49 Dodge Special Deluxe ignition switch

bmw2002e3

Hi Everyone, Happy new year. 

With the ongoing full re-wire of my 1949 Canadian dodge Special deluxe, I came across a weird challenge.

The ignition switch has an armoured conduit on the wire that goes to the coil. The little bit I was able to find out about this 

is that this was an anti-theft thing. Of course the wire is frayed and I'd like to replace it.

I can't seem to remove the conduit, does anyone know if it is removable? If not, I'll likely just replace the switch, it is original after all.

Images attached.

post-5325-0-77449600-1420475686_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-53233000-1420475698_thumb.jpg

If you are not concerned with retaining the "anti theft" aspect, it would be short work for a dremel cutting wheel.  Just be careful to allow yourself enough of a stub to retain wires to splice new wires onto.  I would make a cut 6 or 8 inches from the switch, where if you nick the wires you can manually unwrap back a little to give you self enough of the old wire to splice back to.  This assumes the original wires are in decent condition under the armor back near the switch assembly.

If you are not concerned with retaining the "anti theft" aspect, it would be short work for a dremel cutting wheel.  Just be careful to allow yourself enough of a stub to retain wires to splice new wires onto.  I would make a cut 6 or 8 inches from the switch, where if you nick the wires you can manually unwrap back a little to give you self enough of the old wire to splice back to.  This assumes the original wires are in decent condition under the armor back near the switch assembly.

Not at all, it makes the switch hard to install. I think that's a decent solutino, Didn't think of it! :) Will give that a try.

I have the same on my Canadian '51 Dodge business coupe. The wire eventually runs to some relay under the hood, I forget which off hand. I know they used the same type switch in '52 without the armour cable and just connected it to the ammeter I believe. Greg's is a good suggestion and I will be doing the same to my switch which I want to keep as I paid good money to get keys cut to fit it. Switch works the same as on my '53, turn the key to start the engine with no button to push like in the P15 or D25.

I have the same on my Canadian '51 Dodge business coupe. The wire eventually runs to some relay under the hood, I forget which off hand. I know they used the same type switch in '52 without the armour cable and just connected it to the ammeter I believe. Greg's is a good suggestion and I will be doing the same to my switch which I want to keep as I paid good money to get keys cut to fit it. Switch works the same as on my '53, turn the key to start the engine with no button to push like in the P15 or D25.

Yeah, It looks like the switch is nearly the same on the later cars. FYI, the key tumbler comes out very easily when you have the keys and the ignition switch in hand. There's a little nib you press to release it.

You're in Lethbridge? I lived in Calgary, that's where my car came from. It lived from 1949-2013 in Calgary.

Yes, I live in Lethbridge. Where are you located now??

I do know about removing the tumbler as it works the same way on my '48 and '53. Only problem is if you do not have a key, it can't be done unless at a locksmith.