SUCESSFUL REAR AXLE SWAPS.

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

Yes!! One of the reasons I went with this rear end. Same stud pattern and don't have to use the reverse bolts on the one side!! Stock rims fit right on.

Thanks, saw that post earlier about the guy who said his wheels didn't clear the calipers. I'm working on a 52 dodge which Im sure probably uses the same wheels as your 50 plymouth, so I should be ok. Thinking I need to do this swap soon. Cant get 1 of my drums off, broke 1 stud and stripped the threads on another so I'm kinda screwed

Thanks, saw that post earlier about the guy who said his wheels didn't clear the calipers. I'm working on a 52 dodge which Im sure probably uses the same wheels as your 50 plymouth, so I should be ok. Thinking I need to do this swap soon. Cant get 1 of my drums off, broke 1 stud and stripped the threads on another so I'm kinda screwed

Yup, same here. I tried everything posted here and could never get the rear drums off. Then the prospect of messing with trying to maint. the old style drum brakes sounded more trouble that it would be worth to me, unless you are trying to keep original. I like the newer rear end with disc brakes and will work fine for a future v-8 swap.

98' Ford Explorer rear end in a 50' Ply Bus Coupe. Had to fab up rear shock mounts using the Explorer shock mounts but other than that, pretty easy.

Do you know the wheel mounting face to face dimension? What axle ratio & wheel/tire size are you using?

Do you know the wheel mounting face to face dimension? What axle ratio & wheel/tire size are you using?

The explorer 8.8 is 59.5 inches from WMS - WMS. 

From what I have found, gear ratio options go as high as 3.08 (found in 2wd) and as low as 4.10 (found in Eddie Bauer 4x4) with 3.27, 3.55, and 3.73 available in between.

I have another question for those that have done a disc brake rear, are you still running the stock master cylinder without any issues? I can get these from my local yard for $90 so I'm seriously considering picking one up soon.

Thanks

I do not think you are looking at the perches...look at the underside of the tube near the brake backing plates for the perches

Whoops, you are correct. What are those other mounts for then?

The explorer 8.8 is 59.5 inches from WMS - WMS. 

From what I have found, gear ratio options go as high as 3.08 (found in 2wd) and as low as 4.10 (found in Eddie Bauer 4x4) with 3.27, 3.55, and 3.73 available in between.

I have another question for those that have done a disc brake rear, are you still running the stock master cylinder without any issues? I can get these from my local yard for $90 so I'm seriously considering picking one up soon.

Thanks

Since I also did a front disc conversion (Scarebird kit) I am using an Explorer mc for front and back disc brakes. There are lots of options for an MC. Just make sure you have one that works with your disc and/or drum combo. I currently am not using a power booster just for simplicity sake but may go to one in the future. Honestly I haven't done a lot of road driving with this car yet as I have lots to do before I can take it on open road, ie lights, wiring, etc.

Edited by 50 coupe

• 10 months later...

Will a rear end from a 1999 Ford Explorer fit a 1946 Plymouth without rubbing seeing it is 1 7/16 inch wider than the 1998 ?  Want to be sure before I start this.  I read here its OK with a 1950 model.

OK, thanks Wayfarer.  Thats what I finally determined.  I had the owner measure the tire centerlines too.  Dont know where I got the wider dimensions.  Bought a 1999 Explorer Sunday to be delivered in a week or two for a total of $300.  Dont think thats too bad.  Dont know the ratio but its out of a 4X4 with auto trns so that should be ok..  I read here somewhere the parking brake cable will work on a 46 Ply too.  Hope so..  This site and the posters are just great...

• 5 months later...
On 2/29/2016 at 10:00 AM, 50 coupe said:

Yes!! One of the reasons I went with this rear end. Same stud pattern and don't have to use the reverse bolts on the one side!! Stock rims fit right on.

Sorry to comment on an older post but was curious about what fab work was needed to do the rear end swap... I'm assuming the perches will need to be moved and what about driveshaft and rear yoke? I have a ranger rear end and did a couple measurements and the drive shaft seems to be a direct bolt up...

4 minutes ago, 52cranbrook4 said:

Sorry to comment on an older post but was curious about what fab work was needed to do the rear end swap... I'm assuming the perches will need to be moved and what about driveshaft and rear yoke? I have a ranger rear end and did a couple measurements and the drive shaft seems to be a direct bolt up...

Why are you sorry to comment on an older post? You can learn more from older posts than you can from many new postings.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Why are you sorry to comment on an older post? You can learn more from older posts than you can from many new postings.

Thank you Don, I am not sure if these members are still around or active or have reached their quota of answering the same questions lol... you guys have all been really informative for me and I have actually learned quite a bit. Thank you again...

• Like 2

I used a 1999 Explorer with disc brakes on my 1946 Plymouth.   Posi-traction with 3.72 ratio.  Went well and by using the Explorer shock mount plates and reversing them the Plymouth shocks bolted right up...  Had to buy new spring perches and left the old ones on to bolt the brake hose fittings to.  Im using original 15 inch wheels so bought 1/4 inch wheel spacers to clear the calipers.  Distance between tire and fender is just right.  Hooked up a parking brake but its not working well.  Have to re-figure that out.

• Like 1