3 passenger business coupes

jbchevypower

Dodgeb4ya, on 04 Jan 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

Don,

The twin coils are needed because of the vintage odd distributor.

It's a "Spalding Flamethrower" distributor that uses an ignition  coil to feed each side of the distributor ...one coil for the left bank and one for the right bank.

Pics are not of my distributor. I found a NOS one.

That is way cool. Is the coil saturation time twice that of a stock distributor? Where did you find a NOS unit? Did they make one for a six banger?

I don't own one...yet.

They sure are pretty!

I found one I really love, but I suspect it is way out of my price range.

Rob

FL0114-180590_7.jpg?lastmod=012214134806

Nice looking '42 Chrysler business coupe. They have a lot of unique pieces, especially the plastic inside.

Edited by RobertKB

That is way cool. Is the coil saturation time twice that of a stock distributor? Where did you find a NOS unit? Did they make one for a six banger?

I always thought they were cool as my brother bought one new for his Chevy 409 back in 1967

.I found this NOS Spalding distributor at the Portland Oregon swap meet 20 years ago for $200.0

It uses a 4 lobe cam-dual points for longer saturation...

No I don't think they made one of these distributors for a six banger engine.

There are no new replacement parts for these distributors other than points and condensors.

Some guys are retro-fitting them with modern electronic ignition parts.

They sell for quite a bit of$$$ these days.

On the HAMB there is some info on the Spalding or later Grant Flamethrower distributors. .

Bob, thanks for the info, good to learn something new................its a neat setup, especially so with the Spalding dissy.........andyd 

• Like 1

Well, I stand corrected on that one.  I wonder why they would only make one 1952 Chrysler Imperial 3 window coupe?  Wouldn't they be wasting a lot of tooling to just make one, or does it share its cab with a 52 Dodge or something? 

Hello from Finland! Thank you for accepting me in group. I have 42 desoto business coupe project car.Other cars I have are 38 Desoto 2d sedan and 48 4d Dodge...sorry my poor english..., J-P

• Like 1

Hello from Finland! Thank you for accepting me in group. I have 42 desoto business coupe project car.Other cars I have are 38 Desoto 2d sedan and 48 4d Dodge...sorry my poor english..., J-P

Welcome to the community!

Your S10 ( not a Chevy- DeSoto model designation) DeSoto 3 pass coupe isn't the blue one from Seattle is it?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

My '48 Plymouth 

IMG 7984 2

Ed,

Here is a not so good pic of it when i got it out of the garage...

There's a scene to make me jealous, nice garage/collection you got there.

Edited by 61farnham

I always liked those 50 Plymouth and Dodge 3 window coupes!  So compact!  In fact, I used to own a 50 Plymouth 3-window coupe in the 1980s.  Mine wasn't in the best of shape.  I had to rebuild the motor and replace the clutch, and the floors had rotted out.  Replaced them with sheet metal and screws.  Found out that's not the way to fix floors.  Every time I got in the driver's seat the sheet metal would go "bloingggg!!!!"

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Tervetuloa!  Yes there are a few American Finns hanging around this fourm too. Mikä osa Suomen? Minun suhteet ovat Oulunsalossa ja Raahessa. :)

Your S10 ( not a Chevy- DeSoto model designation) DeSoto 3 pass coupe isn't the blue one from Seattle is it?

No,...As I know,my car came somewhere near Los Angeles...and it was in grey primer.Only thing I know from cars history is that it has been in some collector a long time and someone repaired frame and driveline...but obviosly a long time ago,engine runs but clutch leaks oil...Missing some parts too...There were blue one in Sweden but I think it is in Germany now...Some videos in youtube from that car...J-P