%2Bpinion#entry195443

there are plenty of article to read on this forum...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

So the starter issue has been resolved.  Took the thing back to the shop that rebuilt it.   The bendix drive was stuck in the extended position and I could not get it to retract.  The bendix they replaced the old one with looked nothing like the original but I was told it was an updated improvement of the sprag type part. 

Got a call a day later and they took it apart, tested it and it tested OK.  They measured the drive gear against the one it  originally had and they were the same.  They asked questions about the state of battery charge and questioned my installation.  They agreed to get the bendix back to the retracted position as they felt it the starter gear may not have been in the correct position on the ring gear with it extended

Went to pick it up and it turns out they replaced the new bendix with a one that was the same style as what it had originally. The drive gear was able to be moved on the shaft freely.  Took it home, bolted it up and it works great with no issues. Took the plugs out and cranked the motor to make sure the oil pump was primed and working. All looks good and I'll hopefully get to fire the new engine this weekend

Just glad to have this over with.  Now to start putting this car back together

• Like 1