2015 Summer event Planning

greg g

Hey Scott - did you book your room yet?  

FYI I was able to request a first floor room to be able to go in and out to the car with a few less stairs to climb. Front desk was very accommodating with that request.

Looking forward to August!

Mark

Thanks for the heads up on that.  We'll book a room in the next few days. 

Happen to get an email address? 

Met a couple of fellows at the MOPAR show today who expressed interest in our Tour. One owns a 40 Plym 2 door sedan, and the other a 54 two door sedan.  He got it from a fellow in the Poughkeepsie NY area and he was told that FDR's Chauffeur was the original owner of the car.  I told him to come on down and maybe do some research at the FDR Library.  

• 2 weeks later...

short  notice,,, if  any one  is  near by there is a national  chrysler products  owner club meet in  lahaska pa,,new  new hope or  washingtons crossing pa  if  any  one  has  ever heard of those places,,,  there is a 25 dollar  charge  to  show your  vehilce,,im guessing thats the  price to  join there club,,,never been to it my self,,and im  near by,,,usually not  my  weekend  off,,,just  passing it along,, i may  show up,,,lots of  other  events  same  day

Starting to put the itinerary and schedule together for the August tour.  This will not be a follow the leader enterprise.  Rather you will be given addresses and way points, and times to be at our attractions and locations.  So make sure you bring your GPS and Back up power source.  We will try to have a sweep vehicle that will be tail end Charlie to assist with problems along the route but rather than try to parade through congested areas and through back road drives, this should work out for everyone.  Cell phones and AAA cards strongly recommended.  I will have a tentative Friday agenda and timing up as of this afternoon.  Roads will vary from State Highways to 2 lane mountain byways and in town streets so be prepared.  This will not be a herding of the cats event you are all responsible adults hopefully capable of finding your way to prominent locations.  Traveling is pairs might be a recommended practice.

Thursday and Friday activities

For those arriving Thursday there is a car cruise in at Lakeside Licks Ice cream place just west of the Hotel starts at 5:00PM

Friday August 21  P15 D24 Hudson Valley Tour.  Highland, Kingston, NewPaltz, and Woodstock, NY Where and When

Breakfast on your own

Depart Super 8 at 9: 10- 9:30 (3423 Us Highway 9w, Highland, NY 12528
(845) 691-6888)

9:45 Arrive Highland, NY end of WALKWAY OVER THE HUDSON.
87Haviland Rd. Highland, NY (www.walkway.org)  

This restoration of a former railroad trestle crosses the Hudson River at 212 feet above the river surface.
It has been transformed into the longest pedestrian bridge (2.5 miles) crosses to Poughkeepsie, NY.  No time to walk the whole length and back but plenty of time to enjoy the views and get some pictures.

Depart no later than 10:30

11:10 AM  Arrive at Hudson River Maritime Museum (www,hrmm.org)

50 Roundout Landing Kingston, NY  Tour the Maritime museum, adjacent Trolley Museum or surrounding shops and businesses in an historic part of the city on the Roundout Creek.  Pete Seeger's sloop Clearwater is currently moored there along with the Hudson tugboat Mathilda

This area once served as a transfer point for coal which came up the Delaware and Hudson Canal and was then trans-shipped to NYC via the Hudson river.  Down the street are 2 or three remaining hulls from Higgins built PT boats from WWII.
Depart 12:30

1:00 PM Arrive New Paltz Methodist Church 1 Grove St. New Paltz, NY for lunch.  $10.00 per person paid at the church.  
Parking on street or in closed Pizza place kitty corner from the Church.  Lunch will be sandwich fixins, salads
Ice Tea and Lemonade and desert.  

Depart by 1:40

1:45 PM  Arrive Hugeunot Historic area, 81 Hugeunot St. New Paltz, NY ( www.hugeunotst.org) tour historic area and buildings. Self Guided  

depart 2:30

3:30-3:45  Arrive  Woodstock, NY.  Travel via Olivebridge, NY to include road crossing of Ashokan Reservoir.  You may take some time here if you wish.  The reservoir is part of the NYC public water supply system.  The damming of the waters covered several
small villages.  When you arrive in Woodstock, park on street or in public parking and avial your self of the shops and sights and sounds of this village that lent its name but not location to the 1969 Music Festival.

Depart by 5:00 via routing of your choice, to return to the Hotel. (3423 Us Highway 9w, Highland, NY 12528
(845) 691-6888)

Optional there is a car cruise in at the MC Donalds located in a shopping center about 2.5 miles south of the hotel on route 9W.  On the left as you are headed south

Hotel Tailgate party and trunk swap meet 6:45 till the skeeters get us in the Parking lot of the Super 8.  BYOB and snacks.  

Dinner on your own.

The rest of the story for Saturday and Sunday

Saturday

Breakfast on your own.

Depart Hotel at 9:45  drive to FDR Historic site museum and Presidential Library.  (4097 Albany Post Rd, Hyde Park, NY) 10 miles, allow 20 minutes with traffic.  Toll Bridge involved.  
Arrive 10:15/10:30 Take the house tour or visit the Library/ Muuseum   Allow 1.5 hours  Depart 11:45/Noon.

noon/12:15  Arrive Eveready Dinner Hyde Park,  .5 miles north on Albany Post Rd. take left at FDR exit.  There are other restaurants in the area if you so choose.   leave 1:00PM 
You may also choose to proceed to the Vanderbilt estate and have a picnic lunch on the grounds of the site.  Large shaded lawns overlooking the Hudson 
River are available without admission charge if you wish to take advantage of that. 

allow 10 minutes drive time to Vanderbilt Mansion Historic site. about 2 miles north onthePost Road entrance on left through the large gates.  Tour the site of stroll the grounds and gardens. allow 1.5 hours.  

