50 Desoto-realistic highway speed

50desotocoupe

The chrysler has a bigger engine.

After doing some research on this topic, I found by checking the Parts Manuals that the 3.73 rear end was standard on DeSoto and Chrysler Windsor and Royal with M-5 transmissions, and the 3.54 was "special equipment" on DeSoto, and Chrysler six.  Perhaps the special rear end was for drivers in the flat states like Kansas? 

Hmmm...  I'm confused....not sure as to where I got all the wrong chrysler specs :confused:

I'm sorry about that.

Bob

2/1/15 Update on factory Windsor rear axle ratio with FD/M5 trans...3.54 to 1... Normal rear end ratio to find in Royal and Windsor cars with the extremely common M-5 transmissions.

Factory 3 speed 1946-8 chryslers are well rare to say the least.

post-302-0-33932900-1422841524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I used to work on a 1942 S10 convert. It used the 3.54 ratio with the simplimatic.

I don't think the S11's used a 3.54 at all .. even as an optional ratio. I've never seen one.

That doesn't mean I'm right though.

post-302-0-01559000-1422841460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took the old girl on the highway again this weekend for a couple of miles.  I did between 65 and 70 for a few miles.  She did just fine.  I think my 6 blade "truck" fan is making so much noise that it seems like the engine is working harder than it really is.  Boy does that sucker suck a lot of air.  It will be good in the summer during the hot temps.  It smoked like a pig on decal though....so either miles will help it or I am looking at a rebuild at some point.  Is it possible to clean out the crankcase ventilation system on these? 

When I first got my P-15 up and running, it hadn't been run in about 2 years, I added about a pint or so of Seafoam to the crankcase and the rest in the gas tank. After about 300-400 miles I changed the oil. The Seafoam cleaned out the oil system really good and even after 600 miles the oil still looks fresh. The car is running like a champ and no smoke at all.

Joe

• Like 1

. . . I think my 6 blade "truck" fan is making so much noise that it seems like the engine is working harder than it really is. . . .  It smoked like a pig on decal though. . .  Is it possible to clean out the crankcase ventilation system on these? 

If the cooling system is in shape you should not need a 6 bladed fan. Probably only need/want that if you are doing a lot of idling in the desert in summer.

Sure looks like some spell checkers love to change "decel" to "decal". :)

One or two (depending on year, make, etc.) wire mesh air filters on the crankcase ventilation: One in the oil filler cap, the second one possibly in the road draft tube on the rear of the engine under the exhaust manifold. Take them off, wash in kerosene and re-oil with heavy oil. Road draft tube needs to extend down into the air flow under the car to work properly.

• Like 1

Hmmm...  I'm confused....not sure as to where I got all the wrong chrysler specs :confused:

I'm sorry about that.

Bob

2/1/15 Update on factory Windsor rear axle ratio with FD/M5 trans...3.54 to 1... Normal rear end ratio to find in Royal and Windsor cars with the extremely common M-5 transmissions.

Factory 3 speed 1946-8 chryslers are well rare to say the least.

Thanks for citing your sources.  I noticed that your source for the Chrysler was a Data Book.  I know Data Books were written for salesmen and were printed very early, maybe even before the Chryslers were made.  I wonder if its accurate, since both Chrysler 6 and DeSoto both used the 3.54 differentials in 41-42?  What does the Chrysler Parts Manual say?  They are more accurate as they were printed after the actual cars were made.  I noticed your 46-48 DeSoto shop manual doesn't list the 3.54 ratio for the DeSoto.  My DeSoto shop manual, printing in 2/1950, lists both 3.73 and 3.54 for the S-11 DeSotos.  My DeSoto Parts manual, printed in 1949 lists the 3.73 ratio as standard and the 3.54 as special for the S-11s. 

• Like 1

I've done enough home work on this axle ratio issue and cannot do any more.

You better go with what you've got.

I've lost interest as I cannot go forward on it anymore.

Bob

• Like 1

Smoking on deceleration is a symptom of worn valve guides in most cases. When I pulled down the engine in my car, I piled the valve covers. I found a gelatinous lead carbon pudding all in the bottom of the valve galleries. The stuff was so thick it had plugged many of the oil return drains in the bottom, those that weren't blocked were reduced in size. So the oil flooded the area probably pretty much full when running. Upon deceleration, the high vacuum would pull the oil through the valve guides and smoke screen my location pretty effectively. Rotor routing these areas pretty much alleviated the problem. Remember you are going to be messing with a highly toxic goo here. Proper protection to skin exposure is advised.

