SUCESSFUL REAR AXLE SWAPS.

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

For those that did the Cherokee rear end swap, what did you do for the rear rubber brake hose?  Did you hookup the parking brake cables?  Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, lucky13 said:

For those that did the Cherokee rear end swap, what did you do for the rear rubber brake hose?  Did you hookup the parking brake cables?  Thanks in advance

I'm staying with the parking brake on the transmission and I'll check and see if I can figure out what brake hose was used.  I had my swap done,  I wanted it done long before I started this thread 5 years ago.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

On 1/29/2015 at 6:35 PM, 48ply1stcar said:

I see on The Ranger Station, link from Smokybear that their is mention of a 2 inch offset.   Does it in anyway affect the drive shaft tunnel, or is that something that is a nominal amount.

With progress getting slower and slower I'm allready a year behind just on getting the engine runnig with a front seat back in the car.

Anyone in favor of the Cherokee rear axle?

That "offset" is what turns me off in regards to the 8.8 conversion.  It looks weird from the rear of the car.  I know it works...  But...

2 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

That "offset" is what turns me off in regards to the 8.8 conversion.  It looks weird from the rear of the car.  I know it works...  But...

The offset really isn't an issue.  If your running a low HP engine the Cherokee axle will be fine, if you're going to put any power down the 8.8 would be a better option.  Most V8 transplants require an offset to the right anyhow.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 11:15 AM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

The offset really isn't an issue.  If your running a low HP engine the Cherokee axle will be fine, if you're going to put any power down the 8.8 would be a better option.  Most V8 transplants require an offset to the right anyhow.

If I  make changes, it will be to a 8 3/4".  It's my favorite axle set up.

1937. Dodge d5 4 door sedan

71 chevy Malibu 12 bolt w 225 75r15 tires. 

Wheels 15x6.  3.75 back space 

37 dodge rear springs 

Just weld the dodge perches on the chev axle

Good fit, fills the wells, good clearance with the tires

Edited by Sharps40

• 4 months later...

Hey y'all,

I'm searching for rear Wheel Mounting surface dimension for 1950 Chrysler Windsor. Doing the axle swap this winter and 

am planning on a ford 9", even if it's overkill with the 340. Heading out to Carlisle tomorrow to see if I can find something close to what I need. I just measured 55 3/4" for backing plate to backing plate dimension. 

Is a change in width necessary if I choose to do disc brakes? 

Advice is appreciated, thanks.

Discs tend to widen the track somewhat, how much pretty much depends on the thickness of the rotors you use.

What you really need is the axle flange to axle flange measurement, you can subtract for rotor thickness (times 2 as there are 2 rotors).  Don't forget leaf spring perch center to center measurements.  I know that can be dealt with but it's sure sweet when you can find an axle that'll just work as is.

Other than  that, sorry I can't help.

Thanks Sniper.

I still need Wheel Mounting surface dimension for stock ‘50 Chrysler Windsor with stock wheels.

Local hot rodder/body shop owner told me all I needed was flange dimension and spring center to center, but after reading up want to arm myself with WMS dimension. 

Not near my car, and I do feel stupid for not measuring this prior, so I’m kicking this up top again for somebody to notice.

344186F9-5E9D-4DAF-944D-98676BD85FCB.jpeg

The 9" is the king of the hill, pretty popular and custom axles and gear sets are available.

Same time it seems the Ford explorer 8.8 is a very common swap, width fits well without modification, is very strong, it has a zillion different gear choices, your choice to have disk or drum brakes, bolt pattern is correct.

Plenty of them at your local wrecking yard .... I had a explorer with the V6, that thing had some decent horse power.

I followed a forum thread where a teacher built a explorer for 1/4 mile racing as a class project. V8 turbo charger etc ... He got to the point he was stretching head bolts and burn a quart of coolant on a pass, he fixed that and tore up the transmission then fixed that and went with a bigger turbo next ... never had a rear end issue with it.

I do not know the exact width of either one the Chrysler or the explorer, seems they are within 1"-2" inches of each other.

You do have a little bit of room to fudge with.

Going with the 9" You will want to measure what you have, maybe you can ask someone near the car to measure for you?

I know a 51 plymouth is 2" narrower then my 49 dodge truck, your Chrysler may be the same width as either one ... will need someone with same car and wheels off to get what you need.

Got a buddy to go pop the wheels off and measure. He told me WMS is 60 7/8”. So figured I’d post it for anybody needing that info. 

Thanks for advice Adam and Los Control. 

I’m doing a 9” because it leaves me an option for a bigger engine in the future. 

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Mr Stewart said:

So what about factory track bar? Do you guys still use it? And on the 8.8 explorer swap I have the factory say bar and the factory traction bars... did anybody use these? I think I have room right now..

I use a straight-up axle swap with the Cherokee Dana 35, see solution.

I know that this was solved, but thought I my link some info on the Ford Explorer/ranger rear info and recently found while looking to update my 50 Suburban rear end (my old project car with a Chevy rear now) wrong ratio and is very loose.

The Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Axle Swap .

Will also spend some more time soon on looking for the Jeep various rearend soon as may post if good info.

Pls , no hate mails!  ?

DJ

• Like 1

Ive been up down all around with the axle swap thing  For me makes more sense to have something made new for the same price of a junkyard axle swap.  (what are you getting? its in a junkyard ) Those of you that can bolt up a cherokee rear axle , fine. You guys with the nice garages and shops . great.  I hate you

Edited by Booger
spel
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:06 PM, Booger said:

Ive been up down all around with the axle swap thing  For me makes more sense to have something made new for the same price of a junkyard axle swap.  (what are you getting? its in a junkyard ) Those of you that can bolt up a cherokee rear axle , fine. You guys with the nice garages and shops . great.  I hate you

As you can see, I had mine done in Anoka.  I'm too old to try this in a garage, or on my own.  AA Driveline used to have a video of making a replacement driveshaft for a old Valiant.  That's why I went to them.