Dinner will be at the Hyde Park Brewery on the Post Rd. between FDR and Vanderbilt sites.  arrive at 5:00PM  This will allow you some time to look around the Hyde Park area.  
There are a couple vinyards about 6 to 8 miles away.  there are some shops and galleries in Hyde Park.  

If you want you can stay in Hyde Park after dinner and take in a Double feature at the Drive Inn just up the street from the restaurant.  

or return to the Hotel for time on your own.

Sunday

Depart Hotel at 10:00AM travel to the Rhinebeck Aerodrome  (http://www.oldrhinebeck.org) 24 miles, toll bridge, allow 35 to 40 minutes driving time. No trailer parking on site  

10:45 AM arrive Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.  tour field and museum, take a flight if you have that on your bucket list.  This venue concludes our activities for the tour.  You will depart for home for here or return to the hotel to
To load up and depart.  
  • Like 1

I got a call this AM from the folks at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, the folks were responding to an email I sent on Saturday reminding them of our intention to bring a group there.  We will be visiting there on our P14 D24 Hudson River Valley tour on August 23. She reminded me that there are biplane rides available for $75.00 from the AM till just before their air show starts at 2:00PM.  Rides are first come first served so those of you attending that went to take a flight might want to set your alarms for early morning and trek on over and get your name on the list.  the price seems reasonable the scenery from above will be great.  The plane is a 1929 New Standard D25 Biplane.  Built for mail hauling crop dusting and barnstorming carries 3 passenger plus the pilot.

https://upload.wikim...-25_(N9119).jpg

Created and attached a printable itinerary for those that want to have a copy for the road. 

We are going to do our best to stick with the times shown on the schedule, so if you arrive late or live local and want to join in the fun you'll be able to catch us en-route. I will bring a few copies for everyone that forgets to print and put one in their car. Friday night we will poll the group and see if there is interest in a potential rhinebeck time/date swap with a visit to the Vanderbuilt Mansion on Saturday.

Mopar tour itinerary 2015.08.20.pdf

Hey Mark, I hate to be cheesy but do you have any access to some of those stick on name tags.  I don't like them but they might be handy on day one and two.  Do you think we need to bring a laptop and printer???

Mark and Greg, Just a side note. Near the Maritime museum in Kingston there is also a trolley museum and a tour ship there that gives tours on the Hudson River. I don't know the price but I can find out if you're interested. I think the tours are 2 hrs long.  

• Like 1

Hey Mark, I hate to be cheesy but do you have any access to some of those stick on name tags.  I don't like them but they might be handy on day one and two.  Do you think we need to bring a laptop and printer???

I've got a laptop - happy to bring. Not sure if we need a printer.  Also have my Ipad on 3G, so we can quickly pull reference stuff if needed.  I don't have any of those stickers at work, but can easily put something together. We can do the masking tape & marker thing worst case.

Mark and Greg, Just a side note. Near the Maritime museum in Kingston there is also a trolley museum and a tour ship there that gives tours on the Hudson River. I don't know the price but I can find out if you're interested. I think the tours are 2 hrs long.  

Rich - options are always a good thing.  We can discuss on Friday at the tailgate and see what the consensus is.  I don't think Greg or I are married to the route, its just a suggestion at this point to keep us on the move.

• 2 weeks later...

We are having a very good time with some great cars, people scenery and conversations.  As a matter of fact I believe we have a plan that will save the world, but nobody will listen to us...................

Pictures later.  We are having too good a time to hag out onside on the computer webs.

• Like 2

Had a great weekend with a bunch of fantastic people. An attendee who had come from the Syracuse area in their modern car actually told her husband at the end of the trip "I hope you buy a Plymouth or Dodge so that we can do this again next year." Visiting the mansions of FDR and Vanderbilts was the highlight of Saturday, Friday had was ripping up the streets on the west side of the Hudson river, and on Thursday my car decided to give at least three participants a challenge just before sunset. I want to thank everybody that attended encourage all of you lurkers to get ready for next year. Greg and I are going to do it again, but this time we got a couple more hands that are willing to help out. Date time and place to be announced soon.

Downtown Kingston (Rich, Chet, Myself, and Greg)

post-3941-0-55595000-1440381538_thumb.jpg

FDR's ranch

post-3941-0-66648900-1440381584_thumb.jpg

The Vanderbilt cottage

post-3941-0-29942300-1440381632_thumb.jpg

Historic Hugonot neighborhood in New Paltz

post-3941-0-17863500-1440381694_thumb.jpg

Four out of five cars that made the trip. (Chet, Scott, myself, Greg)

post-3941-0-64270100-1440381725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark D
  • Like 1

We had a great time and you maybe not so much.   Possible location for next year the Berkshire area of MA and south western VT.  Piece of Pie from Alice's Restaurant perhaps?   

See at the end Chet still looks glad he came.   Thanks to all for making it a grand long weekend.  

Edited by greg g

We had a great time and you maybe not so much.   Possible location for next year the Berkshire area of MA and south western VT.  Piece of Pie from Alice's Restaurant perhaps?   

And Chet looks happy even at the bitter end of the event. (last pic)

post-17-0-33899300-1440429605_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-65996500-1440429626_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-71390500-1440429647_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-96909800-1440429683_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-45910200-1440429709_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-83597200-1440429728_thumb.jpg

Edited by greg g

Hay Greg & Mark,

Thanks for the great time, Any pictures I could add would pale in comparison to the pictures posted.   Greg the picture you took of me under the car truly caught the spirit of the trip for Melissa & me.  There was nothing that wasn't fun.

Don, You are right about the retirement part.  We are just getting started.  Maybe next time we can get you & the wife to cruise on by.

Chet...

• Like 3