Edited by greg g

Thanks for citing your sources.  I noticed that your source for the Chrysler was a Data Book.  I know Data Books were written for salesmen and were printed very early, maybe even before the Chryslers were made.  I wonder if its accurate, since both Chrysler 6 and DeSoto both used the 3.54 differentials in 41-42?  What does the Chrysler Parts Manual say?  They are more accurate as they were printed after the actual cars were made.  I noticed your 46-48 DeSoto shop manual doesn't list the 3.54 ratio for the DeSoto.  My DeSoto shop manual, printing in 2/1950, lists both 3.73 and 3.54 for the S-11 DeSotos.  My DeSoto Parts manual, printed in 1949 lists the 3.73 ratio as standard and the 3.54 as special for the S-11s. 

I found your thread here very interesting  / helpful and put the data to good use.  I contacted French Lake Auto in MN an told them I was looking for a 3.73 or 3.54 ratio for my 1952 B-3-B Pilothouse.  I mentioned, from my reading here that Chrysler Windsors may have what I am looking for.  They checked their inverntory and had a 1948 6cyl Manual Chrysler Windsor 4 door Vin# 70789427 with a 10 spine 3.73 ratio in it.

It will be sitting on my doorstep when I get home tonight.

. . . They checked their inverntory and had a 1948 6cyl Manual Chrysler Windsor 4 door Vin# 70789427 . . .

That serial number would be for a 1949 C45-2 Chrysler Windsor 6 cylinder, not a 1948 if my look up is correct. I guess it won't matter as long as the part(s) off of it will work for you.

My 1947 Desoto Suburban currently has a 3.9 in it.  I also have, and drove it for years with the 4.11.  With these gears I have had the car as high as 75-80 on the freeway.  Usually, I have a hard limit of 70.  With overdrive the engine noise and fuel use is less, but the engine could care less either way.

One big thing is wind.  If the wind is blowing, I have to keep it around 60 MPH.  The car, even at 4500 pounds, moves around in a good wind and anything over 60-65 makes driving work.

On the gear things.  I have a friend with a '46 Chrysler T&C Convertible that was originally supposed to go to a diplomat to China.  Mao won and he was stuck in the USA and the car was never shipped. It was an "export" car and has a 3.36 rear end from the factory.  Lucky SOB!

After checking all the reference books and several owners, it seems to be true that the Chrysler 6 cars did indeed keep their 3.54 rear ends through 1948, while the 46-48 DeSotos changed from the 3.54 ratio on the 41-42 models to the 3.73 ratios on the 46-48 cars.  Then, in 1949, the Chrysler 6 cars copied the DeSoto and went with the 3.73 rear ends too.  Makes you wonder why Chrysler would go with the 3.73 rear end if the 3.54 is as great as some say. 

On the gear things.  I have a friend with a '46 Chrysler T&C Convertible that was originally supposed to go to a diplomat to China.  Mao won and he was stuck in the USA and the car was never shipped. It was an "export" car and has a 3.36 rear end from the factory.  Lucky SOB!

Both my NewYorker 3 passenger cpe and T&C convertible have the 3.36 rear end as was standard on all eight cylinder chrysler cars except the Imperial limo.

And yes you can go very fast in these big old chryslers!

. . .  Makes you wonder why Chrysler would go with the 3.73 rear end if the 3.54 is as great as some say. 

In 1933 the standard models had a 4.11 rear end while the deluxe had a 4.375. Same engine, deluxe models perhaps slightly heavier. By gearing the deluxe lower they probably got more acceleration off the line which would sell. Top end probably wasn't a huge concern as either could well exceed the maximum speed limit of the day.

Back in the late 1950s and into at least the mid-1960s swapping out the stock 3.whatever rear end for a 4.11 was a pretty common thing to do to get a better 0 to 60 time. Slightly amusing to me that the reverse swap is not the "in thing".

After doing some research on this topic, I found by checking the Parts Manuals that the 3.73 rear end was standard on DeSoto and Chrysler Windsor and Royal with M-5 transmissions, and the 3.54 was "special equipment" on DeSoto, and Chrysler six.  Perhaps the special rear end was for drivers in the flat states like Kansas? 

When I lived in Kansas, I often saw pretty girls wearing t-shirts and buttons that said, "Everything in Kansas isn't flat!"  :eek:

• Like 4